AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Seldom Seen Avatar
Lyons, CO, USA   USA
1966 MG MGB "Nigel"
1972 Alfa Romeo GTV "Marcello"
2007 Mini Cooper S "Lizzie"
2018 Fiat 124 Sport Spider
The latest issue of Classic Motorsports magazine just said that "The best of the best" 240Zs are now fetching $50,000. Did you ever think that would happen?

"A book's a great place to hide out in" - Trevanian

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
wrightgcbuilder Avatar
wrightgcbuilder Dan Wright
North Platte, NE, USA   USA
Just put mine up on EBay. Not the Best of the Best, but a great start to an easy restoration of an at present driver.

Attachments:
240Z 006.JPG    75.1 KB
240Z 006.JPG

Seldom Seen Avatar
Lyons, CO, USA   USA
1966 MG MGB "Nigel"
1972 Alfa Romeo GTV "Marcello"
2007 Mini Cooper S "Lizzie"
2018 Fiat 124 Sport Spider
It's beautiful. Back when 240Zs first started showing up in showrooms here in the USA in 1970 I had the $3700 that Road&Track magazine said it retailed for. When confronted with a Datsun sales person I discovered that $3700 was a mere starting point given all of the add-ons etc. I really wanted one but had to settle for less. I'm still POed about it.

"A book's a great place to hide out in" - Trevanian

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
rocktown61201 Avatar
rocktown61201 Brad Heitz
Rock Island, IL, USA   USA
If anyone that follows this thread is interested, member Robert Kirk (kirks-auto) had a early 70's example for sale. Feel free to reach out to him for me for details.

wrightgcbuilder Avatar
Yes, the 240Z is nice looking, but I prefer the MGB, both Tourer or GT.

The note of the MG is unique to that found in most British sports cars, while the 240Z in the stock form is rather blase. I like the ease of entering and exiting the B also in the dawn of life. Parts are ridiculous, and much more scarce for the Z. Also much more difficult to work on than the MG.

However, the Z does go like a bat out of hell compared to the B.

tvrgeek Avatar
tvrgeek Silver Member Scott S
Hillsborough, North Carolinia, USA   USA
1965 MG MGB
Because finding one not rusted away is almost impossible. Most were driven into the ground as they were very good cars. I have been thinking about a ZX if my Avanti plans fall through. Remember though, 50K is probably half what it takes to put one in that condition. No different from any other car.

Cogito ergo sum periculoso

dohc281 Avatar
dohc281 Silver Member Ira Eckstein
Laurel Springs, NJ, USA   USA
It all depends on what you are looking to buy. I wasn’t looking for the best of the best B when I bought my B. I wanted a decent car that was a driver. I’m sure there are decent Z’s for a lot less than $50,000 out there. That being said it doesn’t surprise me that there are ones being sold for that kind of money.

If you hit your pony over the nose at the outset of your acquaintance, he may not love you, but he will take a deep interest in your movements ever afterwards.

Rudyard Kipling

GeorgeOhr Nonya Business
Yes, confused, USA   USA
I used to be into those somewhat and that’s crazt what they are bringing now.

miatadon Avatar
miatadon Silver Member Don Scott
Calistoga, CA, USA   USA
J-tin is becoming very popular, due to demographics combined with so few decent examples that survive. I have a '91 Civic Si, '89 Prelude, a '92 Integra GS-R, '91 Mazda B2600 pickup and a '01 Miata. Even 15 years ago, it was almost impossible to find clean low-mileage unmodified examples. People do come up to me and comment on the cars, but not like they do when driving an MG.

About 20 years ago I lucked upon a time-capsule 240Z. Under the bonnet it looked like a new car, and had the rare wheel covers even. It was in storage, and had not been driven in a long time. I had my friend Dan trailer it to his shop, and all he did was put a battery in it, and I never had to do any work to the car! It was an automatic, not fun to drive. I flipped it for a few hundred dollars over what I paid. But twenty years ago, no one really gave that car much acknowledgement; it was just an old odd car.

10kpharo Avatar
10kpharo Gold Member Julian L
Windsor Lodge, West Coast of New York, USA   USA
1955 Austin A30 Van
2007 Ford F-150 Pickup "Clifford The Big Red Truck"
Maybe one day my 1955 Austin Countryman will bring me $50,000! Gotta have a dream.

"We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane" - Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

Interested in Austin cars? Check out my Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/orphanaustincars/

1960healey Avatar
1960healey Larry Sanata
Delaware, OH, USA   USA
I always worry about magazines and their "best of the best" or "worst of the worst" ratings. I especially worry when the same magazines offer what they think are "good, better and best" prices for those "best of the best" and "worst of the worst." Haven't overrated televised auctions done enough harm to the car hobby without others getting into the act?

Larry Sanata
Publisher
North American Classic MG magazine

740-917-5759
classicmgmagazine@gmail.com
www.facebook.com/ClassicMGMagazine

Simon Austin Avatar
240Z’s are on Bring a Trailer on a regular basis.

Here’s 3 currently on auction:

https://bringatrailer.com/datsun/240z/

"Speed costs........how fast you want to spend?"

miatadon Avatar
miatadon Silver Member Don Scott
Calistoga, CA, USA   USA
In reply to # 3885933 by 1960healey I always worry about magazines and their "best of the best" or "worst of the worst" ratings. I especially worry when the same magazines offer what they think are "good, better and best" prices for those "best of the best" and "worst of the worst." Haven't overrated televised auctions done enough harm to the car hobby without others getting into the act?

I think the recognition of older Japanese cars as quasi-classics is overdue. Even fine examples of first series Miatas is getting market recognition now. The supply of survivors is scant because Japanese cars got used up because they would go for many miles reliably, so people drove them into the ground. Or they rusted. Or they were modified in tasteless ways.

tvrgeek Avatar
tvrgeek Silver Member Scott S
Hillsborough, North Carolinia, USA   USA
1965 MG MGB
Z's have been trashed by every "traditional" sports community since introduction. Hurts to be outdone by an all around better car. Any objective comparison between a Z and any British or Italian popular sports car will show how much better the Z was. Now, did it have some of the unique British character? No. Italian "passion" of a dovetail or Spyder? No. Precision ( and terrible handling) of a 911? Again no. But reliability and suitability as a daily driver? Way better car.

So, should it be a surprise that a generation without the original bias now recognize how good the Z and RX7 was be a surprise? Their electricals works. They did not leak. Their engines were more powerful and more reliable. Their chassis was far more advanced. Never mind they trounced everything in SCCA. Of course early Miata's are gaining popularity as the new ones are pigs. ( as was the 280ZX) There are few left as they got used, not parked.

THe Z did evolce from a sports car to a GT over the years as it got bigger and heavier. THe competition just got old and died. Credit Mazda, Honda, Nissian, and even the coupes fro Mitsubishi and Hyundai for keeping us in sports cars. One on one, my CRX was a far more sporting, juvenile and fun little sports car. My 88 Prelude si was probably one of the best true GTs ever built. On the other hand, I can buy just about every part I need to keep my MG running and parts for old Hondas are non existent. No one saved the panel dies for Z's.

Cogito ergo sum periculoso

wrightgcbuilder Avatar
Too late to buy this one. Just sold on EBay. 1499 views, and 67 placing on their watch lists.

I can now, concentrate once again on LBC's.

Attachments:
240Z 004.JPG    77 KB
240Z 004.JPG

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster