AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Fsisson Avatar
Fsisson fred sisson
nashville, IN, USA   USA
1938 Morgan 3 Wheeler
1950 MG TD "007"
I'd like to fit a diafram clutch cover to my TD. I've done it to Morgan/TR engine cars. Advantage is more clutch pressure with less pedal pressure which also is easier on crank thrust bearings. There is a diafram/TD conversion available in GB for an outlandish price and I'm pretty sure they are a modified? cover from some production car. Anyone done this?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Steve S Avatar
Abingdon West, Southern California, USA   USA
I've done this mod on TCs. Keep in mind that the pedal travel is also much shorter, so the pedal effort actually increases significantly unless you modify the pedal linkage.

Fsisson Avatar
Fsisson fred sisson
nashville, IN, USA   USA
1938 Morgan 3 Wheeler
1950 MG TD "007"
Steve... what cover did you use? My TD is early... 7" clutch... TC have same design flywheel?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Steve S Avatar
Abingdon West, Southern California, USA   USA
Yes, same clutch. I'm using an Alpine clutch on my personal car. The pedal effort will increase, and the clutch will be far more touchy due to the short travel. But it works. I have no idea if the throw-out bearing (or arm) will need to change on a TD but on a TC the bearing has to change to an offset type as found on later Midgets.

Fsisson Avatar
Fsisson fred sisson
nashville, IN, USA   USA
1938 Morgan 3 Wheeler
1950 MG TD "007"
O boy, oh boy! Thanks Steve. It's a start. Gonna work on that.

gwnorth Tom Moore
Bolton Ouest, Quebec, Canada   CAN
1955 MG TF 1500
1972 MG MGB
Is that Alpine as in Sunbeam? Any idea of the year or are they all the same?
I've got a small early TD flywheel that needs a clutch too.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster