The all-new Front Page News Feed is now live   Read the announcement
MGExp

T-Series & Prewar Forum

Fuse grilled on my MG TF!

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

MGTF1500 Ardeche France Avatar
MGTF1500 Ardeche France Thierry SUCHIER
TOURNON SUR RHONE, Rhône-Alpes Auvergne, France   FRA
Hello friends,

Yesterday I realized while driving that I had no more flashing lights ...
This morning, check and I see that the fuse between A3 and A4 is blown!
This is I think a fuse from home "17A continuous 35 AMP blow" It is advisable to mount a 20 amp fuse (European)
As I am not one to not look for the cause, I need your help?
I did not change anything on the circuit except the complete refit of the ignition by Distrib Doctor with the installation of an electronic ignition, new cabochons of candles, in short all redone.

Sincerely, Thierry de l'Ardèche, South of France

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
Buckdendave David Hill
St Neots, Cambridgeshire, UK   GBR
1954 MG TF
You need to check the wiring and replace the fuse with the same type and rating. If it blows again then something is wrong. Never replace a fuse with a higher rating to fix a problem, as the fuse is there to protect the wiring.
Dave H

Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
MGTF1500 Ardeche France Avatar
MGTF1500 Ardeche France Thierry SUCHIER
TOURNON SUR RHONE, Rhône-Alpes Auvergne, France   FRA
David
Precisely, how is it done to check the wiring?
Should there be a short circuit somewhere?
I remember operating the windshield wipers ...
Sincerely, Thierry de l'Ardèche, South of France

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
Buckdendave David Hill
St Neots, Cambridgeshire, UK   GBR
1954 MG TF
The first place to check is any wiring that you have modified recently and especially any wiring associated with the flashing lights (I assume you mean indicators). You are looking for an earth leak especially. Set a test meter on the resistance scale and check the resistance between live and earth at every point possible on the indicator circuit - all should have very high resistance. When and if resistance drops to near zero you are close to solving the problem. Other possibilities are a connection that has pulled out and is touching the body or chassis, therefore running to earth, or a faulty socket. Do all this with power disconnected.
Dave H



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-08 08:20 AM by Buckdendave.

Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
MGTF1500 Ardeche France Avatar
MGTF1500 Ardeche France Thierry SUCHIER
TOURNON SUR RHONE, Rhône-Alpes Auvergne, France   FRA
Here, I found, it is the windshield wiper motor that is in short circuit.
In my previous post, I was talking about the wiper motor (wiper motor) ... and not the indicators (indicators for you)
Sincerely, Thierry de l'Ardèche, South of France

Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
boumian Marcel Schaepman
Saillans, drome, France   FRA
Hello everybody
My solution when I meet this kind of problem is to put a headlight bulb in place of the fuse. And then try to get this bulb off. When you are working with thin wires, take a 20 watt bulb, not 60.

Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member

To add your reply, or post your own questions




Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!


Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster





Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1962 MG Midget MkI

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links