Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

tlempicke Silver Member Thomas Lempicke
Greenwood, SC, USA   USA
1954 MG TF "OLD Green Car"
I have a 1054 TF with a 1250 engine in it. I would like to buy a new distributor with electronic ignition already installed. In this way I could put it in and put the old ignition setup aside in case I wanted to switch it back. I have done this to two MG b's that I have owned and it was a good and easy conversion that made running around with the car a lot more fun.

Does anyone know what and where this would be available?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
crankjournal Avatar
crankjournal Len Fanelli
Yonkers, NY, USA   USA
I bought a CSI (Classic Sport Ignition) direct from them, for my TD, it should be delivered today or tomorrow. Built on an MGA housing, I do not know if the housing is new or reconditioned. It has about 14 ? different custom advance curves and has a vacuum advance to work with my MGA/ 100-4 carburetors!
Len Fanelli
Abingdon Performance Ltd.

buscar Avatar
buscar Silver Member Carlo Busato
Canberra, ACT, Australia   AUS
1953 MG TD
I'm looking at a 123ignition.de to eventually replace my unknown Lucas copy distributor which is on its last legs I think. They have a specific XPAG replacement distributor (with cam drive gear), its a bit pricey from 459 euros for the entry model, but it is a complete new body. Will also have to change to modern ignition cables (not the original copper wire leads) with push on connectors.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Fsisson Avatar
Fsisson fred sisson
nashville, IN, USA   USA
1938 Morgan 3 Wheeler
1950 MG TD "007"
I converted a MG B electronic distributor to fit my TD. Only required changing the gear on the distributor. I bought mine from sports car parts limited, Knoxville tn, brand new, good warrany, $139.00 includes cap and sports coil! I tapped into the intake manifold and hooked up the vacuum advance. Gained 5mpg and cooler idling. Time at 29 degrees at 3-3500 rpm with vacuum disconected. 7 years, nary a problem, car starts instantly.

Check Sports Car Parts out... very good prices and good service.

Ps: when I added the supercharger I simply removed the vacuum advance and upped the timing to 31 degrees btdc... and the centrifugal advance alone matches the Moss recommended timing. My guess is that they too used a B dist with no vacuum advance and found it worked well.
Vacuum advance does NOT work with supercharging. It is possible to build a pressure RETARD distributor for use with a blower,
I have done it on a supercharged race car I built but it is a lot easier and more precise to use electronics these days.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-09 12:02 AM by Fsisson.

Greenwood, SC, USA   USA
I bought two of those for different MGB's that I have had and the results were excellent.

How complicated was it to change the drive so that it had the gear that is required for the TF?

hurst280 Avatar
hurst280 Gold Member Sean D
Plano, TX, USA   USA
1954 MG TF "The MG"
I installed a Bluetooth 123ignition distributor. You will need to modify it to accept the XPAG drive gear by a machine shop, and you can add MGA carb fittings to get vacuum advance.

I love it! Easily worth the money.

Patience gets you nowhere fast!

Greenwood, SC, USA   USA
What exactly does the machine shop do to fit the new gear? It is surprising that no one on this forum is doing that and offering it for sale.

Fsisson Avatar
Fsisson fred sisson
nashville, IN, USA   USA
1938 Morgan 3 Wheeler
1950 MG TD "007"
It is a simple matter of putting the gear off of the TD dist on the B dist. Shafts are the same size. Gears are fixed onto the shaft with split pins... Don't try to drill them out! They are hard. Use a punch. Simple job fifteen minute job for a good mechanic or if you must... a machinist.

There are subtitles in positioning the gear such as end play, etc. that are part and parcel of doing it right ... nothing hard, nothing requiring any special tools... but you need to pay attention to. You may have to drill a different hole through the shaft to position the gear at the exact position... just drill 90 degrees from the existing hole. Use a new split pin... 1/8" as I recall.

If you are are not comfortable fabricating... have it done. I have distributors from six different British cars that I have swapped gears/dogs on over the years for my Morgan, and four for the TD.

hurst280 Avatar
hurst280 Gold Member Sean D
Plano, TX, USA   USA
1954 MG TF "The MG"
Actually, in my case, the shaft size was smaller than the gear ID. The 123ignition shop included a spacer to increase the shaft OD to fit the gear ID. Additionally, the shaft was also too short to extend through the length of he gear, so, a longer shaft was also included. But the shaft did not have preexisting holes for the taper pins, so these need to be precisely drilled as well. It will take a shop about 30 to 60 minutes to do the work.

Patience gets you nowhere fast!

crankjournal Avatar
crankjournal Len Fanelli
Yonkers, NY, USA   USA
Glad that I bought a CSI unit direct & at a wholesale $ to my Abingdon Performance Ltd.! With 16 advance curves. Roll pin and end play shims were included. Fit perfectly with the correct length!
Len Fanelli
Abvingdon Performance Ltd.

Fsisson Avatar
Fsisson fred sisson
nashville, IN, USA   USA
1938 Morgan 3 Wheeler
1950 MG TD "007"
There were rumors of a 123 with boost RETARD coming but when I looked/shopped for one a couple of years ago no one seemed to know anything about it. Out yet?

Don't know about the 123 dist shaft size... my experience is with Lucas and the unit from Sports Car Parts that I mentioned and the shafts are same size & length of the shaft has never been a problem. My next door neighbor has an old SUN machine which is great for checking advance curves. The 123 I put in the Mini eliminated the need with dip switches.

The 123 is a pretty unit. I installed one in a friend's warmed over Mini and it worked ok.
'

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-15 10:03 PM by Fsisson.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster