AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

2003JAG Avatar
2003JAG Gold Member Chuck Hassler
Monument, CO, USA   USA
1968 MG MGC "Blue Boy"
1980 MG MGB Limited Edition (LE)
Does anyone have the correct cable length from the heater control valve to the heater valve control knob? Checked the archive with no hits.

Chuck

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-06 04:28 PM by 2003JAG.

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
kirks-auto Platinum Member Robert Kirk
Davenport, IA, USA   USA
2 different cables are listed for NA spec LHD, early and late. Early is AHC752 AHC811 is late. I believe the late is 129cm wire, 120cm sheath. I am not sure I answered your question as the cable pull is in the dash running to the valve. Perhaps you mean the fresh air cable BHH679?

Regards,
Robert Kirk

kirkbrit@yahoo.com
E-mail PLEASE for quote/questions/orders

Business phone 563 323 1017

http://kirks-auto.com/
Moss distributor/UK importer
Beat or match most retail/delivered quote

Member Services:
Parts for your classic British and Italian car. 30 years in business.
Yes No Thank
2003JAG Avatar
2003JAG Gold Member Chuck Hassler
Monument, CO, USA   USA
1968 MG MGC "Blue Boy"
1980 MG MGB Limited Edition (LE)
UPDATE MGC heat control cable replacement part solution...posting for the archives. An internet search for this cable assembly with the 58" sheath and 62" wire measurements was unsuccessful. I did find a supplier who said they had cable for "cut to fit".

My C's original heat control cable assembly was corroded and the inner wire would not move inside the sheath while on the car. I removed the cable assembly, pulled out the wire from the sheath with significant effort, and measured the parts. The outer heat control cable casing (sheath) measured 58" long and the inner wire measured 62" long.

Here's an easy cable assembly replacement fix. I bought a 72" Edelbrock Universal Choke Cable, part # 8013, at Advance Auto ($20), made of the exact sheath and wire material as the original MGC heat cable. I cut the choke handle off of the choke cable, pulled the wire out of the sheath, and cut the sheath and wire to the correct lengths. Cutting the cable parts with a Dremel cutting wheel took less than two minutes. After checking the cuts for burrs, I pushed the wire back into the sheath and the job was done...ready for installation at the dash heat knob control and the heater control valve on the head.

The defroster control cable system is next, but that will happen with an engine pull. Tough job with the engine in. The MGE archive paints a detailed picture of how tough it is to replace the defroster cable. Best to rebuild the entire 52-year -old heater assembly as a "might as well". Fortunately, there is still some movement in my C's defroster cable. The aft end of the cable is soaking in BP Blaster now and I'm hoping to achieve a bit more movement. This is a hobby, right?

Chuck

Yes No Thank
. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster