AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

tvrgeek Avatar
tvrgeek Silver Member Scott S
Hillsborough, North Carolinia, USA   USA
1965 MG MGB
Going to go look at a 67 Cougar next week. They need a little updating to drive like an 80's car, but not too bad.
Figured I just could not live with a red on red 89 Avanti. The one offered has been butchered to some extent and the 155 HP out of a 305 needs a bit of work, add in a 700R and repaint and interior, too expensive.

Just a thought, I wonder if the Miata engine and automatic would fit in an Alpine. Might be even better than the 2.8 Ford. If you really can put a 700R on a Rover, then a Rover 3500 becomes attractive.

Back of my mind, can't give up on a 280i. Swap the original 2.8 3 sp automatic for a Mustang 2.8 EFI with AOD. Redesign the AC as it was a joke.

I really need to wit the lottery, they my choice woudl be "yes", not which!

Cogito ergo sum periculoso

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
tvrgeek Avatar
1965 MG MGB
Well, scratch the Alpine. Just not going to do it for me. I actually like my B better. It was a nice car, Series 4, steel top.
So Avanti, Stag, Cougar. Had a bright idea: Drop a 4.3 V6 into the Avanti. 150 Lbs lighter, shorter for better weight distro, and already 100 HP better than the 305.

tvrgeek Avatar
1965 MG MGB
Pretty sure it will be an Avanti. Holding out to look at a Stag.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
tvrgeek Avatar
1965 MG MGB
Totaled up what it would cost to bring a 67 Cougar up to mid-80's daily driver/cruiser spec. R&P conversion, brake upgrades, probably a torque tube coilover rear, safer seats, modify roof to hold shoulder belts, clean up the heads, HP manifolds, DUI dizzy, and a TBI then swap the C4 to an AOD. WIthout any body or paint, parts would run 15 to 20K. One could go crazy with Mustang restro rod parts and drop well over 100 if they wanted. I guess having owned a 66 and 67 Mustang, I know too much about what is wrong with them. Early second generation is probably a better car, but do nothing for me.

Sarphati Avatar
Sarphati Darren Sullivan Vince
London, London, UK   GBR
The Interceptor is a great car. However, my friends who have one always complain about how easily they rust. Body work they say on these cars is not cheap if done correctly.
The Interceptor will be much more expensive to maintain than the Stag. The Stag is far cheaper with LOADS of parts available.

The Interceptor convertible beats the Stag on looks any day of the week. My friends has a beautiful one in metallic dark grey with a burgundy interior. Stunning.

----

Darren Sullivan Vince
London

My cars:
- 1961 Morris Minor Saloon
- 1965 Triumph Vitesse
- 1970 MGB Roadster
- 1958 BMW 502

tvrgeek Avatar
1965 MG MGB
I'm a coupe guy anyway. Have to admit, the rear of the Jensen coupe is not pretty, but you look out the front. I actually think the Stag is prettier. The Jensen is prettier under the bonnet by over 2 liters. .

Looked at several 67 Mustangs, 280ZX and a XKS today. Mustangs feel like "home" when I get in one. ( I had two) Darn that Jag is as long as a second generation Mustang or Camaro. Second gen Mustangs just look too big from inside, though second gen Camaro is not as bad, just 50% more expensive for the same basic year and condition.

Heading to Mertel Beach to look at a Cougar tomorrow, and as soon as clear weather up north, 2 Avanti's and a Stag.

I thought shoulder belts were required from 68. Every 68 and newer car I ever had had belts. Dealer says it was not until 72 or so. Adding some structure to the roof of a Mustang would take a bit of work to install proper 3-points. Basically a B pillar. I consider them mandatory for street cars.

Another thought was to buy an XK8 and save the 15K difference for the first years repairs. They seem to be giving them away, and I suspect for a reason. Kind of big again.

tvrgeek Avatar
1965 MG MGB
Scratch the Cougar. Actually like a Mustang better. Anyway, the rust free car: both doors, hood and deck, cowl, one rear quarter and both fenders were blistered. Dealer " I don't see any rust" Great driver" Everything under the paint was original. Totally worn out. Scared the heck out of me driving it. Probably a decent candidate for a full restoration, but not worth the 4 hour each way drive.

Had to have emergency eye surgery so it will be a few days until I can go see the Avantis.

1960healey Avatar
1960healey Larry Sanata
Delaware, OH, USA   USA
You also might want to consider an MGC. With modern-day tires and some attention to the suspension, both the roadster and GT are considered terrific highway cruisers.

Larry Sanata
Publisher
North American Classic MG magazine

740-917-5759
classicmgmagazine@gmail.com
www.facebook.com/ClassicMGMagazine

tvrgeek Avatar
1965 MG MGB
I looked at a C before I bought my Bs. I was terribly disappointed. Steering way too heavy, would not rev, terrible automatic, basically I did not like it.

My fallback is to build a GT, V6 or V8, but I was looking for a bit bigger car. Then I saw a Hathaway/Hunter for sale. I wish I knew if I fit in them. Only 20 were built.

Maybe next week I can look at the Avanti's. Eye surgery Thursday.

tvrgeek Avatar
1965 MG MGB
Darn, 67 Mustangs keep growing on me. About the easiest to put a modern suspension under. Road trip this weekend I hope.

tvrgeek Avatar
1965 MG MGB
Well, scratch the Avanti. Right size, beautiful, comfortable, and all the personality of a wet noodle. Guess American iron just does not do it.
Back to British I guess. XJS, Rover 3500, 280i? Don't know now. Back to square one. Maybe forget the GT idea and do something like a B20 in a TD.

angliagt Avatar
angliagt Doug Milota
Roanoke, VA, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB GT "The MG"
1974 MG Midget MkIII "The Midget"
There's a guy I know here in Roanoke who has a collection
of XJS's.A few of them are for sale.I can put you in touch with him,
if you're interested.

tvrgeek Avatar
1965 MG MGB
Yes please. PM if you like. Part of me does not want that new, but they do have everything already included. 6 cylinder versions only. thumbs up
There is one in Charolett I am going to look at if it ever stops raining. I still want to drive a Stag, but I am getting resistance from the wife about another major project.

Fat Man can do a custom front subframe , but it totals about 6K for an Avanti and you have to lift the body. A P1800es is still a maybe. I know of a Simitar, but I don't think I want to live with right hand drive on a daily basis. I don't remember if a 280i has enough leg room. The coupes were tighter and for me, too short. One would make a great shooting brake. Maybe a 280z if I can find one. Problem is, when Datsun copied British cars, they copied their tendency to be "biodegradable" too. All the 944's I found have been too used up and they seem a little sterile to me. Can't get parts for old Saabs, older Alfa coups seem to have disappeared. Even for one of the best cars I ever owned, an 88 Prelude si you can't get parts for. It seems 60's cars are easier to maintain. Less complicated.

Well, just need to bleed my clutch and my 5-speed conversion will be back on the road. I hope to make to to a few shows this summer and who knows what I will find.

Interceptor Avatar
Interceptor Mike Brand
Shenandoah Valley, VA, USA   USA
1955 MG TF 1500 "The TF"
1956 Volvo TP21 "Sugga"
1963 Jaguar E-Type Coupe "401K"
1967 MG MGB GT "The GT"    & more
In reply to # 3890187 by tvrgeek A P1800es is still a maybe.

Now that would be a Good Choice. Comfortable, Roomy, Rebuildable, Reliable. Interior stuff could be difficult to find. On the underpowered side....but a capable cruiser, likely with OD.

I have 140s, 240s, 160s, 260s, and the old TP21. Never had a P1800.

tvrgeek Avatar
1965 MG MGB
Don't know about the reliability of the B20 engine. After all, one only lasted 3.2 MILLION miles. grinning smiley

If the rear end ratio is reasonable, even the dreaded T35 automatic might be OK, but OD far better. I had an 88 240 and I don't remember the clutch as being too stiff. I liked that car. It did have some personality. Just put on upgraded shocks. It really, really needed wider rims and tires. P1800's have gotten pricey, but in this case, I think it is for good reason. I prefer the es, but availability may be much less.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster