Visit our Twitter feed for more great content
MGExp

T-Series & Prewar Forum

Can a T-Series be fitted with a modern fuel gauage?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Abington, PA, USA   USA
1976 MG Midget MkIV "Rodney"
HI all,

Though I now still have a 1976 Midget that I bought way back in 1977, in1968 a couple of guys and I restored a 1955 MGTF 1500 before the Draft caught up with us. I do remember that it didn't have a gas gauge, and I don't think a trip odometer, either. I use my Midget's trip ODO as a check-safe on the somewhat unreliable gas gauge. Every 150 - 175 miles I buy gas. Now retired, I've been causally looking around my area for a T-Series to acquire and play with, (should my wife allow it).

So, I was wondering if anyone here has retrofitted an gas gauge in a T-Series, and how does one do it?

Regards,

Richard

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Paul J Avatar
Locust Grove, OK, USA   USA
That's a subject that has been discussed many, many times! Due to the baffles in the tank, there is no way a normal float type sending unit can be installed. Declan Burns in Germany is working on a sender for a gauge that can be installed where the original sender is installed without modifying the tank, but I don't know if it's finished yet. PJ

Abington, PA, USA   USA
Thank you, Paul,

You mention an original sender position on the tank. If the sender was not for a gauge, was it for a warning light? 1968 was a long time ago so I don't recall it. I do remember the gas dip stick. My '76 Midget only has a 6.5 US gal. capacity, so I've always kept my eye on the trip ODO. when traveling as even 30 mpg max is only 195 miles max, and I used to often travel from Phila. to Wash. DC., about 200 miles. Last month I met a fellow with a beautifully restored TD, and it made me wish for our old TF. So, I've decided to find one that needs a new home and some care to make it right again.

Richard

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
LaVerne Avatar
LaVerne LaVerne Downey
Fruita, CO, USA   USA
1954 MG TF "Green Hornet"
1969 MG MGB
1979 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
Yes the TF (and earlier MG's) has a sender for a low fuel warning light on the dash. t starts flickering on and off when you get in the range of 3 1/2 to 4 gallons and will light steady around 3 gallons. As Paul said, gauges have been discussed in the past but to this point no one has produced a functional gauge...other than tank dipsticks. The TF does have a trip odometer and its what I use as a reference of when it's time to start looking for fuel.

Abington, PA, USA   USA
Thank you LaVerne,

Well, since it has a warning light and a trip odometer then I will not be concerned with it not having a gauge, as long as they work or can be brought into working condition. Haven't found any available TFs in the Philadelphia region as yet, only a couple of very beat up, non-functioning TDs, and one very well restored TC that is way beyond my wallet's capacity. Did find 2 MGA Roadsters, but I recall they were very hard to work on as the engine bay access was through their small hood opening. I believe pulling the engine and trans from an "A" was done from below the car.

Again, Thank you

Richard

Buckdendave David Hill
St Neots, Cambridgeshire, UK   GBR
1954 MG TF
Many of us carry a tank dipstick - a length of dowel that is marked up in gallons.
Dave H

MGTF1500 Ardeche France Avatar
MGTF1500 Ardeche France Thierry SUCHIER
TOURNON SUR RHONE, Rhône-Alpes Auvergne, France   FRA
On my TF, the gauge, did not work anymore. I have dismantled and refitted it. Since then, when I'm in reserve, the light comes on. I know I can still ride 50 km.
Sincerely, Thierry de l'Ardèche

EXLU3453 Avatar
EXLU3453 Colin T
Brantford, ON, Canada   CAN
Fuel gauge? What do you want a fuel gauge for? Just kidding of course. The low level light comes on steady at 3 Imp. Gallons, more than enough fuel to get you to a gas station somewhere. Also you wouldn't have the fun dipping the tank with your home-made dipstick in a parking lot or cruise night, to see if you have enough gas to get home. When you do that take the opportunity to look around and see the look on the folks faces, wondering what your doing..... Great conversation starter. Just part of being a TD owner and driver in my book.

... CR

peter14222 Avatar
peter14222 Peter Gilvarry
Buffalo, NY, USA   USA
If you can drive far enough to run a TF out of gas you have a better bladder than me!

15USG tank.

Peter

Abington, PA, USA   USA
HI Peter,

That is a big laugh. I enjoyed it as it is so true. I had prostate surgery back in Jan. '03 when I was 52 so now, particularly in the Midget, I never pass a rest stop.

Bests,

Richard

C0wb0y Avatar
C0wb0y Richard C
Sedona, AZ, USA   USA
1953 MG TD
Fellas,

When I purchased my TD this last summer, the PO had installed a fuel gauge - and it worked great. unfortunately for me, I did not want it in there, so I took it out. I have ridden motorcycles all of my life and watching the mileage indicator has always proven to be more accurate than any fuel gauge on any car I have ever had. By default, even in my new vehicles, I watch the odometer rather than the fuel gauge. And, because the TD is not supposed to have one (and had a nifty green warning lamp instead), I took it out.

However, for those of you who yearn for that little pointer on a dial, here is what the PO installed:

First, a simple Bosch fuel gauge (under $20).
Second, an ISSPRO "fuel sending unit" (around $55).

Attached is the paperwork for the ISSPRO - this is a four-page PDF, so download it to see all of the instructions. Also attached are pictures of the gauge and of the sending unit mounted on the tank - notice the cancerous square that remains on the top of my tank for the sending unit to hide under. It looks like a simple day project for little more than the price of a good steak dinner. Hope this helps.

Richard

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-06 07:09 PM by C0wb0y.

Attachments:
MG TD Fuel Gauge Sending Unit sm.pdf    2.29 MB

01 DSC_0153.JPG    35 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
02 DSC_0156.JPG    39.7 KB
03 DSC_0157.JPG    39.1 KB
peter14222 Avatar
peter14222 Peter Gilvarry
Buffalo, NY, USA   USA
In reply to # 3887069 by Richard P. Senatore HI Peter,

That is a big laugh. I enjoyed it as it is so true. I had prostate surgery back in Jan. '03 when I was 52 so now, particularly in the Midget, I never pass a rest stop.

Bests,

Richard

I use the rest stops with gas stations, makes it easy.

Peter

Declan Burns Avatar
Duesseldorf, NRW, Germany   DEU
I had to mothball the project as I spent the whole summer in hospital last year but I hope to get back to it soon. It worked on the bench but I need to test fit it on a tank. The CAD system says it fits but we will have to wait and see.
Regards
Declan

Attachments:
Fuel_sensor_TD_2.jpg    26.6 KB
Fuel_sensor_TD_2.jpg

Fuel gauge_7.jpg    27.2 KB
Fuel gauge_11.jpg    54.1 KB
Fuel_sensor_TD_4.jpg    27.1 KB
55MGTF Avatar
55MGTF Tony R
Milford, NJ, USA   USA
When you finally have this fuel sending unit ready for market, please let me know. I would be very interested in purchasing one. I have a 55 TF and I am constantly watching the red light on the dash. When the sun is shining down it is almost impossible to see that red light. Needless to say, I have run out of gas because I could not see the light. A fuel gauge would be a great convenience.

drdata Avatar
drdata Charles Duffy
Healdsburg, CA, USA   USA
The warning light on TD 0581 has never worked; I believe that the sending unit was actually disconnected by the PO. Always use my "stick", marked off in "quarters of a tank". So far so good. However, I , too, would be very interested in Declan's fuel gauge hack.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster