AutoShrine Sponsor

The Bs Knees Avatar
The Bs Knees Patrick McConnell
Sonora, CA, USA   USA
1964 MG Midget MkII "Perserverance"
1966 Volvo Amazon (122) "PaddyWagon"
1970 Volkswagen Beetle "Volksy"
Hi everyone,
I'd like to get your thoughts and test the waters for an idea I have. A few years ago, I did a nut-and-bolt restoration on my 1964 Midget with a 90hp Datsun A12/5speed swap. It's been a fantastic little car and I have an immense amount of pride in it. In the past year or so, selling it has been in the back of my mind but I'd really like to do some more trips before that happens. When the time comes, I've always hoped that I could get enough for it to buy a driver-quality TD. The reason being, I like TDs but it's actually always been my grandma's dream car. She talks about the times as a kid when she and her mom would visit San Francisco (lived in Oakland at the time) and she would see the occasional TD on the street, specifically one time when she saw a British Racing Green example with a biscuit interior and a tartan top.
My grandma, 80 this year, is in excellent physical health. She still goes backpacking with our family in the Sierras, does yoga, walks everyday, cuts firewood with my mom, etc. However, she recently got diagnosed with alzheimer's and certain things are getting more difficult. After 64 years of accident-free driving, the doctor said it would be best if she not travel alone, so she no longer drives. As you can imagine, this has been a difficult transition.
My grandma has always loved my Midget, as do I, but I have always wanted to have the opportunity to drive her and I over the mountain passes and around town in a TD. She spent her whole life looking after other people, especially my family, living simply, and appreciating the best that life has to offer. I think this would mean a lot for her and it would mean a lot for me to be able to do it for her. So, if anyone has always wanted to own a fully restored pocket-rocket Midget and is ready to part with their TD, let me know. In an ideal world, I'd love one with an engine swap for driveability but I'm open. Cosmetic and minor mechanical issues are not a problem but with one year left in college, I have neither the time nor the resources for another full restoration.
I know this probably a stretch but I wanted to hear your thoughts on the matter.

"Quite by accident, I bought a genuinely brilliant little car."
-Jeremy Clarkson ('69 Sprite)

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member

Attachments:
MG-Midget[2].jpg    70.7 KB
MG-Midget[2].jpg

IMG_0691.JPG    49.3 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMG_2084.JPG    73.7 KB
100_4868.jpg    57.9 KB
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
Meadow01 Avatar
Meadow01 Silver Member Sonny Surles
Benson, NC, USA   USA
I love your plan to drive her in an MG TD! I wish you success in finding one that works for you. I have one with a modern engine swap that makes for a perfect daily driver and I love it (not for sale ever, maybe my son will winking smiley ).

Go for it - I love it!

Sonny

Yes No Thank
TX, USA   USA
1952 MG TD
1958 MG MGA 1500
Keep the Midget and rent a TD to ride Grandma. Gotta be a TD not too far away, and it would be for a good cause. If I were close you could borrow mine.

Attachments:
IMG_2614.JPG    56.7 KB
IMG_2614.JPG

Yes No Thank
groucho Avatar
groucho Marquis Claude
Chardonne, Vaud, Switzerland   CHE
Patrick,
I really hope that you can make grandma's dream comme true. Maybe you can find a kind TD owner next to your place who will lend you his car for a ride. Three years ago, I took my 99 years old mom for a short ride with my TD. She lost her hat but was delighted. She died 3 weeks after her 100th birthday. I wish you all the best!!!

Attachments:
IMG_1241.jpg    58 KB
IMG_1241.jpg

+2 Yes No Thank
Tpss Avatar
Tpss Tim Parrott
Stroud, gloucestershire, UK   GBR
1938 MG TA
My neighbour saw my TA arrive for rebuild and said that she had been courted by a man with one and had even been to France in it in the 1950's. She was the only person who had the view that she would ride in it when I got it finished, others asked if I was building a "Jalopy" or suggested it was a project too far. She was proved right and the rest were proved wrong, sadly she was taken ill and died suddenly a couple of months before it was finished. Get it "sorted" as soon as you can,

Yes No Thank
johncole John Cole
Santa Rosa, CA, USA   USA
Hi Patrick;
I'm about 4 hours away from you (Santa Rosa) but my brother lives in Tuolumne and his car restoration shop is in Sonora. We visit often, so I'd be happy to drive 'Hyacinth' there sometime later in the Spring and you would be welcome to borrow her.
It's really cool you are wanting to make this happen.

John

Yes No Thank
TD4834 Avatar
TD4834 Bill Chasser
Sacramento, CA, USA   USA
1950 MG TD
1951 MG TD MkII
Patrick a friend and I were in our respective TDs in Sonora in late January. Hope you survived the recent flooding.

Bill Chasser
TD-4834
TD/c-8151
TD/c-16920
TD-19408
TD-24060

Yes No Thank
The Bs Knees Avatar
Sonora, CA, USA   USA
In reply to a post by johncole Hi Patrick;
I'm about 4 hours away from you (Santa Rosa) but my brother lives in Tuolumne and his car restoration shop is in Sonora. We visit often, so I'd be happy to drive 'Hyacinth' there sometime later in the Spring and you would be welcome to borrow her.
It's really cool you are wanting to make this happen.

John
John, that's a mighty fine offer and I might just take you up on that.

Right now, I'm juggling priorities between life and the car hobby. I know that finding the Midget a new home is in the not-far-off future but I'm not convinced that turning around and replacing it with a TD is the best idea. I like to think of myself as someone who makes relatively good financial decisions and sound life choices but, I am by all means an opportunist so we'll just see what 2019 has to offer.

In reply to a post by TD4834 Patrick a friend and I were in our respective TDs in Sonora in late January. Hope you survived the recent flooding.
I've been in San Francisco during most of the apocalyptic weather but, my parents and grandma have fared alright. I think in a county that is especially hard hit by drought, we're just glad to be getting good snowpack in the Sierras.

Yes No Thank
gerard3 Silver Member Gerard Hengeveld
Creston, BC, Canada   CAN
1953 MG TD
Hi Patric,

A new ride in the near future ? have a look at this website ( I restored my TD to better than new ) I am living in Canada practically on the border with IDAHO. The TD resto is the second part of the website . About 800 pictures . This car is for sale due to health reasons and no reasonable offer is refused.
Thanks to my son in law who did the computer work with the pictures for me.

HTTP : // crestoncars .wordpress.com

Cheers,

Gerard

Yes No Thank
MGTF1500 Ardeche France Avatar
MGTF1500 Ardeche France Thierry SUCHIER
TOURNON SUR RHONE, Rhône-Alpes Auvergne, France   FRA
Thank you Gerard,
A lot of interesting information about these photos.
Sincerely, Thierry de l'Ardèche, South of France

Yes No Thank
The Bs Knees Avatar
Sonora, CA, USA   USA
In reply to # 3907651 by gerard3 A new ride in the near future ? have a look at this website ( I restored my TD to better than new ) I am living in Canada practically on the border with IDAHO. The TD resto is the second part of the website . About 800 pictures . This car is for sale due to health reasons and no reasonable offer is refused.

Gerard, that's a beautiful TD you have and some excellent craftsmanship to create the finished product! As much as I'd love to see that car sitting in my garage, I think it's far beyond my means. If I do end up acquiring a TD, I imagine that it will be slightly mechanically challenged and probably quite cosmetically challenged. But the important thing in this whole scheme is to have my grandma and I sharing that semi-split bench seat while bounding down a country road.

Yes No Thank
The Bs Knees Avatar
Sonora, CA, USA   USA
Well, I appreciate everyone's input and generous offers!
I think I have a general idea of what I'll do. Right now, the garage in my San Francisco apartment is being seismically upgraded, so my Volvo Amazon (primary car, daily driver) is back in Sonora safely tucked away in the shop until the renovation is done, hopefully by the end of April. Once the garage is done, instead of bringing the Volvo back, I'll bring the Midget to San Francisco to enjoy for the remaining month or two in this school semester and really put some Pacific Coast Highway miles on it. At that point, I think I'll be in a comfortable position to find it a new home and if the stars align, I'll run across a decent project TD that Grandma and I can work on and enjoy for a few years.
In the mean time, I'd still love to test drive a TD to see what it's like!

Attachments:
Kitty Brunell MG Magna.jpg    30 KB
Kitty Brunell MG Magna.jpg

Yes No Thank
johncole John Cole
Santa Rosa, CA, USA   USA
Patrick;
See attached for a local event THIS SUNDAY! Perhaps you could join us??

http://mgocsf.org/Portals/0/Octagon%200319%20Final.pdf?ver=2019-02-28-182725-013

John

Yes No Thank
The Bs Knees Avatar
Sonora, CA, USA   USA
In reply to # 3909265 by johncole Patrick;
See attached for a local event THIS SUNDAY! Perhaps you could join us??

http://mgocsf.org/Portals/0/Octagon%200319%20Final.pdf?ver=2019-02-28-182725-013

John
That actually sounds like a great drive! I'll send ya a PM and see if I can't make it up there.

Yes No Thank
TD4834 Avatar
TD4834 Bill Chasser
Sacramento, CA, USA   USA
1950 MG TD
1951 MG TD MkII
I’m in Sacramento. Feel free to contact me via PM if we can be of assistance as well. Hwy 49 is a nice drive this time of year and we’d be happy to meet up with you.

John might I suggest you visit, contact and create a link to our club’s online newsletter at the SVMGCC. I think it would be nice to join other clubs for occasional driving events with nearby regions.

Bill Chasser
TD-4834
TD/c-8151
TD/c-16920
TD-19408
TD-24060

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-16 01:02 PM by TD4834.

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster