Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Bellem1 murphree flippen
killen alabama, AL, USA   USA
1957 MG MGA
am intersted i have three of these basket cares under restoration i purchased them for 1200.00 to 1500.00 and had totravel appr. 1000 to 1500 miles to get them so would add travel 750.00 pleas advuise when you establish price murphree flippen killen alabama 35645

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
markl Mark L
Buffalo Creek, CO, USA   USA
1952 MG TD
I might be interested - 1.5 hours from you. Send me a PM when you''re ready to sell. I'm thinking 2-3K.

Yes No Thank
Bellem1 murphree flippen
killen alabama, AL, USA   USA
1957 MG MGA
is that 15 hours or 1.5 hours?

Yes No Thank
kennelson Avatar
kennelson Kenneth Nelson
Grand Rapids, MI, USA   USA
How about looking at this from a different angle? If it has strong personal value for you why not look for someone in your extended family who IS interested in a project like this (and perhaps young and a bit overly optimistic) and offer it to them for FREE with some strong assurances they will indeed work on it. As a kid I would have LOVED a project like that, especially if it was Grandpa's old car. Keep the love of MG going with our young folks.

Yes No Thank
randingo Avatar
randingo Randall How
Fort Collins, CO, USA   USA
Attached are a couple more pictures of the windshield, gauges, and cam shaft, etc. (Mom did a nice job cleaning 'em up!)

Attachments:
IMG_2896.JPG    37.4 KB
IMG_2896.JPG

IMG_2894.JPG    51.3 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMG_2895.JPG    35.5 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Yes No Thank
plus4moggie Tom Lange
Bar Harbor, ME, USA   USA
Opinions will obviously vary all over the place. Mine is that any TD with a basically solid body, together or apart, largely complete (you can never be sure), and with some care having gone into it, is worth $2,500. Seeing the head off it is less likely that your engine has been rebuilt, but I would still be in the $3-4,000 range for this car, somewhat under what it would bring if parted out. It appears well-taken apart, and well-stored.

The instrument panel with gauges alone is worth $1,000, as is the engine, as are the frenders.

Don't be quick to take the first $1250 someone offers you.

Tom Lange
MGT Repair

Yes No Thank
kennelson Avatar
kennelson Kenneth Nelson
Very very true about the value of the car overall. But even with the instruments, if not working properly could cost up to another $1000 to get them all repaired (I just paid $600 for my chronometric tach and speedo and clock to be refurbished-they did beautiful work) and all those little extra bits can add up if not present. I agree it's at least worth $2000, but for more I'd like to know how the rest is. If the buyer pays for the work to be done I'm sure it would get very expensive very quick, especially if a concours car is the desired end product. I bought a complete restoration TD with a rebuilt engine and "good gearbox" for $2500 and restored it myself. It still needed some work on the engine head, and I had to rebuild the tranny. It is now a very nice drivers car with good paint and interior and drivetrain, so I was very lucky. But I wouldn't do that again without knowing the source and seeing the car.

Yes No Thank
veloman518 Avatar
veloman518 Joe Marino
York, PA, USA   USA
1952 MG TD
I just looked at a car in PA in a similar situation. His father in law passed away and they had a car that needed lots of work. You really have to decide if you want to own and drive a TD or you are just trying to clear it out and get some money for it.

No buyer is going to have the emotional value attached to it that you do so they are going to offer fair market value which I concur is in that $2500-3000 range.

If you want to keep it, don't do it with the thought of flipping it. You will never get your money back out of it. Keep it if you value the family attachment and the desire for a project that will return you miles of smiles down the road. We have several MG's in my family and my TD belonged to my father, who is still with me but just didn't like driving the car at his age anymore. We wanted to keep it in the family so I bought it from him and am having a blast with it. Luckily he did a bang up restoration many years ago, so most of what I'm doing is restoring the restoration here and there, and it's still costing me plenty.

Yes No Thank
kennelson Avatar
kennelson Kenneth Nelson
Well spoken.

Yes No Thank
TX, USA   USA
1952 MG TD
1958 MG MGA 1500
Parting out for someone who knows nothing about TDs is not an alternative. I would guess what's left is without economic value. Nothing really to advertise on eBay or elsewhere. Full operational, road worthy TDs now go for $6K to $30K and few sell over $20K. Suggest a "fire" sale, but that could damage the garage.

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster