AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

redbob59 Avatar
redbob59 Bob Brownlow
Chicago, USA   USA
1966 MG MGB MkI "Bug"
1969 MG MGB GT "Traveller"
1977 MG MGB V8 Conversion "Hunter"
Looking at used ones.Anyone have any thoughts?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
tvrgeek Avatar
tvrgeek Silver Member Scott S
Hillsborough, North Carolinia, USA   USA
1965 MG MGB
Took a look at them, but bought a GTI instead. Better than the press said. I think they were expecting a super car or something not a sporting little coupe. Inside seemed a bit cheap, but well, they are pretty cheap. Slight differences between the Toyota and Subaru. I would expect them to be very reliable.
I only pushed it as far as not to upset the salesman, so how they handle above about 80% I can't say. I have thought about looking at them again.

Cogito ergo sum periculoso

Simon Austin Avatar
A friend had one. He liked it but sold it to buy a Tesla Model X.

I worked on it with him for routine maintenance and swap summer/winter tires. The wheel studs are weak. We ended up swapping most of them for ARP studs due to the threads stripping. I remember one stripping with just a hand wrench, no power tools.

I wasn’t impressed but much better with the ARP’s. Other than that, he had no issues with it.

"Speed costs........how fast you want to spend?"

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
tvrgeek Avatar
1965 MG MGB
There is a reason for torque specs. If you think they are weak, ever own a Spit? devil smiley

Simon Austin Avatar
Torque specs apply when installing the lug nuts....not removing them. That’s when two of the studs stripped. Never seen anything like it.

"Speed costs........how fast you want to spend?"

tvrgeek Avatar
1965 MG MGB
After having a rusted stud on my Mustang in high school, I learned to put anti-seize on my lugs. Never had any further problem in the last 45 years.

Fairfield, CA, USA   USA
Take a look at CarMax if you have one nearby. Ours has several, sometimes the Subie version as well (for which I understand a turbo kit is available).

1973 Pale Primrose Roadster. A nice 10-footer!
SUs, Datsun 5-speed

Bill Morris Avatar
Nor Cal, USA   USA
1971 MG MGB
I believe that there is a recall on them for valve springs (nasty if they break). Be sure it has been done or is still under warranty as its an all day job at the dealer (gotta pull the motor).

Other than that, I know nothing!

Bill

Home of the wayward cars...feel free to drop one off anytime.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster