The all-new Front Page News Feed is now live   Read the announcement
MGExp

T-Series & Prewar Forum

Converting Windshield Wipers to a Hand Crank???

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

C0wb0y Avatar
C0wb0y Richard C
Sedona, AZ, USA   USA
1953 MG TD
Working on another project for my TD... My windshield wiper motor is dead, and rather than replace it, I am considering taking it off of the windshield and putting a hand crank in its place. It is not as crazy as it sounds living out here in Sedona, Arizona, where it seldom rains and when it does, my TD stays dry in the garage. Besides, I have never liked that big black bulge perched on the top of my windshield screaming out to everyone, "I was an after-thought!" so my question is whether anyone else has done this and what particular concerns or solutions might you all have that you can pass my way.

Thanks,
Richard

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
+1 Yes No Thank
  jgood67mgb thanked C0wb0y for this post
Tpss Avatar
Tpss Tim Parrott
Stroud, gloucestershire, UK   GBR
1938 MG TA
Options:

1. The right hand side of the mechanism has a rotating pillar support. Get a matching one of those and fit it instead of the motor. Drill right through, make a new shaft and put a handle on the back of each one.

2. Use a water repellent. Rain X is used a lot in the UK as the wipers are not that effective, so just remove the whole system.

3. Fit Brooklands screens and wear goggles and waterproofs. (How big are the bugs there?)

Yes No Thank
Kaklemmer Avatar
Kaklemmer Kenneth Klemmer
Farmington Hills, MI, USA   USA
1948 MG TC "Gigi"
1957 MG MGA 1500 Coupe "Ginger"
2005 Lotus Elise "Stirling"
2012 Mazda MX-5 NC "Joanie"    & more
I second #2 or #3 above. It’s only good if you’re getting judged at a car show, otherwise pretty useless. Plus if you’re ever in an accident you won’t have a wiper motor shaped divot in your head. Keep it so you can leave it with the car when you sell.

Yes No Thank
Paul J Avatar
Locust Grove, OK, USA   USA
At least they are somewhat better than the old vacuum wipers, which stopped dead when driving up an incline! grinning smiley

Yes No Thank
Steve S Avatar
Abingdon West, Southern California, USA   USA
They weren't an afterthought at all, and are easy to rebuild. However if you don't drive the car in the rain but want the wipers installed (and they are legally required) then one option is to simply remove the motor and lock the arms in place. Otherwise just put a knob where the motor was to work them by hand. TF and Y-Type used a Bakelite knob that should be easy to retrofit. It's worth noting that if you do drive in the rain, you may regret not having the wiper motor in place. Working it by hand is tiring and unsafe without a passenger, who (if you do have one) will probably never ride in your car again. winking smiley

Yes No Thank
TX, USA   USA
1952 MG TD
1958 MG MGA 1500
Many years ago in front of the Stork Club in NYC I had to stop suddenly and my date cut her forehead on the wiper motor. She sued my insurance for big bucks. Since then I either remove the motor, or cover it with something that will soften the injury. Also when I see TD wiper blades hanging vertical they look dumb.

Attachments:
IMG_2621 (1).jpg    38.1 KB
IMG_2621 (1).jpg

Yes No Thank
Mikelead Mike Leadbeater
York, Yorks, UK   GBR
1953 MG TD
I am likely to fit a later wiper motor under the dash, as I really do not like the lethal position of the original.

I have made a mounting bracket, happy to post a photo if anyone interested, and have trial fitted later spindles as done on the TF.

Mike

Yes No Thank
Buckdendave David Hill
St Neots, Cambridgeshire, UK   GBR
1954 MG TF
Sounds like a good move. The TF wiper drive rack connects directly to the MGA wiper motor, which is much better than the original TF CRT motor.
Dave H

Yes No Thank
Steve S Avatar
Abingdon West, Southern California, USA   USA
Or you could find a top frame section with the center mounted wiper motor and install it on your car. I'm not an expert on TD minutia but I assume the two top pieces are interchangeable.

Yes No Thank
jgood67mgb Avatar
jgood67mgb Jim Goodwin
Colorado Springs, CO, USA   USA
1948 MG TC "Cash Eater"
1952 MG TD "Pick Pocket"
1957 MG MGA 1500
1960 MG MGA 1600 "Old Reliable Healey Killer"    & more
If someone were to design a simple lever to replace the motor I would buy one for my TC and my TD. That wiper motor on the windshield is just too dangerous for a passenger . Jim

Yes No Thank
C0wb0y Avatar
C0wb0y Richard C
Sedona, AZ, USA   USA
1953 MG TD
Thank you, everyone, for your thoughts and opinions. The more I think about it and visualize it, the more I like the idea or removing the wiper motor. One of these days soon, I will do just that and make a simple wooden lever to fit whatever shank comes through the windshield frame. Or, rather than making a wooden lever, I will try to find a more suitable ready-made metal lever and make a fitting to adapt it to the shank coming through the windshield frame. When completed, I will pass along on this forum whatever solution I adopt.
Richard

+1 Yes No Thank
  jgood67mgb thanked C0wb0y for this post

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster