AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Reno Avatar
Reno Reno Cassar
Zabbar, Malta   MLT
Good morning

I am thinking to manufacture the glovebox. I would like to do it myself but I never saw one.

I would like to do it as near original as possible.

Did anyone do this job.

Do you have any recomendations?

Regards
Reno Cassar

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
C0wb0y Avatar
C0wb0y Richard C
Sedona, AZ, USA   USA
1953 MG TD
Hey Reno,

The glovebox is really nothing more than a fiberboard sheet wrapped into a tube shape with a panel stapled to one end. This "box" is then attached to the backside of the passenger-side dash where the glovebox door is cut and fitted. Abingdon Spares (My first choice for TD parts) sells the glovebox (https://abingdonspares.com/products/glove-box) and all associated hardware for such a reasonable price that it seems like a lot of trouble to manufacture one of your own.

Richard

cunhab Avatar
cunhab Bruce Cunha
Placerville, CA, USA   USA
1950 MG TD
1967 MG MGB GT
Ren0. I built all the shelving in a 79 Spitfire. It is similar in construction to the TD glove box. Unsure where you can find the gray/brown color used for the TD box, but as the reproductions are that color, it should be available.

What I used is a Waterproof Panelboard. I used black, but they do have tan also.

https://www.perfectfit.com/15347/154532/Chipboard-Car-Panelboard/Kraft-Tan-Waterproof-Panelboard.html

One thing I learned that works well is when bending it, draw a line, wet the line and heat it with a steam iron. Once soft, it bends easily and then says bent.

The TD box is riveted with I believe split rivets.

AS a DIY project. This one should be easy to do.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster