AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Draining a TD Fuel Tank
  This topic is about my 1951 MG TD
pop5948 Avatar
pop5948 Silver Member Wayne Telman
Townville, SC, USA   USA
Need to drain the fuel tank on my 51 TD. Is there a drain plug on the tank or should I simply run a hose from the fuel pump to a container while having the pump powered?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
AZTD Avatar
AZTD Silver Member Mike Grogan
Glendale, AZ, USA   USA
1953 MG TD
There should be a plug next to the fuel line plug on the bottom.
When you drain, it will leave about .5 gal in side.
Only way to remove all is remove the tank and turn upside down.

1953 MG TD TD23816

pop5948 Avatar
pop5948 Silver Member Wayne Telman
Townville, SC, USA   USA
Thank you Mike.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
plus4moggie Tom Lange
Bar Harbor, ME, USA   USA
I use the fuel pump method, and am always satisfied with how much I get out, into gallon jugs. I find when I use the drain plug it goes everywhere, all over my arms, and there is always more gas in the tank than I have tubs to fill...

Tom Lange
MGT Repair

chuckmosher Avatar
chuckmosher Gold Member Chuck Mosher
Minneapolis, MN, USA   USA
1953 MG TD
1961 Ford Ranchero
1962 MG MGA MkII "Othello"
1968 MG MGC GT "Tordos"
Wayne,

I’m sure that the tank on my new purchase (1953 MG TD) will need some work. Are you going to do some restoration on yours ? If so, what techniques make sense for these cars ? Are the rinse and seal kits worth trying, or are there better approaches ?

Thanks,
Chuck

cunhab Avatar
cunhab Bruce Cunha
Placerville, CA, USA   USA
1950 MG TD
1967 MG MGB GT
There is (or was) a filter on the fuel line inside the tank. I would use the fuel pump and drain it, then pull both the drain plug and the fuel line and filter.

Purchase one of the cheap flexible camera's on line. They run around $10. Use this to inspect inside the tank. There are 3 baffles in the tank and a hole in the bottom of each baffle. You can go in through the filler, through the sending unit, and through the drain hole. This will get you into each area.

When I did my tank, I found that someone at the factory left a rag or a bag in the right tank section. As the only opening to this is the drain plug, it had to have been put in at the factory.

Attachments:
Picture of rag.jpg    25.4 KB
Picture of rag.jpg

jimmac48 Matthew M
Columbus, GA, USA   USA
1950 MG TD
Chuck congrats on your new 53. If you are going to clean your gas tank I would drain any gas and check for any rust. When I checked mine it had surface rust throughout. After checking this forum I did as suggested by many. Pulled the tank, filled the tank with white vinegar (about 14 gallons if I remember correctly) and let it sit for a week or two occasionally shaking and rotating the tank. Drained the tank again and completely flushed it out using a garden hose with spray nozzle. I got out more than a quart of rust particles. Keep flushing until the tank is free of any rust then dry completely. At this point I used a sealer named red-kote to seal the tank. I am completely satisfied with the results. No more rust and all the fuel filters are staying clean. Since the td is new to you, may want to verify that the low fuel sending unit is functional. If it has to be replaced while the tank is off is the perfect time. Hope this helps.

Declan Burns Avatar
Duesseldorf, NRW, Germany   DEU
And when you have the tank off fit a drain tap-it will make life easier the next time.
Regards
Declan

Attachments:
P1010139_1.jpg    42.9 KB
P1010139_1.jpg

MGTF1500 Ardeche France Avatar
MGTF1500 Ardeche France Thierry SUCHIER
TOURNON SUR RHONE, Rhône-Alpes Auvergne, France   FRA
What kind of faucet did you put Declan?

Sincerely, Thierry de l'Ardèche, South of France

Declan Burns Avatar
It was a drain tap from some obscure tractor that I bought on eBay. I bought a 3/8" BSPP brass plug and drilled it to accept the tap and sweat soldered both together.
You need a tap that does not leak! There are modern taps for suitable for petrol on eBay with BSP threads.

Regards
Declan

dennis-d Avatar
dennis-d Gold Member Dennis Dunn
Califon, New Jersey 07830, USA   USA
1953 MG TD "Little Red Car"
1953 MG TD "Little Red Car"
I don't know if this helps that drain tap looks like the same one that's on the bottom of your raditor.....dennis

Declan Burns Avatar
Dennis,
A radiator drain tap may or may not work for petrol. That is why I mentioned "suitable for petrol" above. I added sealant on the tap shown above for that reason. When I drain the tank I have to break the seal and renew it on re-filling.
Regards
Declan

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1977 MG Midget 1500

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links