AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Float Charger
  This topic is about my 1952 MG D-Type Midget
dbmurphyusa Silver Member David Murphy
Lakewood, CO, USA   USA
HI,
Have a '67 B and 52 TD. Like to drive them "from time to time". Looks like a "float charger" or two would be good for me. Harbor Freight has one for $5 on special from $10. Mechanic son says float charger is a good idea, but would he trust a $5 one?

Would you?

Thanks
Dave

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
EXLU3453 Avatar
EXLU3453 Colin T
Brantford, ON, Canada   CAN
They are all made in China..... they will work til they burn out. Usually are 1 amp at that price, shouldn't cause too much trouble.
... CR

Yes No Thank
Paul J Avatar
Locust Grove, OK, USA   USA
This is what I use on everything other than my large tractor batteries, a B&D. The second one is what I use on the large tractors. I would not use a $5.00 one on anything I have. PJ

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-15 08:16 AM by Paul J.

Attachments:
s-l1000.jpg    28.3 KB
s-l1000.jpg

71bNAilBiEL._AC_UL480_FMwebp_QL65_.jpg    13.7 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Yes No Thank
Frank C MGTF Avatar
Frank C MGTF Frank C
Chelmsford, MA, USA   USA
1953 MG TF "Ashleigh"
Check out the Swedish technology..... I use CTEK chargers. They are more expensive that the 10 dollar Harbor Freight but with multiple cars - modern and vintage, riding mowers, motorcycle... they work great.

You can get them at a reasonable cost on Amazon.

CTEK 5.0

Frank Cronin
TF 1414

Attachments:
mxs_5.0-web-big-1.jpeg    17.1 KB
mxs_5.0-web-big-1.jpeg

Yes No Thank
Buckdendave David Hill
St Neots, Cambridgeshire, UK   GBR
1954 MG TF
Yes - I have one as well, highly recommended.
Dave H

Yes No Thank
wiia WILLIAM ADAMS
Terre Haute, IN, USA   USA
The B&D charger/maintainer is excellent and is available from Walmart for around $20US. I have several. They work and keep working. The Harbor Freight float charger will only maintain whatever charge level exists in the battery when connected; it doesn't charge. If the charging system is good; it's OK, but if it is desired to raise the battery to full charge and maintain it there, the B&D unit or a comparable charger/maintainer should be considered.

Bill

1961 MGA
1955 MG TF-1500
1954 Chevrolet 3100

Yes No Thank
Paul J Avatar
Locust Grove, OK, USA   USA
This is the battery in a couple of my diesel tractors and they're maintained all winter with a BD charger, never a problem, a $60.00 charger didn't work as well as it would overcharge and that's not acceptable on a $160.00 battery! Not saying there aren't other good charger/maintainers out there, but I'll stick with what works for me. thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-19 04:01 PM by Paul J.

Attachments:
Exide Battery.jpg    13 KB
Exide Battery.jpg

Yes No Thank
Ctwidle Chris Twidle
Reesville, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1954 MG TF
I heartily recommend a sophisticated charger of caliber of the CTEK. I keep one for its ability to perform a desulphation cycle which can rejuvenate a tired battery. I also keep a few cheap trickle/float chargers for use when I am away for long periods. In a perfect world they would all be smart ones which continually monitor the battery voltage and adjust their output rather than simply maintaining a steady voltage.

The only problem I have had was when trying to recharge a very flat battery. A smart charger needs to sense a minimum voltage or it assumes it is open circuit. A small 9v battery briefly connected in parallel is enough to get it started.

Chris

Yes No Thank
ArchieMcAllister Avatar
ArchieMcAllister Gold Member Archie McAllister
Cleveland, TN, USA   USA
I use the "BatteryMinder" sold by Northern Tool. Like CTEK, it has desulfator technology and comes is various models, depending on how much you want to spend, but all have the desulfator circuitry. I use the most model, pictured below, and they work great. The battery in my boat is now 10 years old, always being maintained over the winter with one of these units. Batteries in the TF and Sprite have also lasted well past the expected life span. About $25 at Northern Tool, online or in the store.

Archie McAllister
1955 MG TF1500
68 Austin Healey Sprite

Attachments:
BatteryMinder.jpg    40.7 KB
BatteryMinder.jpg

+1 Yes No Thank
chasloew Charles Loew
Fort Wayne, IN, USA   USA
1954 MG TF 1500
1976 MG MGB
I have a Harbor Salvage one that I used last Winter and it worked fine. Soon, I'll be able to tell you if it worked this year as well. They are good to have and a better one may give more peace of mind. I'm not worried about it failing to charge, but more concerned about fire. -- Chas

Yes No Thank
sws615 Avatar
sws615 Stephen Struck
Grand Haven, MI, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB GT
1975 MG MGB "Commission # G23N124120"
2015 Acura MDX
2015 BMW 535xi
Technical merits aside, I'd spend more money in the hope that the reliability is better. Our roadster gets stored for 7 months each year with someone checking only twice a month. I've always worried about the trickle charger malfunctioning and starting a fire. $20-30 or more seems a small price to pay for peace of mind vs. saving a few bucks. Actually, I now just disconnect the battery and put it on the charger when I get back. Don't like to trust anything for that long a period of time.

Steve

Yes No Thank
Flyseawing Avatar
Flyseawing Silver Member Dave F
Miami, FL, USA   USA
Many years ago, I found myself in a battery factory buying unusual batteries for an underwater scooter. I noticed that they were selling BatteryMINDer trickle chargers for the then outrageous price of $50. The rep told me that the desulfating function was unique and well worth it. I bought one and haven't looked back. Now I have one on my motorcycle, two on boats, and two on collector cars. In the past ten years, I've only had to replace one battery out of the six (one maintainer charges two batteries in one of the boats). I used to buy one motorcycle battery every year.

Since then, they have changed the graphics on the unit, but the old style are still sold at Northern Tools for about $25. I assume the technology has been duplicated by other companies, but at $25, the BatteryMINDer has become a bargain.

I do use a $5 Harbor Freight float charger on my riding lawn mower. It always fires up immediately, but I only get about four years out of the battery.

+1 Yes No Thank
dbmurphyusa Silver Member David Murphy
Lakewood, CO, USA   USA
Hi,

I asked the question originally and once again am appreciative of the forum and its breath and depth of discussion on every topic.

On the TD, I have determined the battery is shot. So I will get a new one today.

On the B, it has a brand new battery.

Both are Hagerty cars so driven only for good weather pleasure.

I've decide with new batteries, and a desire to keep them charged during non-use up to about 3 month, I will be using two Black and Decker float chargers. I particularly like the terminal rings put on the clamp bolts which provides for a quick connect/disconnect. This feature is NOT an exclusive, but happily included at this price point.

Thanks again to all responders. I feel I have excellent data to make a decision.

Dave

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster