AutoShrine Sponsor

winstrol Avatar
winstrol John Elwood
Jaffrey, NH, USA   USA
1953 MG TD
1959 MG Magnette MkIII
1962 Jaguar Mark X
1963 MG 1100 "Jenna Jameson"    & more
I don’t know what magazine this from, but a scraper website called planetcarsz picked it up. Shows a few assembly photos...

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member

Attachments:
EB5DC193-CC80-4A46-A793-657590143397.jpeg    71.1 KB
EB5DC193-CC80-4A46-A793-657590143397.jpeg

Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
farmer bob Avatar
farmer bob robert gressard
Streetsboro, OH, USA   USA
Great car. I am glad you bought it and are so proud. The door fixtures are found on the early Ferrari. My 1952 225 0178ed had the same ones. I have a friend in NH that has a Arnolt. You might know him thru the NEMGT register. His name is Rick Smith. I can have him call you if you like. I am sad to see it leave Ohio. John was the only owner in the cars history. Cheers Bob.

Yes No Thank
plus4moggie Tom Lange
Bar Harbor, ME, USA   USA
The illustrations are from Sports Car Album by John Wheelock Freeman, photos by Alexandre Georges. Fawcett Book 181. 1953, pp. 137, 136 (switched above).

I had no idea that Kiner's car was lacking gaskets, etc.; I had thought of it as a time capsule.

Please contact me off-line. tlange@acadia.net

Tom Lange
Arnolt owner

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-15 11:15 PM by plus4moggie.

Yes No Thank
Franz1234 Franz R
Vienna, Austria   AUT
1948 MG TC
A beautiful car, something special.

Enjoy it

Franz

Yes No Thank
winstrol Avatar
winstrol John Elwood
Jaffrey, NH, USA   USA
1953 MG TD
1959 MG Magnette MkIII
1962 Jaguar Mark X
Nah, it’s no time capsule. The bondo on the drivers side sill is probably the worst of it, but the car looks good in the fleeting glance it will mostly get smiling smiley. I think this car has a front bumper turned upside down and used as a rear bumper. I found another front bumper in Kiner’s shed so he might have gone though a couple parts cars too over the years. So... any one want to trade a front bumper for a rear?

If I’d seen this car in person before bidding, I would not have bid so high. I set a max bid of 34000 because with the 15% buyer premium that was just about $40k, which was Hagerty “good” valuation. In person, the car is fair. So I overpaid $10k, but the only other Arnolt on the market is in Germany and is €85000. So my option was between paying too much and not having an Arnolt at all. I’m a little suspicious of the “max bid” feature on the Kaufman Auctions website because the guy I was bidding against stopped $50 short of my max bid. $50 later someone else would have owned this car.

The good news about it not being perfect... I can enjoy it. With new tires, a new harness from autosparks, a bunch of brake bits and other rubber perishables and it’ll become a parking lot fixture around the New Hampshire Monadnock region. The owners son is confident that John Kiner was an MG mechanic/expert and that it does not need mechanical attention. Oh and I got the giant Magnaflow muffler caught on the trailer when unloading so it needs an exhaust now... so with tire and misc I figure it’ll be on the road for $1500 in parts (more or less, with a new radiator being the big maybe).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-16 08:55 AM by winstrol.

+1 Yes No Thank
  hvyoungjr thanked winstrol for this post
mgttype Silver Member Sherwood Parker
Tempe, AZ, USA   USA
John,

Welcome to Wacky's wonderful world of Arnolt MGs.

We other owners are standing by to assist in whatever way you may need.

It would appear that all the rare bits are still there, which is a big bonus. The remainder is just time and $$$.

Enjoy, and email when you need something.

Sherwood
Still bringing Coupe 290 back from the dead.

Yes No Thank
10kpharo Avatar
10kpharo Gold Member Julian L
Windsor Lodge, West Coast of New York, USA   USA
1955 Austin A30 Van
2007 Ford F-150 Pickup "Clifford The Big Red Truck"
Absolutely spectacular. One of my favorite GT designs of all time.

"We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane" - Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

Interested in Austin cars? Check out my Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/orphanaustincars/

Yes No Thank
bobbygee Avatar
bobbygee Silver Member bobby galvez
Round Rock, TX, USA   USA
1952 MG TD "Duckie Tee"
1979 MG MGB "Duckie Too"
Great looking Arnolt, John!

Sherwood - I didn't know that you also have an Arnolt. I thought you only had "Ol' One Door." grinning smiley

Best from Round Rock of Texas,

BobbyG

Yes No Thank
winstrol Avatar
winstrol John Elwood
Jaffrey, NH, USA   USA
1953 MG TD
1959 MG Magnette MkIII
1962 Jaguar Mark X
Time for an Arnolt update... I've been doing my Arnolt due diligence because its too cold to do the brakes. I was sent this photo from the 1953 Turin Auto show. Long story but basically the Arnolt MG wasn't called the Arnolt MG yet at the 1952 "Salone Dell'Automobile" because Mr Arnolt hadn't see the car yet and cooked up a deal with Nuccio Bertone... but by 1953 it was the Arnolt. The other change was that the hump which starts the rear fender moved from the rear fender to partially on the door. So if you see an Arnolt without the rear fender swage on the door, you might have discovered the prototype.

Anyway, Sherwood mailed me a nice thumb drive full of Arnolt photographs. Most (if not all) had standard MG TD steering wheels. Some had antennas. None were slanted back. All humps start on the door smiling smiley

Now look at this Turin show car... hump on the door, of course, but it has a steering wheel with little dots along the back. It also has a tilted back antenna on the driver's side. Hmmm... so does my car. Plus my car has a chromed jack, chrome braces under the bonnet, and a Bertone logo on the shift knob and e-brake handle. I took the dotted-back steering wheel off and it says "Nardi & C ND Torino" on the back. Ok I'm fantasizing here and can never prove it... but wouldn't it be nice to think it's the Turin show car?

Attachments:
Arnolt MG Bertone[1737].jpg    56.3 KB
Arnolt MG Bertone[1737].jpg

Yes No Thank
groucho Avatar
groucho Marquis Claude
Chardonne, Vaud, Switzerland   CHE
Congratulations, it's a beautiful and interesting car. I am sur you will enjoy driving it very soon...

Yes No Thank
plus4moggie Tom Lange
Bar Harbor, ME, USA   USA
John - there are a couple of "factory" (by that I take it to mean Bertone) photos on eBay; be careful; they are re-photographs, not authentic vintage images.
But they are very clearly the prototypes.

You can very clearly see the rear fender bump-up moved from the (prototype's rear) fender to the (production car's) door, when comparing John's Turin, and the eBay photos. You can also see different bumper and over-rider configurations, when comparing other photos.

Nardi was the best-known supplier of speed parts, fittings and after-market goodies for cars at that time; they sold dual- and triple-carb conversions, 5-speed gearboxes, etc. - they could be ordered through the car manufacturer. They are best-known for their steering wheels, which are the world standard. The "dots" you see on ther back of the wheel are the rivets holding the wood to the rim, and are not unique; I also would not trust the fender-mirror angle; they would put on whatever they had at hand.

The unusually-chromed parts are interesting, and much more suggestive of a show car.

Tom Lange
MGT Repair
Arnolt V-8 coupe

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-25 07:06 AM by plus4moggie.

Yes No Thank
mgttype Silver Member Sherwood Parker
Tempe, AZ, USA   USA
OK, John time for an update.

Sherwood

Yes No Thank
mgm1967 Avatar
mgm1967 Silver Member Mike M.
East Arkansas, AR, USA   USA
How much does the average car sell for? Too bad more of these were not made.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-21 06:20 PM by mgm1967.

Attachments:
IMG_20190221_181533_206.jpg    40.8 KB
IMG_20190221_181533_206.jpg

Yes No Thank
winstrol Avatar
winstrol John Elwood
Jaffrey, NH, USA   USA
1953 MG TD
1959 MG Magnette MkIII
1962 Jaguar Mark X
Ha ok, the update is... there is an “Arnolt Reunion” at the Greenwich Concours in June. They’ve invited every Arnolt ever made, including Mike Arnolt, who will be attending. With this event in mind, I sent a big pile of cash to Goleta and in return received basically every piece of rubber a TD needs. All bushing, hoses, all brake parts, gaskets, a radiator, and everything else a sleeping MG TD needs for a wake up. Coker Tire blinded me with five lovely BF Goodrich bias plies too. Oh and I needed a new exhaust because I ripped the old one off when it got caught on the trailer. So now there is a nice pile of parts waiting for me. So why I haven’t torn into the car yet? Well, first I wanted to make sure I really could not get my 92 XJS running. I’m now certain it will never run again, so it’s off the lift. Then for no good reason, the 96 XJ12 made a terrible noise and wouldn’t start. Turned out the starter nose cone broke off and got wedged in the flywheel. While it was apart I took the chance to replace the leaking steering rack... it’s all done. Problem #3 is that I took apart my workshop to paint it. It’s done, but no more pegboard. A new tool chest is due March 3rd, which would take care of the 15 Sterilite totes currently serving as a toolbox. Problem #4 was the very fancy factory hub puller 18G304 I got off eBay turned out to have galled threads. What sort of tap and die is required? 11/16th 11tpi Whitworth. That’s done.

So what’s next... by Saturday afternoon, the shock should be off and on their way to Madison Wisconsin.

The wheels are dull dull dull, so I’m cooking up a way to polish the aluminum by mounting the wheels on a brake drum lathe and letting them spin.

Jury is still out on whether or not suspension bits get powdercoated or just slapped back into place with new rubber.

How’s that for lots of words and no progress?

Oh, and I dared tell my parents that I bought car #12. They think I’m nuts and regret buying that MGB when I was 12.

Yes No Thank
Michael C Michael Calvert
Hobart, Tasmania, Australia   AUS
John,

Thank you for sharing the thoughtful and interesting selection of photos. There was a lot there that was new to me.

Kind regards,
Michael

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster