Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Mitchman2 Avatar
Mitchman2 Mitchell Andrus
Mills River, NC, USA   USA
My only engine turning will be on the dash. A $300 sheet will be enough spent. I found the fellow known for Auburn and Duesenberg restoration parts - I'll be drilling for the gauges next week. The firewall drew a heavy sigh... it's just sporting a matted bare finish, left to patina as it sees fit.

The Flat Earth Society has members from all corners of the globe.

'30 Model A Ford Town Sedan
'48 MGTC Q Special
'58 MGA roadster
'66 Series 1, 4.2 Jag E-Type OTS

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-05 09:38 AM by Mitchman2.

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
craig.cootsona Avatar
craig.cootsona Craig Cootsona
Tacoma, WA, USA   USA
Hi Mitch, my firewall had some unsightly layout lines and with the milling machine table available I jumped at the opportunity. In addition, I always like the looks of the firewall of QA 0257 (see Motorclassica auction photo), though most original Qs seem to have non-turned firewalls. It's going to be a fair amount of work but I enjoy the process just as much as I'll enjoy the finished product! The nagging question is what kind of car to work on when this one is completed?

Glad we are both working on these simultaneously because there are many thousand questions that will come up!

Craig
TA2962

Craig Cootsona
1938 MG TA #2962 ("bitsa" special)
1959 Austin Healey Bugeye Sprite
1957 MGA Coupe #36001
1977 MGB

Attachments:
335199_0.jpg    49.1 KB
335199_0.jpg

Yes No Thank
Steve S Avatar
Abingdon West, Southern California, USA   USA
One problem with the engine-turned dash panel is that it will blind you in the sun. I've had this one for years but it just hangs on my tool shed wall for that reason. Same as the fully chrome center panel in the drawer nearby. They look neat in the garage but totally impractical for a car that's actually driven. The original Works cars usually had a black dashboard.

Attachments:
IMG_20190205_091708_1.jpg    31.7 KB
IMG_20190205_091708_1.jpg

Yes No Thank
craig.cootsona Avatar
Tacoma, WA, USA   USA
Steve,
That was my concern too. I drove a car with an engine turned dash and it was quite dazzling! For my TA special I elected to use a black powder coated dash because my gauges are black (Patrick Henry replica Q gauges) with white numbers. I wanted the numbers to stand out against the background and it will look like most of the factory racing dashes I've seen.

Craig Cootsona
1957 MGA Coupe #36001
1977 MGB

Attachments:
My gauges .jpg    25.4 KB
My gauges .jpg

Yes No Thank
darkleaf Avatar
darkleaf Gold Member Leif Jacobsen
Santa Barbara, CA, USA   USA
Very nice work gentlemen. I'll be keeping my eye on this thread. smileys with beerMG

Yes No Thank
craig.cootsona Avatar
Tacoma, WA, USA   USA
I made more progress on the TA special. After double checking the body fit, I drilled the holes in the chassis for for the mounts and then checked the tail cone for fit. It also allowed me to see where it lands so I can decide where to fit the battery/boot tray. I also mounted the supercharger to check for fit. So far all looks good. After making the battery tray, I’ll test fit the fuel tank and brackets, and begin making up the fuel lines.

Craig Cootsona
1957 MGA Coupe #36001
1977 MGB

Attachments:
810C2027-B2EF-4D1A-8376-2CAC2C7BED88.jpeg    50.8 KB
810C2027-B2EF-4D1A-8376-2CAC2C7BED88.jpeg

B8E395D7-DA62-4061-8521-9343A108EA95.jpeg    53.9 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Yes No Thank
Mitchman2 Avatar
In reply to # 3889725 by craig.cootsona I made more progress on the TA special. After double checking the body fit, I drilled the holes in the chassis for for the mounts and then checked the tail cone for fit. It also allowed me to see where it lands so I can decide where to fit the battery/boot tray. I also mounted the supercharger to check for fit. So far all looks good. After making the battery tray, I’ll test fit the fuel tank and brackets, and begin making up the fuel lines.

Craig, I found that the carb adapter plate supplied to me pushes the carb too far outboard to be centered on the shoud's cutout, also as supplied to me. One of those dumb things that need addressing. I'll be making a slimmer adapter, by 1/2".

'48 MGTC Q Special
'58 MGA roadster

Yes No Thank
Mitchman2 Avatar
In reply to # 3886395 by Steve S One problem with the engine-turned dash panel is that it will blind you in the sun. I've had this one for years but it just hangs on my tool shed wall for that reason. Same as the fully chrome center panel in the drawer nearby. They look neat in the garage but totally impractical for a car that's actually driven. The original Works cars usually had a black dashboard.

I thought about this. If I put 300 miles a year on it, it'll be bearable as I'll always be driving with my face to the sun. cool smiley

'48 MGTC Q Special
'58 MGA roadster

Yes No Thank
Mitchman2 Avatar
In reply to # 3886404 by craig.cootsona Steve,
That was my concern too. I drove a car with an engine turned dash and it was quite dazzling! For my TA special I elected to use a black powder coated dash because my gauges are black (Patrick Henry replica Q gauges) with white numbers. I wanted the numbers to stand out against the background and it will look like most of the factory racing dashes I've seen.

I have that set. Can't use them... WAY too big with 6" speedo and tachs. Four in a straight line (18 inches) the cockpit's too narrow and they don't stack, they're too tall. I looked at staggering them but I got tired of looking at the bulkiness of them.

'48 MGTC Q Special
'58 MGA roadster

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-11 12:08 PM by Mitchman2.

Attachments:
Q guage mockup.jpg    51.1 KB
Q guage mockup.jpg

Yes No Thank
Mitchman2 Avatar
Most of the dash will be covered with dials, switches and dead sparrows.

'48 MGTC Q Special
'58 MGA roadster

Attachments:
Drilling holes.jpg    53.4 KB
Drilling holes.jpg

Final fitting.jpg    45.2 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Yes No Thank
Steve S Avatar
300 miles per year? That isn't even enough to keep the seals wet! After so much work I hope you drive and enjoy it a lot more than that!

The gauges are a period appropriate type. I'm surprised they won't fit. The tach should definitely be huge, and directly in front of the driver.

Yes No Thank
Mitchman2 Avatar
In reply to # 3889757 by Steve S 300 miles per year?

I've got an MGA and a '66 E-Type OTS too. This will be so incredibly uncomfortable to blast down the highway (Brooklands screens), and with no top any chance of rain keeps it indoors. This is not the go-to car for much more than the special shows, mercifully short tours and club meetings.

Two hour drive? .... The cat comes out.

'48 MGTC Q Special
'58 MGA roadster

Yes No Thank
Steve S Avatar
It's definitely windy, but not as bad as you might think. With the windscreens set up optimally, most of the wind is directed over and around your head. Plus there is less wind buffeting than with the stock screen. I'm not into long distance touring with Brooklands screens, partly because my wife prefers the stock windscreen, but several people in our club do it. For blasts through the local canyons, there's nothing better to give the feeling of speed! smiling smiley A couple guys I know have driven 1500 miles with the windscreen down and no Brooklands screens, but to me that's just a bit too much. drinking smiley

You can also have a full windscreen that is removable, so you can at least drive and enjoy the car as much as you like. One guy I know has this setup using the original windscreen, removable in about one minute. He's also rigged up a way to raise the soft top with only Brooklands screens in case of something more than a light rain. The factory even used a screen that lowered out of the way for particularly rough sections of dirt road, although no examples that I know of survived outside of photos.

Just food for thought.

Yes No Thank
rustytriumphsrule Avatar
rustytriumphsrule Just The Brit
Get a map, MN, USA   USA
1957 Triumph TR3 "Tabatha"
1957 Triumph TR3A
1960 Sunbeam Alpine "ALFIE The ALPINE"
1960 Triumph TR3A "Terence"    & more
found this on the web, most cars look to have the gauges staggered across the dash, busy, but still very cool,

Attachments:
9675381-1934-mg-q-type-std.jpg    37.7 KB
9675381-1934-mg-q-type-std.jpg

Yes No Thank
craig.cootsona Avatar
Tacoma, WA, USA   USA
Wow, looking great Mitch!

The dash photo in the previous message is the Australian car QA0257, which is one of the most photographed Qs. Thankfully there are enough photos of the two seater Qs to discern and cross reference most of the details that I want to include in my build. The 4 aircraft style gauges on most Qs had black bezels and the 5” tach had black octagon trim behind the bezel. The ammeter and supercharger oil pressure gauges also had black octagonal trim pieces. Nothing wrong with 0257 though, it’s up to the owner to decide what they like. I enjoy researching the details and recreating those that are applicable on my car.

One good source of info and discussion is MG MMM Forum showing the dash for example. A search under Q type will bring up many discussions.

Another good source of photos is MGMMM.com where you can find photos of cars being restored. Look under pictures/ q type/ miscellaneous for many of these details.

The challenge with our “bitsa” builds is that nothing will be completely correct for a single model of car, so it’s up to the builder to decide how they want it to look. That’s the great thing about these projects because everybody has a different vision and it results in some fantastic work. Given the ‘38 chassis, axles, suspension, ‘52 TD XPAG motor, ‘34 ish ENV preselector box, ‘90s Volumex blower, and ‘34 shaped body, as such, I’ve decided to aim for details appropriate for each subassembly, with some variations for safety, practicality, and usability. The originality police might hate it but it’s a collection of orphaned MG chassis and bits that would otherwise not be on the road.

Craig Cootsona
1957 MGA Coupe #36001
1977 MGB

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-19 01:06 AM by craig.cootsona.

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster