Visit our Twitter feed for more great content
MGExp

Other Vehicles

Off-topic: how much would you have paid for a used station wagon back in 1975?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

mgdriver67 Avatar
mgdriver67 Silver Member Stephen Farrell
Pensacola, FL, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB MkI "Lulu"
2017 Honda Ridgeline 4WD "Mom's Truck"
2019 Subaru Crosstrek XV "Suki"
About 1975 I bought a 70ish Opel SW with 4speed and AC at a used car dealer in Mobile. I already had a 73 Fiat 124 Spyder. My wife drove it to Altus Ok for my new job. It was like a cheaper BMW wagon. Not near the body quality but some of the same German feel.
It was about $700 I think. We drove it for a few months and traded for a Volvo 145 with twin SU carbs with automatic and AC which she drove to Leesville La for a job transfer. It was less than $2000 don’t remember but in 76 we traded for a new Olds Omega which was a real pos. It came with such a thin coat of silver paint you could see the red primer under it on parts of the right front fender. Many years later I found the Volvo in an old barn stored with a 72 Chevy Big Block 402 C10 truck. The Volvo body and interior were still in great condition but guy couldn’t get anyone to tune those carbs. I passed on buying it back but bought the pick up. I rebuilt it’s big block and it was a great truck. It was my first of three 72 Chevy pick ups.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
29desoto Avatar
29desoto Gold Member Wayne Sanders
Outside Otis, OR - in the woods!, USA   USA
1965 MG MGB V6 Conversion "Carmine"
1968 MG MGB GT "New Yeller"
1973 MG MGB GT "Eliza - FIRST PLACE - MG2013"
1984 Chevrolet Corvette "The Green Weenie"    & more
In 1975, fresh back from the Southeast, I wouldn't have driven a station wagon on a bet.

You kidding me? Totally uncool. 62 Sprite and 66 Impala SS were my rides.

Wayne Sanders
Rose Lodge, OR
(TD 4288)

"I don't care to belong to any club that accepts people like me"-joined Willamette Valley Club in 2011

73 MGB-GT virtually stole this one. Someone up there likes me.

68 MGB-GT the daily mule. Solid as a rock, but rattles like a can full of them!

79/65 MGB - Carmine- V-6 - T-5
This car is now very nearly completely done. Sure to find something else, but not now.........

Gerald O Avatar
Gerald O Gerald O'Docharty
Wake Forest, North Carolina, USA   USA
1978 MG MGB
In reply to # 3831550 by 29desoto In 1975, fresh back from the Southeast, I wouldn't have driven a station wagon on a bet.

You kidding me? Totally uncool. 62 Sprite and 66 Impala SS were my rides.

Driving a station wagon in the '70s would have been like being seen driving a minivan today.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
dclsmgc David Lukens
Newberg, OR, USA   USA
1968 MG MGC
Picked up a 68 Mercury wagon for 75 bucks with a 429 in it in 1979, Have bought a lot of different cars over the years for not very much put some $$$ into them and drive em till they drop. Couple of the more recent ones are a 97 Jag XJ6L for 200 and a 92 Saab 900 for 250 all run just not very well when I get them. Usually takes about twice what I pay to fix em up into decent cars.
Dave

spikemichael Avatar
spikemichael Platinum Member Michael Caputo
Ocean Shores, WA, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB "Freebie"
1973 MG MGB
1974 MG MGB "Spike"
1979 MG MGB "MegaBeanie"    & more
Dad had a '68 1/2 Nomad Wagon, sat 8 with rear facing third seat. Shoulder belts were new that year, mandatory in '69. Has a 307. By '75 my brother had it and Dad was driving the 72 Catalina 400. Brother sold the Nomad for $500 after swapping in a 350 small block and moving the shift from 3 on the tree to Muncie 4 on the floor. Was a respectable wagon then, could pull the front wheels without chirping.
He destroyed a set of Cragars at the drag strip in Epping NH. I remember he came home that weekend on 2 junkyard tires with a single Cragar spoke in his hand.

In '79 I bought a '66 BelAire construction wagon (283? with a 2-speed auto) for $100, In 1981 a '71 Matador Wagon with a 305 (the one car I would buy again without hesitation) for $500, had the plastic on the back seat still. Did that again with a '69 Vista Cruiser in 1993 for $500, Came around the corner to look at it and thought "Holy smokes that's coming home with me before they realize they forgot a 0 in the price!" 45,000 orig miles and everything worked nothing was broken or cracked even the switch handles, always garaged, sweeeeeet car. 455 cid... still it got 15 on the highway and MOVED. a little boggy in the corners but gobs of power. Drove it from San Diego to Massachusetts with 5 kids. Had a blast. Parked in front of my brother's house on July 7 1994 and went in for lunch, a tree fell on it, crushed it.

Michael J. Caputo
'79 RBB and '73 CBB owner with extensive experience in 12v Audio System design and installation.
Vendor of Regalia and Promotional Products. Forum Member with a warped sense of humor.

Member Services:
Call me at 978-249-5760 PST for help with your Weber DGV Carburetor, questions about the calendar, or just to talk MGBs! Send high resolution photo submissions for next year's calendar to 2020photos@mgbcalendar.com
Skye Avatar
Skye Webmaster Skye Nott
Vancouver, BC, Canada   CAN
1964 Vespa VNB 125
1966 MG MGB "The Bomber RIP"
1983 Suzuki MC GS750E "Kate"
1986 Merkur XR4Ti "The Rally Car"    & more
Moved from MGB Tech to Other Vehicles forum, thank you

Webmaster, The MG Experience
AutoShrine.com - Corvus Digital

Member Services:
Building the best online communities for auto enthusiasts.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster