Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

rbcne28903 Steve Studer
Wilmington, NC, USA   USA
1955 MG TF
Does anyone know where to find a quality oil pan gasket for the '55 MGTF 1500 engine? The ones carried by Abingdon and Moss are so poorly made they are basically useless. Bolt holes don't line up, the ends have to be cut to length and the cork rear seal is .040" wider than the groove it's suppose to go into. Same with the timing cover gasket. The alignment was so bad I had make my own. I don't believe anyone minds paying a little more if it means getting a minimumquality product.

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
EXU1949 Avatar
EXU1949 Advertiser Ed C
Middletown, CT, USA   USA
1947 MG TC
1952 MG TD
1972 MG MGB GT
1977 MG MGB
Abingdon Spares carries XPAG and XPEG sump gaskets that fit perfectly, see photo. We have worked closely with the manufacture in the UK to insure that they do.
We fit them to our own cars, as we do with a variety of parts that we sell. abingdonspares.com
If you are not happy with parts you buy from us, let us know, we have a very generous return/refund policy.

Attachments:
sump gasket 1.JPG    35.1 KB
sump gasket 1.JPG

Yes No Thank
rbcne28903 Steve Studer
1955 MG TF
Thank You Abingdon Spares for the quick response.
Although your photo shows five holes lining up I'm still skeptical because your catalog photo looks exactly like the one that shows up everywhere else, as if it can off the small die-cutting stamper. Obviously there is not much demand for MGTF gaskets these days so one would assume there is most likely only one manufacturer and everyone is selling their product. Even if it delays my project another week I will be purchasing an oil pan gasket set from Abingdon Spares ASAP because I'm tired of dealing with parts that don't fit.

The attached photo shows how I shaved .040" off the rear main cork seal so it will fit into the rear main groove.

Attachments:
20190306_170613.jpg    35.1 KB
20190306_170613.jpg

Yes No Thank
GB3 George B
Winter Haven, USA   USA
FYI- The sump gasket was originally made to be trimmed- see photo in the factory workshop manual, but the holes should line up. The paper timing cover gaskets should be soaked in water, then they relax and the holes fit well. The rear cork seal is made to be a tight almost press fit into the main cap groove as it squashes down. You have to remember all parts today are aftermarket/repros, with quality and fit all over the place. It is a good idea to post questions about current parts quality and suppliers on this and the MG cars.org board as you will get straight answers. Moss and Abingdon have always given me great service and satisfaction dealing with any parts problems in the 47 years I have been working on these cars. However, if you want perfect fitting exactly as original parts, its not going to happen. You have to stick to something modern like a Miata! George

Yes No Thank
rbcne28903 Steve Studer
1955 MG TF
I apologize if I offended anyone or any supplier with my question and comments. As much as I like the T-series MG's I find it easy to understand why they leave a mess on the garage floor.

Yes No Thank
EXU1949 Avatar
EXU1949 Advertiser Ed C
Middletown, CT, USA   USA
1947 MG TC
1952 MG TD
1972 MG MGB GT
1977 MG MGB
We always appreciate feedback from our customers, we certainly try to resolve any issues that we can. Since being here at Abingdon Spares we have sent that sump gasket back to the manufacturer in UK twice for fine tuning. It should fit fine, we have a spare XPAG sump here that we tested it on.

Yes No Thank
rbcne28903 Steve Studer
1955 MG TF
I have one on the way from Abingdon Spares and should be here Monday. I'll let you know how it fits.

Yes No Thank
Ctwidle Chris Twidle
Reesville, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1954 MG TF
Steve, gasket material is essentially a type of paper which, being a hygroscopic material, is very susceptible to changes in dimensions with atmospheric moisture content. I believe it is common practice to increase or decrease the moisture content of the gasket paper until it is a close match to those prevailing when it was made and a fit is achieved.
Chris

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster