Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

copernicus Avatar
copernicus Nick Kopernik
Snowless Winter, CT, USA   USA
I'm looking a 72' Lotus +2 which a neighbor is thinking of selling. It was parked about 20 years ago and has been sitting ever since. Other that the usual rot spots and fiberglass issues, is there anything else specific about Lotus Elans which I should pay attention to?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Speedracer Avatar
Speedracer Platinum Member Hap Waldrop
Greenville, SC, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB Racecar "The Biscuit"
I'm no expert by any means, but heard and read about folks restoring this, often enough they are like old Vettes, you need to re gelcoat the entire body. Parts, both engine and chassis are way more expensive and harder to find, but they are out there. As you know they are very small cars, even smaller than a Spridget, so not a good car for a bigger guy. Looks like a good Elan roadster/coupe in good, in good to restored condition can be a 50K+ piece. They are pocket rocket, most have the ford-Lotus DOHC 1600 4 cylinder, in racing trim they can get over 200HP out of those engine, street or race fiquire X3 what you can build a MGB engine for. I race with a good many English Fords and Lotus guys. A street 2+2 probably only weight 1500 pounds so killer power to weight ratio, I think the roadster weigh only 1300 pounds.

Here's anear perfect low miles coupe that they want $62K for. https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/lotus/elan/2074926.html

One thing for sure, these cars will only become more expensive.

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000
hapwaldrop@acmespeedshop.com

Member Services:
MG/ Triumph Performance Street/Race Engines - Cylinder Head Porting - Modified SU HS Carbs - DIY Engine Rebuild Kits With Free Tech Advice - VTO alloy wheels for British Sport Cars, and others
copernicus Avatar
copernicus Nick Kopernik
Snowless Winter, CT, USA   USA
Hap, thanks. I kept you comments in mind when I went over in the early evening to look at the car and condition of it was less than what my neighbor stated. The car was stored in an out building and mice got to it; nothing left of the interior and it was so nasty that I couldn't even try sitting in the car. Stick wouldn't budge, so could not get it out of gear to move it outside for a better look. Car was all there (except for the mice eaten portions) and the body did have a number of spider cracks throughout and there were a couple of longitudinal cracks on the right side; looked like a side swipe or someone backed into the car. Overall this car may need more than what I'm interested in spending right now; love the look of the +2, but was disappointed in the condition of this particular vehicle. Looks like it will be a pass.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster