Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

copernicus Avatar
copernicus Nick Kopernik
Snowless Winter, CT, USA   USA
In cycling through many photos of the human & physical devastation left by H. Michael, I found this one of an AC and a Ford GT (??); don't understand why anyone would have left them behind:

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
181012140019-02-hurricane-michael-1012-exlarge-169.jpg    39.4 KB
181012140019-02-hurricane-michael-1012-exlarge-169.jpg

OldBloke Avatar
OldBloke Gold Member Jim Legg
Napa, CA, USA   USA
1970 Rover 3500
1970 Rover P6 "Napa NADA II"
1971 MG MGB GT
1972 MG MGB V6 Conversion    & more
Sad! Sad! Sad!

"Not all who wander are lost." -J.R.R. Tolkien

theonlyiceman53 Avatar
theonlyiceman53 Bill Russell
FL, USA   USA
1968 MG MGB
1974 MG MGB "Frankenstien"
1977 MG MGB "Wicked"
The last time I was evacuated was at 10 at night and I had a 1 month old daughter at the time. We got out and left my Jensen Healey in the garage without a thought to the damage that would happen. Three days later and I was able to open the front door and see the sun shining on the little waves in my living room. I spent a lot of time dismantling that Jensen and cleaning it out and sealing it.

Who knows what the story was but hope they were OK. Hurricanes are nothing to play with. The closest I've been is a hundred miles and that was bad enough. We moved inland because of that. Personally, I think it is foolish to live on the beach but that's only me.
Cheers,
Bill

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Simon Austin Avatar
They’re just cars. When it comes to hurricanes, there’s more important things to save.

"Speed costs........how fast you want to spend?"

little G Avatar
little G Charlie T
queensland, QLD, Australia   AUS
1964 MG MGB "Little G"
you could nearly think they were put there after the hurricane ....with all that steel and material twisted and fallen and the windshield undamaged and from that angle ..no dents in the ford GT.....amazing

sweep Avatar
sweep Gold Member Chris W
Gosford, NSW, Australia   AUS
1966 MG MGB "Basil"
2013 Volkswagen Tiguan
2015 Audi A3
or, clever photo editing.

In reply to # 3826218 by little G you could nearly think they were put there after the hurricane ....with all that steel and material twisted and fallen and the windshield undamaged and from that angle ..no dents in the ford GT.....amazing

The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.

To the intelligent person, life appears infinitely mysterious, but the stupid have an answer for everything.

Day Dreamers, don't discourage them. That's where original thought comes from.

Speedracer Avatar
Speedracer Platinum Member Hap Waldrop
Greenville, SC, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB Racecar "The Biscuit"
The Ford GT in those colors is a $250K piece.

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000
hapwaldrop@acmespeedshop.com

Member Services:
MG/ Triumph Performance Street/Race Engines - Cylinder Head Porting - Modified SU HS Carbs - DIY Engine Rebuild Kits With Free Tech Advice - VTO alloy wheels for British Sport Cars, and others
dagaffer Tom Raddatz
Western Springs, IL, USA   USA
If you look at the damage you have to understand how important it is to get out. As much as I love my cars, if it came to saving my cars and risking a break down during my evacuation, I would take my daily driver for the escape, plus, likely more room in the daily driver. Not to mention, collector car insurers are a lot easier to deal.
I think this guy made the right decision

copernicus Avatar
copernicus Nick Kopernik
Snowless Winter, CT, USA   USA
There is a difference in types of natural disasters: tornadoes, flash fires,, earthquakes, tsunamis, etc. are events that can catch people with little or no warning; its flee, hide, or else. Hurricanes are typically different as their forecasts start when a tropical depression is identified; next stage is tropical storm; and then the various levels of hurricanes. These processes can play out for days or weeks, so there is plenty of notice. The one factor which is always a bit of a crap shoot is the track of a hurricane. The various models used sometimes have a generally agreed upon track; at other times they can vary wildly, and then a hurricane can take a turn no one expected. The key to any disaster is mitigation and preparation: you avoid areas prone to issues and if you can't, you plan and act accordingly to mitigate a potential impact. Its proper planning and follow thru, actually, the lack thereof, that can create dangerous situations. I once had a customer that had multiple production facilities in the U.S. and they decided to consolidate. So the exec in charge decided to keep the factory in a southern coastal state open and close the other two that had almost -zero- chance of natural disaster events. Long story short, this critical operation was impacted over and over again by hurricanes, flooding, loss of power, and lack of employees who could get to the facility, and more importantly, employees who were trying to deal with their own families & homes being impacted. Poor planning overall, but then the exec in charge did get the company to move him to the state where he ultimately retired, all on the company dime; sighhhhhhh.

And to end, here's a photo of a tornado, earliest snapshot on record, although some believe the photo may have been doctored a bit (I used to use this photo in presentations). Photo was taken on April 26, 1884 at Garnett, Kansas; talk about frightening.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-09 11:31 AM by copernicus.

Attachments:
index.jpg    18.1 KB
index.jpg

dagaffer Tom Raddatz
Western Springs, IL, USA   USA
I don’t disagree that he may have had time to prepare. But we don’t know the circumstances leading up to the photo. Maybe he moved other stuff first and planned to come back but there wasn’t time
Maybe he was ill or hospitalized or Dead
We don’t know.
At the end of the day I’m sure there’s a reason why he didn’t take the cars.
My knucklehead sister rode out a hurricane that hit Florida’s east coast, she had Minimal damage but neighbors lost entire houses
My entire family was pissed off at her
Just proves she was lucky not smart
I’m a retired Fireman, my lieutenant was a smart guy
He had a great saying
“Stupid people die in stupid ways”
I’d say leaving the cars was PROBABLY his best bet

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1975 MG MGB GT Jubilee

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links