AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Seldom Seen Avatar
Lyons, CO, USA   USA
1966 MG MGB "Nigel"
1972 Alfa Romeo GTV "Marcello"
2007 Mini Cooper S "Lizzie"
2018 Fiat 124 Sport Spider
Here is my win the lottery dream car. It's a 1930 Cadillac V-16 Roadster from the Clive Cussler collection in nearby Arvada, Colorado. It has a 452 cubic inch engine, dual exhausts, 185hp and will go 100mph. Original price was $7000 USD. If you are ever in the Denver area during the warm months, visiting this collection is an absolute must.

"A book's a great place to hide out in" - Trevanian

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
1930 Cadillac.JPG    62.9 KB
1930 Cadillac.JPG

Poundingsand Avatar
Poundingsand Silver Member Peer Ebbighausen
Los Angeles, CA, USA   USA
I met Mr. Cussler once at a book signing and asked about the collection, but I don't recall him mentioning it was readily accessible...it was years ago. I guess I'll add it to the bucket list!

Seldom Seen Avatar
Lyons, CO, USA   USA
1966 MG MGB "Nigel"
https://www.cusslermuseum.com/ smiling smiley We have seventy-five of his books - mostly hardback. That helped pay for those automobiles.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-02 05:54 PM by Seldom Seen.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Poundingsand Avatar
Very cool, thanks for the link!

I would say I have at least twenty of his books, one signed by him...always a fun read...and re-read...

10kpharo Avatar
10kpharo Gold Member Julian L
Windsor Lodge, West Coast of New York, USA   USA
1955 Austin A30 Van
2007 Ford F-150 Pickup "Clifford The Big Red Truck"
I'll take his Avions Voison, as made famous in his book, 'Sahara'.

"We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane" - Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

Interested in Austin cars? Check out my Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/orphanaustincars/

Poundingsand Avatar
That is indeed a pretty car...

Simon Austin Avatar
He’s been a favourite author of mine for years. I’d love to see the collection one day.

"Speed costs........how fast you want to spend?"

OldBloke Avatar
OldBloke Gold Member Jim Legg
Napa, CA, USA   USA
1970 Rover 3500
1970 Rover P6 "Napa NADA II"
1971 MG MGB GT
1972 MG MGB V6 Conversion    & more
Been to the Arvada museum twice now. One with MG2019 group and MG V8 meet up held in Colorado Springs. Definitely a worthwhile museum!

"Not all who wander are lost." -J.R.R. Tolkien

Attachments:
Clive Cussler 55 MGTF (Medium).jpg    49.7 KB
Clive Cussler 55 MGTF (Medium).jpg

copernicus Avatar
copernicus Nick Kopernik
Snowless Winter, CT, USA   USA
To each their own; mine would be a Ghia 450SS:

Attachments:
ghia.jpg    11.6 KB
ghia.jpg

MGB65B Avatar
MGB65B Gold Member Thomas Aczel
Sydney, Kurrajong Hts, Australia   AUS
1962 MG MGA MkII
1965 MG MGB "Dad's Little White Car"
My father worked for a Hungarian industrialist, Baron Weiss Manfred prior to World War II. This gentleman single handedly presided over the massive Csepel works outside Budapest that in their heyday made everything from pots and pans to bicycles, motorcycles and even locomotives.
My father was in the Baron’s employ when the Baron took delivery of his new V16 Cadillac. (My father started with the Baron as his personal chauffeur). My (much older) half brother recalls how my father demonstrated the remarkably quiet and smooth V16 engine to him one day,and proceeded to balance a coin on its side on the engine while it ran. Quite extraordinary for the time.
Interestingly, for casual non-official occasions the Baron and my father would always prefer to take the Rover!

As a kid I remember saying once how neat it must have been getting to drive all these fancy cars. “Not so cool” he said, “not when you’re stuck outside in the cold for hours waiting for the Baron to emerge from one of his business meetings”. (The Baron had offices and branches throughout Europe).

My father’s admiration of Rover cars, (rather than that Cadillac), stayed with him for the rest of his life.

OldBloke Avatar
Napa, CA, USA   USA
1970 Rover 3500
1971 MG MGB GT
In reply to # 3882375 by MGB65B My father worked for a Hungarian industrialist, Baron Weiss Manfred prior to World War II. This gentleman single handedly presided over the massive Csepel works outside Budapest that in their heyday made everything from pots and pans to bicycles, motorcycles and even locomotives.
My father was in the Baron’s employ when the Baron took delivery of his new V16 Cadillac. (My father started with the Baron as his personal chauffeur). My (much older) half brother recalls how my father demonstrated the remarkably quiet and smooth V16 engine to him one day,and proceeded to balance a coin on its side on the engine while it ran. Quite extraordinary for the time.
Interestingly, for casual non-official occasions the Baron and my father would always prefer to take the Rover!

As a kid I remember saying once how neat it must have been getting to drive all these fancy cars. “Not so cool” he said, “not when you’re stuck outside in the cold for hours waiting for the Baron to emerge from one of his business meetings”. (The Baron had offices and branches throughout Europe).

My father’s admiration of Rover cars, (rather than that Cadillac), stayed with him for the rest of his life.

Rovers DO grow on you once you have driven one...!

tvrgeek Avatar
tvrgeek Silver Member Scott S
Hillsborough, North Carolinia, USA   USA
1965 MG MGB
Iso or the Fura bodied V6 AC chassis. I do love the body of a Ferrari 330. But for now, my dream is an Avanti II.

Cogito ergo sum periculoso

OldBloke Avatar
Napa, CA, USA   USA
1970 Rover 3500
1971 MG MGB GT
I like the look of the Avanti, but the one I drove was so unbalanced...heavy in front and light in the rear, had to be 'walked' thru the twisties most of the time. Reminiscent of '60s Mustangs. Gotta stay focused drivin' 'em.

tvrgeek Avatar
tvrgeek Silver Member Scott S
Hillsborough, North Carolinia, USA   USA
1965 MG MGB
I'll find out as I have two Avantis lined up to look at. If I went with the older one, I was thinking a 4.3 conversion. Add 100 HP, drop 150 pounds from the nose and give enough room for a rack and pinion front end. They are a 59 Lark chassis. ( Late ones were not as pretty on the Chevy chassis). No doubt they are a typical early pony car to drive. We can take what we learned with Mustangs and Camaros to make them a bit more controlled. Modern tires do wonders. More careful rubber bushings, quick steer links, modern shocks and even bigger bars can make them respond a lot quicker. SOP are brake upgrades and many pull the 305 for a 350.

Cogito ergo sum periculoso

Seldom Seen Avatar
Lyons, CO, USA   USA
1966 MG MGB "Nigel"
I already own my other dream car. It's my 1972 Alfa Romeo GTV 2000. It's not fast like a Miura or 911, it doesn't cost as much as a Dusenberg or Ferrari. But it's stunningly beautiful, extremely well built and dead reliable.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster