AutoShrine Sponsor

david.g.h Avatar
david.g.h David Harrison
Stratford upon Avon, UK   GBR
1929 Austin 7
1932 Austin 7 "Cabbage"
1956 MG Magnette ZA
1989 Porsche 944 S2
In saw this at a 1968 London to Sydney Rally reunion on Sunday. It was prepared (with works help) for the London to Mexico world Cup rally in 1971. for a British Army team. It has a 1275 engine & apparently was remarkably quick & nimble (no heavy lump in the nose!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_1083.JPG    51 KB
IMG_1083.JPG

copernicus Avatar
copernicus Nick Kopernik
Snowless Winter, CT, USA   USA
I had a Marina GT back in the mid 70's and always found it quite quick & fun to drive; your photo brings back a some good memories (there are a few bad ones as well!).

GuideA Avatar
GuideA Guy D
Rhes-y-cae, Flintshire, UK   GBR
I have one and it would slide about all over the place on any surface.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
david.g.h Avatar
david.g.h David Harrison
1929 Austin 7
1932 Austin 7 "Cabbage"
1956 MG Magnette ZA
1989 Porsche 944 S2
This car is apparently a true replica of the original & it handles very well....I don't know how far it got, I will look it up!

david.g.h Avatar
david.g.h David Harrison
1929 Austin 7
1932 Austin 7 "Cabbage"
1956 MG Magnette ZA
1989 Porsche 944 S2
Much Fake News!
The Marina that was entered in the 1974 world Cup Rally London Sahara Munich (No 8) was a Marina V8 (!) according to the entry list. This replica I was told has a 1275 engine..... (some replica!)
The original retired along the route, but I cannot find where yet. I will ask John Helmsley!
Apologies for the duff data

IanD Avatar
IanD Ian Dixon
Newcastle, UK   GBR
Seen your post it was not fake news only not complete. The engine was as the original a V8 MGB engine and box, the original car broke its axle in the Sahara and could of been flew to Tunisia for the restart of the event but it was not meant to be as duty called for the crew in Ireland. The car was transported back to Foden in the UK and repaired and later appeared in a 1974 November issue of AutoCar who road tested it.

Attachments:
EE161CF7-B874-4D3C-BF4F-B875C90CCBD6.jpeg    58.7 KB
EE161CF7-B874-4D3C-BF4F-B875C90CCBD6.jpeg

david.g.h Avatar
david.g.h David Harrison
1929 Austin 7
1932 Austin 7 "Cabbage"
1956 MG Magnette ZA
1989 Porsche 944 S2
Very interesting Ian!
Unfortunately I haven't been in contact with John Helmsley to get the grisly details....nor can I open your attachments, which is a pity.
I don't know if BAMA (British Army Motoring Association) had a hand in this entry, but they had a had a history of entering unusual vehicles. (basically anything anyone would lend the Army I suspect!)
I did the 1966 RAC in a (very) well used former Rover team car - 3 litre P5 Rover -but we finished ! & then was entered in the 1967 RAC in an NSU110TTS. Happily that event was cancelled because of the Foot & Mouth epidemic... I did not fancy Special Stages with a big fuel tank over our knees (and no such sissy things as roll cages!)

Attachments:
RAC Rally 1966 1.jpg    57.3 KB
RAC Rally 1966 1.jpg

RAC Rally 1966 2 jpegmg001.jpg    47.9 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IanD Avatar
IanD Ian Dixon
Newcastle, UK   GBR
Great pictures David, John has helped me quite a bit with the car and was at the event last year, it was the first time he had seen the car and still looked the part sitting behind the wheel.

Attachments:
49E4D6D8-D62D-4C21-BDC1-8A05761B3862.jpeg    67.1 KB
49E4D6D8-D62D-4C21-BDC1-8A05761B3862.jpeg

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster