HERON EUROPA

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

LE VESINET, PARIS, France   FRA
1955 MG Magnette ZA "V8 SPECIAL"
HAS ANYBODY HEARD ABOUT A HERON EUROPA ? THESE CARS 7 IN TOTAL WERE MADE BY HERON PLASTICS
A BOAT COMPANY IN LONDON IN THE SIXTIES. THE CAR I AM RESTORING IS THE PROTOTYPE OF THE WELL
KNOWN DIVA RACING CAR.ALL FIBREGLASS BODY WITH STEEL BOX CHASSIS/ FORD 1500 PRE CROSSFLOW
ENGINE WITH TWIN WEBBERS.I HOPE TO HAVE IT RUNNING IN THE SUMMER AND WHY NOT ONE DAY AT THE
GOODWOOD REVIVAL !!YOU NEVER KNOW..IF ANY BODY WOULD LIKE SOME MORE INFO ON THIS CAR LET ME
KNOW/ AT THE MOMENT I AM UP TO MY EYEBALLS IN FIBREGLASS AND HOPE TO GET ON WITH THE CHASSIS
NEXT WEEK

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
HERON DEPART 20 JANV 001.jpg    44.2 KB
HERON DEPART 20 JANV 001.jpg

HERON DEPART 20 JANV 004.jpg    47.5 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
HERON DEPART 20 JANV 015.jpg    33.2 KB
DON SIM HERON 2 027.jpg    62.5 KB
I WILL HAVE TO REBODY THE ALVIS TA14 AND LENGTHEN THE CHASSIS......NEXT PROJECT !!

Attachments:
TA 14 A REFAIRE.jpg    39.5 KB
TA 14 A REFAIRE.jpg

MG AU MONTLHERY 003.jpg    63.3 KB
E TYPE TOP.jpg    49.4 KB
JENSEN GREEN 001.jpg    59 KB
stuart sinclair Avatar
honiton, UK   GBR
1979 MG MGB GT
1998 MG MGF
1999 MG MGF "Brr"
Are you going to get it finished in time for the historic meet at Laon in June ?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
10kpharo Avatar
10kpharo Gold Member Julian L
Windsor Lodge, West Coast of New York, USA   USA
1955 Austin A30 Van
2007 Ford F-150 Pickup "Clifford The Big Red Truck"
Very cool! Can't wait to see that when it's finished!

"We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane" - Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

Interested in Austin cars? Check out my Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/orphanaustincars/

Nightrader1 Mike Dunsmore
Rickmansworth, Hertfordshire, UK   GBR
Hi strange place to find a Heron Europa. I use to own one back in early seventies. Bought it as non runner and got it going again though not a real rebuild. Passed on to cousin when I set off around the world in a Landrover who then sold it on for rebuild. Was in a classic car/rebuild magazine but cannot trace on internet. Only have one photo of my car which I will try and find and forward.
Mike

HELLO MIKE !! THESE CARS ARE SO RARE THAT YOUR REPLY IS SO VERY WELCOME

MY CAR IS / 692 ELC / AND WAS MODIFIED AT SOME TIME WITH A REAR RE LOOK AND

OVERALL A SEPERATE CHASSIS AND FORD 4 LINK REAR END IN CONTRAST TO THE TRADITIONAL TRIUMPH REAR AXLE SET UP

MY CAR ALSO HAS A HINGED BONNET HOUSING THE 1500CC FORD PRE CROSSFLOW

I BOUGHT THIS CAR IN FRANCE BUT IT CAME FROM GB WITH EXTRA WIDE WHEELS AND
SUN ROOF HOLE !!
IT MIGHT BE THE DIVA PROTOTYPE.....HAVING THE SEPERATE CHASSIS

OF COURSE I WOULD LOVE TO RECREATE ITS PAST.....HAVING INVESTED MUCH TIME
AND MONEY TO RESTORE TO DRIVE AND MAYBE RACE IN HISTORICS

I INCLUDE A FEW MORE PICS BUT PLEASE / PLEASE KEEP IN TOUCH / YOUR COMMENTS
ON YOUR CAR ARE EXTREMELY VALUABLE/ MAYBE YOU CAN FIND THAT PHOTOGRAPH !

THANKS ......ANDREW

Attachments:
HERON ID 004.jpg    60.8 KB
HERON ID 004.jpg

HERON 001.jpg    47.5 KB
HERON AVANCE 003.jpg    37 KB
HERON AVANCE 016.jpg    50.1 KB
Costie Phil Costen
Godalming, Surrey, UK   GBR
Hello
I owned a Hero Europa GT some years ago. It was red, with a 1500 Cortina engine. Judging by your photos the construction was similar in that the chassis, resembling that of a Triumph Herald, was bonded to the body. It had triumph front and rear suspension, including the swing spring rear axle. Where it differed is that it had a traditional bonnet rather than the entire front hinged,
It was a good car but need considerable development. I sold it on to someone who became a close friend, now sadly passed away.
Phil

HI PHIL / YOUR MESSAGE IS REALLY IMPORTANT BECAUSE THESE CARS ARE SO RARE

DO YOU REMEMBER THE REG NO OR MAYBE SOME PICS/ I HAVE A FRIEND WHO IS RESTORING
A HERON EUROPA AS YOU DESCRIBE IT AND MINE HAS BEEN MODIFIED AT SOME TIME BUT WAS
PROBABLY THE BUCK FOR THE DIVA....ALSO CALLED DIVA GT

DO YOU HAVE THE NAME OF YOUR FRIEND WHO ACQUIRED THE CAR?
I HAVE ALSO CONTACTED DON SIM ON DETAILS BUT HE CANT REMEMBER THE DETAILS

ANY INFORMATION IS IMPORTANT...........THANKS ANDREW

Costie Phil Costen
Dear Andrew
I am working in Belfast at the moment and my home is in Godalming so any pictures are there. My car was in a very early edition of what was to become Classic and Thoroughbred Cars. It was red and like yours had a power bulge on the bonnet.
I also contacted Don and what from what I gather reading around the windscreen was made in London by a firm that still exists and apparently cut down from an Alfa Romeo of the era. I did contact them and they said they could do it but if the glass broke they would charge me for its. It had a Perspex screen when it was in my care, as well as a rear Perspex one. The side windows, which we on counterbalance arms and very rapid to open were glass-similar to the Jensen 541.
I converted the single instrument pod from a single what looked like a Ford Transit van speedo to a matched Smiths speedo and tach plus added some discrete led lights for indicators, battery charge, full beam etc. The dash was well organised in that the top of the pod came off so that you could get at all the wiring. I did rewire it using a Spitfire loom.
My problem was one of overheating, in spite of uprating the radiator and putting in a header tank-so I suspect I had an air lock somewhere.
As mentioned it was a 1500 with downdraught Weber, although one of the GTs did have a Lotus engine.
I sold it to Bob Jensen who had a collection of strange cars and Bob eventually had me go over them all and sell them. So the Heron, Turner GT, Davrian etc came back to me to get working and sell on. The Turner, which is the only GT, was a right mess underneath so I had to farm out the welding. The Davrian was a load of rubbish. The manufacturers admitted that the body shape was different on each side.
I had two bites at the cherry with the |Heron-I misedit the first time in Bracknell in 1981, and then bought it in Arborfield in 1986 for the same price. I sold it to Bob in 1987 and then for Bob in 1990 to some guys in the Midlands who were starting a racing car sales business. It left Godalming on the back of a trailer and I regret selling. it. The other one I know of is French Blue.
p.costen@qub.ac.uk

HI PHIL/ AS I WAS LOOKING AROUND FOR SOME HERON INFO I CROPPED UP ON A DARK BLUE CAR
WHICH WAS FOR SALE BUT THE NEARSIDE WING WAS DAMAGED
A FRIEND OF MINE ARNAUD HAS BOUGHT IT AND IT IS BEING RESTORED / IT IS AS THE ORIGINAL
WITH SWING AXLE AND BONDED CHASSIS MAYBE THAT IS THE BLUE CAR YOU WERE TALKING ABOUT?

PLEASE KEEP IN TOUCH...............ANDREW

Costie Phil Costen
Dear Andrew
I think the dark blue one may have been ELA that appears in all the publicity photos and the copy of Motorsport from 1963. There is a copy on ebay and it contains an article on the Heron Europa and the Diva. As mentioned the French blue one appeared in one of the classic car mags about ten years ago, while mine was red.
Yours sincerely

Phil
p.costen@qub.ac.uk

Kas Ken S
Harwich, Little oakley, UK   GBR
Hi I used to work for heron plastics in greenwich London Derek bishop was the boss there. I made the 750 bodies and heron europa and diva body shells this was the 60's the show car was at olylimpa on London this was a navy blue car. Ken stevens.

this is for ken stevens: fantastic information: could you please contact me : the car is finished but
i know nothing about its history: or even much about heron :except the articles about don simm: etc

please mail me: magnette2@live;fr

thanks in advance.........;;;;ANDREW

scuppernongwine Elliott b
Atlanta, Ga, USA   USA
1936 MG TA
1951 MG TD
1951 MG TD
I ran across this thread while doing research on a Heron Europa that I own. I'm in the United States. It has been off the road for many years. It doesn't have an engine or transmission so I couldn't say what engine it had originally. I purchased it and another vintage formula race car from the estate of a vintage race car driver. I've had a number of fiberglass specials and just couldn't turn this one down! Please feel free to get in touch with me if you also own one or have any knowledge about them. Thanks.

Attachments:
20180904_182852.jpg    64.8 KB
20180904_182852.jpg

20180904_182706.jpg    62.2 KB
VintageBob Avatar
VintageBob Platinum Member Bob Crow
Alvin, TX, USA   USA
1972 MG Midget MkIII "The Green Car"
1972 MG Midget MkIII "The White Car"
Very interesting and nicely shaped.

If you go to the GOOGLE search engine and type in images heron europa car there are about 50 pictures or more of this type car.

There is also a short Wikipedia entry for Heron Plastics.

Try searching for heron europa car on various search engine websites.

Bob Crow.
------------------------------------------------------------

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster