AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

tvrgeek Avatar
tvrgeek Silver Member Scott S
Hillsborough, North Carolinia, USA   USA
1965 MG MGB
Contemplating my next project. I have wanted an Avanti since about 7th grade, but recently have been thinking Jensen Interceptor or Stag.
Besides me, it needs automatic with gearing for modern highways, AC and room for her luggage. Any pros and cons or alternatives? An outside thought is a Fox Mustang.

Cogito ergo sum periculoso

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Interceptor Avatar
Interceptor Mike Brand
Shenandoah Valley, VA, USA   USA
1955 MG TF 1500 "The TF"
1956 Volvo TP21 "Sugga"
1963 Jaguar E-Type Coupe "401K"
1967 MG MGB GT "The GT"    & more
Jensen Interceptors are very capable Grand Tourers, and at around 4200lbs. produce a smooth, comfortable ride. The MOPAR drivetrain helps US owners with maintenance. Well made with Quality materials, the Interceptor was expensive to purchase. With Taxes based on engine displacement, the 6.3 Liter and later 7.2 Liter engines required deep pockets to maintain. High Speed and High Costs.....the Press quickly dubbed the Interceptor...The Gentleman's Express
Stainless Steel Trim, Leaded body seams, Six Connelly Hides, basically hand assembled.....the Interceptor is a Quality Machine. Emission requirements of the day required the big V8s to be severely muzzled, but today you could double the HP and easily overpower tires. Nice Cars!

edit. In 1976...you could buy a Jensen Interceptor...... or 3 Chevrolet Corvettes and have $1300 left in your pocket.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-02 09:16 AM by Interceptor.

OldBloke Avatar
OldBloke Gold Member Jim Legg
Napa, CA, USA   USA
1970 Rover 3500
1970 Rover P6 "Napa NADA II"
1971 MG MGB GT
1972 MG MGB V6 Conversion    & more
Under appreciated, undervalued...Rover P6 saloons. Active internet forums (sound familiar?) with lots of knowledgable folks. A number of engine choices, prefer the V8s myself.

"Not all who wander are lost." -J.R.R. Tolkien

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
Napa NADA 5.jpg    54.9 KB
Napa NADA 5.jpg

10kpharo Avatar
10kpharo Gold Member Julian L
Windsor Lodge, West Coast of New York, USA   USA
1955 Austin A30 Van
2007 Ford F-150 Pickup "Clifford The Big Red Truck"
I like the Fox Mustangs, too. Plenty of parts available, power ups, great web forums. Biggest problem would be finding a candidate that isn't rusted out or a mish-mash of prior owners performance mods.

Love the Avanti, which also benefits from the US drivetrain. Good owners support. I'm assuming because the models barely changed that many panels,etc, are interchangeable, but I could be wrong about that.

Was going to say 'Lotus Elan', but auto and a/c probably rule that out.

What about one of the Studebaker Hawk models?

Wild idea: MG Arnolt 1500 coupe, with aftermarket a/c and an auto conversion.

"We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane" - Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

Interested in Austin cars? Check out my Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/orphanaustincars/

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-04 12:01 PM by 10kpharo.

kirks-auto Platinum Member Robert Kirk
Davenport, IA, USA   USA
I did love the Avanti until I drove a neighbor's. It handles like a truck despite it's cutting edge unparalleled asymmetry design. The Jenson's bumpers are paper thin and impossible to replace...I know this first hand. Both the Stag and Sterling were made by Leyland which any study of history will point out, were in terrible shape in the 70s...at several levels and their product reflected the mayhem, and it only got worse every year.
I own 42 cars and 1972 is my absolute limit on age and I prefer 68 and earlier. The Mustang was also made in a troubled time in Detroit.

Regards,
Robert Kirk

kirkbrit@yahoo.com
E-mail PLEASE for quote/questions/orders

Business phone 563 323 1017

http://kirks-auto.com/
Moss distributor/UK importer
Beat or match most retail/delivered quote

Member Services:
Parts for your classic British and Italian car. 30 years in business.
tvrgeek Avatar
1965 MG MGB
Avanti is a 62 Lark and stock it sure drives like one, or late ugly bumper cars were a Malibu, but that can be fixed and the original Stud V8 or later Chevy 305 can be swapped for a newer 350 with OD automatic. Hog troughs are the only real issue. Big project though.

P6 is a great car, but I was cautioned by an owner about highway cruising. Geared too low. I do like them. I love a Jag Mk II but are a bit tight and expensive for me. I don't fit in a XK150 so I don't have to be teased. Love the older Alfa and Fiat lines, but just don't care for how they drive.

I have started to appreciate the Hawk lines, but gad they are big and the word "tank" does not even come close. Way ahead of the rest of the US cars in style, way behind in technology. Lowe understood sleek when Earl was just doing fins.

Both the Jensen and Stag are well known for electrical issues, but I rewire everything from scratch anyway. Stag would need Rover or Chevy V6 conversion to get a modern OD automatic.

Long weekend trip and talked to a lot of friends. Half say Jensen, half say a B GT. The Jensen would be a restoration, GT means re-engineering ( V6 or Volvo, AC, automatic etc) I also like the Jensen GT but don't know anything about then other than looking at them.

On paper a TR8 would work, but would buy a 280i first. I wanted a 280i coupe but they are actually shorter than the roadster and uncomfortable for me. Cant fold up my legs to get in or out of a 2500M any more. Just too new. As I get older, I find I like older. When I win Power BalI may have to buy a Delahay.

I thought about one of the newer Jags. Not too expensive to buy, but maintenance is horrendous. An XJS with a SBC motor is an idea I guess. I do like the XJ6 coupe, but pretty rare. Maybe just plain a big old XJ6 sedan but finding a rust free may be impossible.

I would by another Saab 99 but no parts. Another Volvo 240? Older 120? A little chassis work and the big old boxes can really haul. Funny, when I had my last one, people were always pulling out in front of me, assuming I was a granny tree-hugger driver. I surprised a few. I love P1800 estates, but prices are skyrocketing.

I have time to think while I continue with my B but one thing I learned in the last 40 years of hobby cars is to be ready when one comes along and not wait until you are ready.

Another Morgan is out. TD is more of a around town car. A Panther might work, but darn rare. Wife won't ride in a gull wing, so no Delorean.

I guess I like too many very different cars. I find I always prefer the British car personality over others. ( so no 924)

Guess I should drive a Jensen next. Probably far cheaper when done as no re-engineering is needed ( Just a FAST TBI as it gives about 50 HP and 3 MPG)

No mention of DBs. I am a retired civil servant and can't afford a poster of one. Passed on a Elan +2S, passed on an old race car cheap ( yea, it was one of the Daytonas!) Passed on an Aceca, couldn't get my feet into a early 7, passed on an ISO as way out of range.

Should haves: Passed Hunter/TR6. Passed on an Intermeccanica ( TVE Griffith 600)

kirks-auto Platinum Member Robert Kirk
Davenport, IA, USA   USA
Just sold my Intermeccania Omega, 1 of 39 off, stock Holman and Moody Ford drive line. I am now left with a Detomasso Mangusta, 1 of 401 total, one of 50 US spec quad head lights, and Facel Vega FV (stock Mopar drive train) one of less than 300 total production, and 63 E-type fhc. After a big meal I've got the 65 Imperial convertible after selling my last of the run 67 Lincoln suicide door convertible. Loved the Lincoln cruising the ghetto, but can't see any of the 4 corners clearly in the Imperial.

Driving a first time sports car at 16, TR3, the hook was set, 54 years later, accommodation trumps acceleration and adrenaline rushes. Your remark about the TD is EXACTLY more to my speed now and a 1950 Willys Jeepster is a good middle ground. As you appear to have little regard for authenticity, rebody a Bronco/UTE chassis with a Jeepster body and any V6...for me I like the the flat and F head with Dana OD originals.

Regards,
Robert Kirk

kirkbrit@yahoo.com
E-mail PLEASE for quote/questions/orders

Business phone 563 323 1017

http://kirks-auto.com/
Moss distributor/UK importer
Beat or match most retail/delivered quote

Member Services:
Parts for your classic British and Italian car. 30 years in business.
tvrgeek Avatar
1965 MG MGB
Original is what I prefer if the car is rare or has some history. One of half a million B's, OK, whatever. Even my TVR, they made 947 of them pretty much with what they found lying around, so being 100% original is somewhat amusing. I was conversing with Trevor at a show many years ago about what he thought about his cars being modified. His answer was clear: " Do they go faster?"

If I am not into anything, it is Jeeps and trucks. Just not my thing. I have a Sonoma as it is a tool. The Jeepster was pretty cool though.

I missed the opportunity for the Omega. I found one at a used truck dealer in Denver. ('75 maybe) They thought it was a kit car. I knew nothing about them then and had not met Jack yet. I was scared off by the cracked windshield. It had a replacement 302 in it and was in really rough shape. Oh for what I know now. The same day I almost traded my Sonnet in for a Elan +2S but rational thinking reminded me I had to be able to get to work every day. I passed on an SP250 as I only saw a picture and thought it was just too ugly. Again, did not know how special they are. That Saab sure was fun though. Drove it flat out everywhere and never got a ticket because it was not fast enough, but what a hoot to drive.

JoeReed Avatar
JoeReed Gold Member Joe Reed
Cordova, TN, USA   USA
1978 MG MGB "Kermit"
You mentioned XJ6. I had a '97....last year before the XK8....that I bought used. I wanted that year because I wanted the big Jag 6. It was a great car. Very trouble free mechanically. Great to drive and very comfortable. The only issues I had with it were with accessories.....telescoping steering wheel (reach cable, I think it was called), and a couple of other things I could do without. At least parts are available, and I doubt are any more expensive than parts for some of the more obscure cars you mention. I fairly often see nice, relatively low mileage XJ6s on Craigslist....

tvrgeek Avatar
1965 MG MGB
Yea, last year had the XK6. Much better choice. ( first failure of the V12 leads to a Chevy 350 swap) I saw one for sale but am just not sure. I need to drive one. It was many many years ago last time. They did come in a coupe if I remember. Might be right. Common enough not to attract too much attention. Only needs maintenance, not re-engineering.

Triumphant66 Avatar
Triumphant66 Kent C
Richmond, VA, USA   USA
1956 Austin-Healey 100M "ParisieM"
1963 MG MGB
1964 MG MGB "Nanette"
1966 Austin-Healey 3000 BJ8    & more
Jensen Intetceptor would be my choice. Looks way more expensive than it is and is a beautiful design.

My first LBC: 1969 MGB purchased in July 1977 in Richmond, VA somewhere in the Fan District. OO get in touch?.

tvrgeek Avatar
1965 MG MGB
Only from the front, but we don't look at the rear that much while driving! Guess I should join their club and amass some information. I still love the styling of the Stag.

Can you believe a Mustang selling for over a million? OK, so it is a one-off GT-500, but it is still a freaking Mustang. Proof value is in the eye of the buyer, and no relation to cost or quality. Pop art I guess.

A 67 or 68 Cougar with some chassis improvements I would like, but they are a bit rare.

JoeReed Avatar
JoeReed Gold Member Joe Reed
Cordova, TN, USA   USA
1978 MG MGB "Kermit"
In reply to # 3872427 by tvrgeek Yea, last year had the XK6. Much better choice. ( first failure of the V12 leads to a Chevy 350 swap) I saw one for sale but am just not sure. I need to drive one. It was many many years ago last time. They did come in a coupe if I remember. Might be right. Common enough not to attract too much attention. Only needs maintenance, not re-engineering.

The coupe version was only made for a short time in the 70s and are probably pretty rare now. They all had vinyl roofs. I heard that the reason for that was that removing the B pillar made the roof too flexible and the vinyl was there to hide the wrinkles!

tvrgeek Avatar
1965 MG MGB
From WIKI, they used the I6 in the XJS for more than the last year. Maybe it was just not available in N.A. Anyway, about 3 times the convertibles than coups.

XK8s seem to go pretty cheap. A bit new and probably hard to DIY. Rare was the XJ6 2-door coupe. I passed one up at Carlisle a few years back. Sure was pretty even if fragile. It had a painted hood.

tvrgeek Avatar
1965 MG MGB
Looking around. Just can't get myself to get excited by a Fox Mustang. Never liked Cameros. XK8 too new. Back to Jensen, Stag, or something older and British. I like the Jensen GT as well, but doubt any came with auto and air.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster