AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Bonnet to top scuttle clearance
  This topic is about my 1953 MG TD
boylanp Avatar
boylanp Paul Boylan
Napier, New Zealand   NZL
1953 MG TD
Hi all, is there a clearance/gap between the rear bonnet edge and the front edge of the top scuttle that somebody can give me as a guide, lm fitting all the panels on the car to ensure everything fits before the car gets painted, l know the radiator can be adjusted to align the front edge of the bonnet.
Thanks Paul B

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
0B08F122-FF7C-44AE-BDDA-7F4CF6CA67F2.jpeg    21.7 KB
0B08F122-FF7C-44AE-BDDA-7F4CF6CA67F2.jpeg

2EF4DA35-3B09-485B-9D81-55A2C50C2D73.jpeg    27.3 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
MGTF1500 Ardeche France Avatar
MGTF1500 Ardeche France Thierry SUCHIER
TOURNON SUR RHONE, Rhône-Alpes Auvergne, France   FRA
Paul, yes, there is an important space for the joint. Get it before you want to adjust.
Here's a photo.

Sincerely, Thierry de l'Ardèche, South of France

Attachments:
Gusset_rear_1.jpg    23.6 KB
Gusset_rear_1.jpg

buscar Avatar
buscar Silver Member Carlo Busato
Canberra, ACT, Australia   AUS
1953 MG TD
Paul, really need to check the gap with the rubber seal in place, just put my bonnet back on and you can spend a lot of time getting the seal in the right place to get a real nice fit.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
boylanp Avatar
boylanp Paul Boylan
1953 MG TD
Ok, thanks for the pictures and info.
Paul B

Steve S Avatar
Abingdon West, Southern California, USA   USA
With all rubber and brackets in place, get the tightest gap you can. It's just a matter of looks, not function. Of course if the bonnet was trimmed on the short side from the factory then it is what it is.

boylanp Avatar
boylanp Paul Boylan
1953 MG TD
Looking at it l think it will turn out ok, the front edge will be fairly easy to adjust.
Thanks Paul B

GB3 George B
Winter Haven, USA   USA
I think you still have a lot of work to do. The gap is pretty wide at the top outer corner, and not straight down the bonnet side. Easy to straighten the bonnet side with a file. Make sure you get one of the correct original shaped cross section rubber from Anglo Parts or somewhere, and they are wider and flatter, and will allow much more leeway than the other ones. Search this topic on the MG-Cars.org board. George

boylanp Avatar
boylanp Paul Boylan
1953 MG TD
Thanks George, that’s exactly the information l was after, lm new to this so help with finding all this info is appreciated.
Paul B

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster