MGB Distributor in XPAG engine

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Paul J Avatar
Locust Grove, OK, USA   USA
Will any MGB distributor work in an XPAG engine without modifying? A friend wants to know and I can't answer his question. PJ

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Interceptor Avatar
Interceptor Mike Brand
Shenandoah Valley, VA, USA   USA
1955 MG TF 1500 "The TF"
1956 Volvo TP21 "Sugga"
1963 Jaguar E-Type Coupe "401K"
1967 MG MGB GT "The GT"    & more
I don't know about Shaft Length......but the Drive is different...isn't it? You would have to a Gear on the end of the B Dist. Perhaps I should just admit that I'm not certain as I can't always trust my memory.

Dave Braun Avatar
Webster, MN, USA   USA
1952 MG TD "Tommy"
1970 MG MGB "Maggie"
1974 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Sammy"
Paul, they are not interchangeable without a ridiculous amount of machining and rework.

Dave

Member Services:
dbraun99 LLC offers Carburetor Bench Services on SU Carburetors. We offer fast turn around, superior polishing and plating of all hardware. See www.dbraun99.com for pricing.
Steve S Avatar
Abingdon West, Southern California, USA   USA
He already asked on the MGE forum and got some good info. Apparently it can be done.

EDIT: Oops that was you asking there also! drinking smiley I saw the friend comment and assumed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-09 11:36 AM by Steve S.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Paul J Avatar
Locust Grove, OK, USA   USA
Thanks, fellows, I'll tell him to send his out and have it rebuilt. He has a couple of good B distributors, but I didn't think they were interchangeable without a lot of work and didn't want to give out bad information. Thanks again. PJ

Fsisson Avatar
Fsisson fred sisson
nashville, IN, USA   USA
1938 Morgan 3 Wheeler
1950 MG TD "007"
I've done it and it is easy. Ran a B distributor with vacuum advance in my TD for 5 years... removed the vacuum advance and have been running it with the supercharger for 2 years. As I remember fit the gear from the old TD distributor to the B distributor and a slight mod to the clamp. The gear is fixed on the shaft with a split pin. Amazing how similar the various Brit distributors are. I have a TR dist, Mini Cooper S, MGB and LandRover... all simply modified to work in my English Ford engine...

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster