AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

randingo Avatar
randingo Randall How
Fort Collins, CO, USA   USA
Greetings,

I need an opinion and I figured this would be a good place to find one. I'm looking for a ball-park value for a "a lot of assembly required" 1952 MG TD project.

My dad purchased in Florida - 1960’s, 1974 fender bender in Miami, FL. 1975 hauled to Colorado. Remained covered or in a garage ever since. Now my dad is in assisted living, my mom needs to sell the house, and it's time to part with the MG.

A couple of people expressed some interest. It's difficult to remove the emotional/sentimental value to estimate a reasonable price tag. I understand it depends on the buyer's level of interest as well. I've looked on Ebay, mgcc.com, this web site, but I just can't get a consensus with my family members.

We believe we have approximately 95% of the parts in conditions ranging from original to new.
New parts: Muffler, radiator, grill, whitish/tannish upholstery, steering wheel, headlights
Refurbished: engine, maybe the transmission as well

I look forward to reading your comments,
Randy

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member

Attachments:
MG_TD_1952_Project-compressed.pdf    773 KB

mg-image1.jpg    60.2 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
mg-image2.jpg    62.8 KB
mg-image3.jpg    50 KB
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
gerard3 Silver Member Gerard Hengeveld
Creston, BC, Canada   CAN
1953 MG TD
I bought something like that 30 years a go , didn't know much about the mg . Quickly learned it gonna be a real money pit And sold with a loss rapidly .. Ask Moss for a catalogue and your eyes will open quickly.
Ok now to your proposal for a valeu . US 2500 to US 3250 . and be prepared to spend another 25 to 28 k depends what you can do yourself.

Cheers,

Gerard

Yes No Thank
LaVerne Avatar
LaVerne LaVerne Downey
Fruita, CO, USA   USA
1954 MG TF "Green Hornet"
1969 MG MGB
1979 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
Based on the pictures and things I do not see....I wouldn't pay more than a couple of thousand if I were looking for a project.

-1 Yes No Thank
darkleaf Avatar
darkleaf Gold Member Leif Jacobsen
Santa Barbara, CA, USA   USA
I agree. If sold as a lot don't expect to get more than about 3k. That being said, there's definitely more than 3k there if you took the time to part it out.

-1 Yes No Thank
tap Avatar
tap Tom P
'56 MGA, '49 TC, '31 MG Midget, '53 TD, Others..., CA, USA   USA
1931 MG Midget "Midge"
1949 MG TC "Chitty"
1953 MG TD "Ginny"
1956 MG MGA 1500 "Maggie Mae"    & more
I bought a '52 about 18 months ago for $4,500 bucks... and I was probably the 20th guy to look at it - no takers.... I brought it home, fixed the distributor, put a battery in it, cleaned the fuel system, etc. and was driving within a couple days. I did a little brake work thereafter to improve safety and added some fun items like fog lights, Brooklands screens, etc. So I figure I am into the car around $6,500 plus a couple weekends' work... and it is a reliable driver that I have put a couple thousand miles on already. Maybe I got a little bit of a good deal on it?? But, since many potential buyers in the local British car club passed on it before me, maybe not.

So, your car is worth way more to you as a family item than it will be to a person trying restore it to usable condition. Have you thought about restoring it yourself and keeping it? The reason I ask is that I think you are going to be very disappointed when you see what the market will offer you for it. I'm thinking $2,000 would be a strong price on it simply based on the expense involved to get it to driving condition. It is also presently in an unfortunate state of disassembly - If it was together you might tempt a buyer that wants a high-patina scruffy driver which can be put on the road fairly quickly (like my TD). If it was completely disassembled you might attract the buyer who wants to do the full-show nut-and-bolt complete restoration. This car is stuck in-between.

I hope you do well with the car and I am rooting for you to keep and restore it!
Tom

-1 Yes No Thank
randingo Avatar
randingo Randall How
Thanks so much for your feedback, it's greatly appreciate it! Fun to hear insight into this niche of cars.

Don't think I haven't considered restoring it myself, but the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. I would harbor this project for the next couple decades and nothing would progress. If someone is interested in tackling this project and would enjoy the process and their results, more power to them. It's just not for me.

Thanks for the thoughts on the selling options and the values; I can agree with your opinions.

Cheers, Randy

-1 Yes No Thank
cunhab Avatar
cunhab Bruce Cunha
Placerville, CA, USA   USA
1950 MG TD
1967 MG MGB GT
Randy

If I was not in the middle of a restoration of my 1950, and was a bit closer, I would take you up on this. I do disagree with others that put high restoration price. If you can do much of the work, you can get a very nice car for a lot less.

If the engine and transmission are already rebuilt, your costs are in Chrome, and interior, and paint. If you can do the bodywork and paint, the costs are even lower.

I agree that the parts are worth more than the whole in it's current condition, but I would hate to see what is an easily restorable car parted out.

From the color of the frame. It looks like the car has been taken apart before.

-1 Yes No Thank
peter14222 Avatar
peter14222 Peter Gilvarry
Buffalo, NY, USA   USA
A friend bought a much more completed car for $2500 recently, so $2-3K if you are lucky.

Peter

-1 Yes No Thank
Paul J Avatar
Locust Grove, OK, USA   USA
Let's be honest, No one knows your finances but you and how much you are able to spend to restore a car, of any make. I did all the work on my TF but paint it, it was just drivable when I tore it apart to restore. I have receipts for over $30,000.00 in it before it hit the street! Depends on whether you want a ragtag restoration or something to be proud of. There's quite a difference in how much you'll pull out of your pocket between the two. From what I see in the photos, the engine looks like there is no head on it and more than likely will have to be torn down and re-done, that will cost big bucks, so many items appear in bad shape and as someone else said, what is missing can be high dollar items. I think if someone offers 2 to 3,000 bucks, grab it. Saying that there's always someone who will pay higher than the norm, depends on how much patience you have. eye rolling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-14 07:59 AM by Paul J.

-1 Yes No Thank
rowinghuge Avatar
rowinghuge Silver Member Hugh Pite
Sidney, BC, Canada   CAN
Looking at the photographs this appears to be a rust free project with good wood. As far as I can see it just needs painting and then assembly. Are the gauges and windscreen included - they are expensive items? If it were nearby I would be offering something like $4500 since this appears to be a pretty straightforward project. But then I am somewhat biased since I have done several of these basket cases as well as having any missing parts on hand.
Cheers, Hugh

-1 Yes No Thank
LaVerne Avatar
LaVerne LaVerne Downey
Fruita, CO, USA   USA
1954 MG TF "Green Hornet"
1969 MG MGB
1979 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
Could be right Hugh, but I don't see the doors, windscreen, rear fenders, cylinder head, gauges, crankshaft....why missing the rods. Too many ??? to go much higher than what I can see.... at least for me. If I was looking for a project I would drive over and take a look.....maybe late summer after some snow melt smoking smiley

Attachments:
IMG_1949.JPG    36.7 KB
IMG_1949.JPG

obs_55252_25174-r.jpg    55.7 KB
-1 Yes No Thank
randingo Avatar
randingo Randall How
In reply to a post by LaVerne Downey I don't see the doors, windscreen, rear fenders, cylinder head, gauges, crankshaft....why missing the rods

I live in Fort Collins, an hour and a half away from, the MG at my Mom's in the Evergreen area. I'll see if I can get pictures of these.

• [edit] The doors are in the car under the white packaging foam sheet
  • I did see the original windshield, I believe it's in good condition.
  • The rear fenders, I'm certain they were in the rafters.
  • I didn't open most of the boxes, I'll see if we can find the gauges, I'm optimistic these are available.
  • The cylinder head and crankshaft, I'll take a look in the catalog to make sure what I'm looking for.
  • The "rods" were left at a machine shop that rebuilt the engine, and then closed. I can get more details

Thanks for your interest and thoughts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-14 02:44 PM by randingo.

-1 Yes No Thank
Loyer Avatar
Loyer Dennis Loyer
Chatham, ON, Canada   CAN
In my opinion you would be better off to part the car out. Ebay or this site would be a good place to do it.

-1 Yes No Thank
plus4moggie Tom Lange
Bar Harbor, ME, USA   USA
A couple of additional thoughts. NO engine sits happily for 35 or 40 years; the assembly lube gets all gunky, and the entire engine needs to be disamantled and re-rebuilt. I can guarantee you that if you start the engine as it is, there will be major damage done.

Others have mentioned that the biggest negative is that the car is disassembled. There is little worse than taking on someone else's stalled project - things get lost, things get disorganized, and confusion reigns.

I'm in the $3,500-4,000 fanclub (but need another project like a hole in the head...). I'm confident that, at that price, a buyer could restore the car.

Tom Lange
MGT Repair.

-1 Yes No Thank
Bellem1 murphree flippen
killen alabama, AL, USA   USA
1957 MG MGA
when you establish price iam interested i just purchased one like your disassembled car for 1250.00 qnd went 1600 miles to pick it up murphree flippen killen alabama 35645

Yes No Thank
  boylanp thanked Bellem1 for this post

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster