AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

MGTCMD Michael Donnelly
South Glastonbury, CT, USA   USA
1949 MG TC
Hi,

I'm finally tackling the restoration of my dad's '49 xpag TC. It was red/black when he originally got it and had been raced. When he restored it in the '70's he went with a cream body and black fenders two-tone, with black interior.

Now that we have a blank slate, we're discussing color options. The fenders, hood, tub, etc., are in the process of being stripped and primed.

He and I both like the dark-green (BRG?) and tan interior (cracker?). However, the current interior is black. The seats need recovering but the door cards and other trim including side-curtains are good. It does need a new top.

Is green/black an original combination for a '49 TC? Keeping the interior black saves us a little bit of cost/effort but we're more concerned with making sure it's an original combination.

Thanks,

Michael.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Jack Long Avatar
Forest Hill, MD, USA   USA
1955 MG TF 1500 "Harriet"
1974 MG MGB "Lucy"
I am very fond of Clipper Blue on TCs and think that would look great with your black interior.

MGTCMD Michael Donnelly
1949 MG TC
In reply to # 2869132 by Jack Long I am very fond of Clipper Blue on TCs and think that would look great with your black interior.

Thanks. Nice color on a TC I agree. However we're going green and would like to know if black interior was an original combination.

Thanks again.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
damnfingers Avatar
damnfingers Gold Member Gene Gillam
Saucier, MS, USA   USA
Green was a body color...and black was an interior color...but BRG was not a TC color. The TC green was called Apple Green and is light, not at all the dark green you're thinking of. BUT...it's your car and YOU only have to please yourself so if you like BRG...do it! Car shows are seldom concours shows, they're normally Popular Choice and believe me, a BRG TC is much prettier than an Apple Green one (IMHO).

Paul J Avatar
Locust Grove, OK, USA   USA
Gene, I never asked before, but what engine is in your TC? Looks like a well thought out mod. PJ

damnfingers Avatar
Saucier, MS, USA   USA
Paul,

It's a 1250 bored 80 over, big valves, Saenz rods, J&E pistons, John Targett billet crank, Len Fanelli roller cam, early Peddicord supercharger. It's strong but not quick...I've got a 4.22 rearend and a Hi-Gear 5 speed in it so it's much more a reliable cruiser than a race car.

Gene

erikxpag Avatar
erikxpag erik van hardeveld
Elst (Utr.), Utrecht, Netherlands   NLD
1938 MG TA
1952 MG TD
Hello,

It seems, that black was not an original factory interiorcolour at all.
Maybe some of the later Tc's had it it (1949)

See for all colourpossibilities "TC Forever" page 75 and 200/218, and "The Original MG T-series" page 63.

I have a BRG MG TD with biscuit interior myself and also like the combination very much.
(see pic with hardtop)
The BRG colour is actually "Connaught Green", a Morgan colour, and I've had a lot of positive reactions on this combination..

For as far as the top is concerned, I did this also in biscuit, but would never do that again,
It gets very dirty and I would advise black.

MGgreetings
Erik van Hardeveld
The Netherlands

Attachments:
EIGENAAR4241 - eigenaar4241 - cam00369.jpg    71.7 KB
EIGENAAR4241 - eigenaar4241 - cam00369.jpg

damnfingers Avatar
Saucier, MS, USA   USA
Erik...you're correct...went back and looked...I had misread this: http://www.mg-tabc.org/special-files/mg-tc-colours-v2.1.pdf

Buckdendave David Hill
St Neots, Cambridgeshire, UK   GBR
1954 MG TF
That's a very interesting comment regarding Connaught Green.
The 1954-61 ICI Belco BMC colour range did not include BRG, so I have been wondering for some time where it came from or if an alternative name was used. However there was a Connaught Green / Dark Green P030-3302 which looks very much like BRG. This seems to be a more likely source than Morgan, who I think frequently borrowed colours from elsewhere. The time period I indicate isn't quite right for the TC but it immediately follows it and many of the paint colours did not change over the period. Do you have anything to corroborate that BRG was indeed Connaught Green?
Dave H

MGTCMD Michael Donnelly
1949 MG TC
In reply to # 2869575 by erikxpag Hello,

See for all colourpossibilities "TC Forever" page 75 and 200/218, and "The Original MG T-series" page 63.

I have a BRG MG TD with biscuit interior myself and also like the combination very much.
(see pic with hardtop)
The BRG colour is actually "Connaught Green", a Morgan colour, and I've had a lot of positive reactions on this combination..

For as far as the top is concerned, I did this also in biscuit, but would never do that again,
It gets very dirty and I would advise black.

MGgreetings
Erik van Hardeveld
The Netherlands

Wow, beautiful car and I do love the color combination. Is that the guard dog?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-10 05:37 PM by MGTCMD.

MGTCMD Michael Donnelly
1949 MG TC
In reply to # 2869331 by damnfingers Green was a body color...and black was an interior color...but BRG was not a TC color. The TC green was called Apple Green and is light, not at all the dark green you're thinking of. BUT...it's your car and YOU only have to please yourself so if you like BRG...do it! Car shows are seldom concours shows, they're normally Popular Choice and believe me, a BRG TC is much prettier than an Apple Green one (IMHO).

My dad told me the original BRG was a "tribute" to the Irish when racing there, and that it was a pale (apple) green. Not sure how much of this is fact or hearsay. I'm looking for the dark-green color that many still refer to as BRG.

MGTCMD Michael Donnelly
1949 MG TC
In reply to # 2869575 by erikxpag Hello,

Thanks again Erik. Are these publications (or pages of) available online or should I purchase them in hard copy? By the way, my dad's TC is one of the last xpags to come off the line in '49.

erikxpag Avatar
erikxpag erik van hardeveld
Elst (Utr.), Utrecht, Netherlands   NLD
1938 MG TA
1952 MG TD
Hello again,
I've been away for the weekend, so I did not react earlier.

Concerning "Connaught Green": I had my MG TD sprayed in this colour after I saw a Morgan of that colour on my holidays in France in 1996.
I followed the Englishman driving it and asked him for the colour when he stopped in the next village (fortunately he did not drive on until Paris)

Last year I bought a Wolseley 4/44 (same engine as MG TD and TC) in a similar shade of green, and in the dashboard locker was a small tin of paint: connaught green.

So it has been a Wolseley colour also!!!

See pic for the Wolseley.

Erik

Attachments:
Wolseley 4-44 006.JPG    61.6 KB
Wolseley 4-44 006.JPG

Buckdendave David Hill
St Neots, Cambridgeshire, UK   GBR
1954 MG TF
That is correct, Connaught Green was a Wolseley paint colour and a Morris paint colour in the 1950s. Whether it was the same as what became known as British Racing Green still seems an open question, but could well be true.
Dave H

MGTCMD Michael Donnelly
1949 MG TC
Hi,

This restoration is progressing nicely. I'm using a shop in Plainville, CT called Sports Car Restoration... real craftsman. We've decided on the dark-green with tan interior. What color should the frame be, black or green?

Thanks.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster