AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

PFT-000 Bruce Ibbotson
Brisbane, Australia   AUS
1968 MG MGC GT "The Truck"
Interesting past trivia from the 60's. Just sometimes the unfortunate clever motorist has a win over the 'Revenue collectors.

Way back in the 60's when Marconi made a large box containing a Radar to monitor road speeds to assist planning roads in the UK the Police discovered that these could be used as large 'Money Boxes'.

Here in Brisbane the Police had a about 10 of these, well before 2 Way or CB Radios, they rolled out a few hundred meters of telephone cable so the Cop behind the Radar could phone the other Cop to pull over drivers and issue them with a Speeding Ticket.

A Radio Amateur decided to take revenge against these 'Money Machines', he made up a Transmitter to operate at the same frequency as the Marconi Radars and made a directional horn antenna mounted behind the grill of his car.

At night he drove around looking for these infernal machines and before passing them pressed the Transmit Button. [these Radars sent a beam across the road at 20 degrees so the car transmitter antenna also at 20 degrees sent a powerful return signal to the Radar unit. The meter went to 80 mph (maximum reading) and stayed there.

The police Radio Branch had a bench full of Radars that no longer worked with blown up input stages causing the meter to read and stay at maximum. I do not believe they ever found out why they kept failing in use.

Just sometimes the motorist has a win.

Bruce.

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
PFT-000 Bruce Ibbotson
Just to add to the trivia from the past:

All good fun for the long time MGC/GT owner.

In the next suburb from where I live, Constable Plod found the perfect spot to hide the Marconi Radar Unit in front of bushes on the footpath.

The owner of the house wandered out early one morning in his pyjamas to collect his newspaper, enraged at this sneaky practice he returned to the house then reapeared and cut the 3 bushes on his footpath off at the base and dragged them into his garden, leaving a big fat Cop sitting like a 'Shag on a Rock".

No more money from outside his house. These Marconi Radars were loathed by motorists at the time just as 'Q' Cars were when the Mini Cooper was used by plain clothes police to goad and then book motorists for exceeding the speed limit. Anything for money.

Yes No Thank
Bearsails Avatar
Bearsails Silver Member Michael Lippmann
Kingsville, Kingsville, Ontario, Canada   CAN
1968 MG MGC GT "Blewe"
1969 MG MGC GT "Uh Oh" (Rusty Red)"
1972 MG MGB "Betty"
1973 MG MGB GT "Trouble"    & more
Ken

That is a great story - would have paid money to see that! smiling smiley

In Ontario, we had speed cameras for about 2 years and there was practically a revolution over it, they are now a thing of the past! But now some municipalities are considering stop light cameras so the slide may be coming again! I always figured that at least with a Police Officer pulling me over - 1 - I could at least make him work for it and come and pull me over or 2 - Talk my way out of a ticket!

Mike

Yes No Thank
Ken Plumstead Avatar
Smithers, BC, Canada   CAN
1965 MG MGB
1968 MG MGC GT
Michael,

Same story here in B.C. Speed cameras for awhile then they went away. Now the NDP gov't is talking about stop light cameras. They keep saying it's about safety but if that was the case the solution would be education not a cash grab.

When I was younger and got stopped more I used to leave my dress uniform cap in the rear window of my car. That got me a few 'warnings' instead of a ticket.

Ken

MG: Transforming gasoline into Fun!!!

Yes No Thank
PFT-000 Bruce Ibbotson
Mike,

We poor 'Bastards, in 'Nanny Australia' have traffic light combined speed and red light cameras, put you foot down to beat the Yellow and get a Speeding Ticket get the timing wrong and get a dual prize. Wonderful, no staff required.

The latest trick is 'Speed Averaging' cameras where your speed is averaged over 15 or 30 Km, a great little money earner on our major highways.

In Victoria the government has let a contract to Macquarrie Bank to operate speed cameras and hide them at the bottom of hills or anywhere where they can make a dollar. Victoria grabbed 1 Billion dollars from Victorian motorists last year.
We will have to improve our game up here, Queensland only made 500 Million from the poor bloody motorist.

Bruce.

Yes No Thank
PFT-000 Bruce Ibbotson
Ken,

That will not work here with automated cameras which book everyone including Police.

Bruce.

Yes No Thank
PETE W Sussex Peter H
Ansty, West Sussex, UK   GBR
You lot in Canada are v lucky! Here in the UK we have cameras everywhere including at traffic lights and average speed cameras seem to be pretty much the norm on motorways now - that means over miles and miles, not just a few hundred yards.

They are now trialling a long range camera that can get you from a kilometre away - it can identify* who is driving the car through a high res picture and can tell if the driver is wearing a seat belt too.

*we get 3 points on our licence for speeding and they last for 3/4 years. When you get to 12 you are automatically banned from driving for a period. It has been common practice for drivers who are getting close to 12 to claim it was their spouse who was driving and they then get the points - share them round the family. The new cameras will put a stop to that.

Personally, I would be happy if they used the new cameras to catch the idiots who spend their time reading and sending text messages on their mobile phones instead of concentrating on driving.

Rant over.

Yes No Thank
chormy Avatar
chormy Gold Member Shaun Holmes
Norwich, Norfolk, UK   GBR
1963 MG MGB MkI "3330 PE"
1964 MG MGB MkI
1967 MG MGB GT "BABE"
1967 MG MGC    & more
We have all of the above , the sneaky ones are the worst but then most oncoming cars will flash or thumbs down for warning, again Illegal to do so !! some good people park there lorries/cars infront of them.
The average speed units are a bit of a pain but then I don't normally speed , the van is limited to 70 , the Range Rover economy is achieved at 50 if I have to satisfy my thirst for fast then its a track day or race.
If you need to test then have a spotter and phones on (hands free off course) devil smiley

On the smart motorways we have gantries with camera's on if your sat nav does not tell you then you can spot the ones which have them by looking for the mounts underneath.
Some large signs also have them fitted.

The old radar / IR detectors don't work too good nowadays as every where there a small radar /IR units for crossings and parking lots. Jammers illegal but don't really work 100%

It seems you have a lot more of these around than we do or your just blinded by all that sunshine.

Member Services:
MGC Racing , Alloy parts and uprated items for the C, Engine rebuilds to full race or EFI. Secondhand parts available. Facebook page "Holmes racing" www.holmesracing.co
Yes No Thank
Noble66 Avatar
Noble66 Gold Member Noble Bradford
Orlando, FL, USA   USA
1964 MG MGB "Black Betty"
1969 MG MGC GT
1974 MG MGB "Whitey"
Thank goodness we don’t have speed cameras here!! We do have some red light cameras but I don’t mind those. There are quite a few people that treat red lights as a suggestion.

There’s a law in Florida (I don’t know if it’s federal) that a sworn police officer has to issue a ticket. So the red light camera flags violations and an officer reviews it and decides whether it’s a violation.

As for people flashing their lights to inform oncoming traffic that there’s a traffic stop ahead, you can’t be ticketed for it here. That went all the way to the US Supreme Court and it was ruled as “free speech” and is therefore protected by the First Amendment.

Yes No Thank
Ken Plumstead Avatar
Smithers, BC, Canada   CAN
1965 MG MGB
1968 MG MGC GT
In reply to # 3903610 by PETE W Sussex
You lot in Canada are v lucky! Here in the UK we have cameras everywhere including at traffic lights and average speed cameras seem to be pretty much the norm on motorways now - that means over miles and miles, not just a few hundred yards.

Personally, I would be happy if they used the new cameras to catch the idiots who spend their time reading and sending text messages on their mobile phones instead of concentrating on driving.

Rant over.

Pete,

The distances here are the reason for our 'luck'. It's a long way from place to place and it would take an astronomical number of cameras to cover the distances. That and the police here actually use common sense. They will generally allow 10 over the posted speed limit and on controlled access highways maybe a bit more. You can actually get a ticket in B.C. for obstructing traffic flow when driving at the speed limit if the police notices you are blocking the fast lane causing others to past on the right.

I totally agree on the real danger, distracted driving. The gov't here has woken up to that fact and is starting to try and do something about it.

Ken

MG: Transforming gasoline into Fun!!!

Yes No Thank
PFT-000 Bruce Ibbotson
Ken,

What good fortune that when the relatively low cost MGC & GT were released that the technology for making money out of motorists did not exist as it does today.

In it's day the C-GT could cruise along with all the cars that could happily cruise for hours at 100+ mph as there were so few of them on our roads. Jaguar E Types some Mercedes and a few others happily cruised well over speed limits but the majority of normal cars in those days were pushing it to hold 70 mph for very long periods, even the humble non OD MGB was ahead of the pack in those days.

All a distant memory now but those of us who had a 'C' from release enjoyed what it could do so easily, cruise effortlessly and (fan excepted) quietly all day where traffic and highways permitted.

Sadly just short slow trips occasionally now. I take my car out once a fortnight just to keep it happy unless we go on a Mid-Week run with our MGCC's.

Gee it is good to be a "Bloody OLD Fart" now, spirited driving has finished on public roads forever, thanks to technology, just buy an SUV and play with the in car electronics when not on the phone, hardly a need for a windscreen the way some of these Clowns drive all over the road looking at everything except what is going on ahead of their SUV's.

Bruce.

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster