Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

JMA Avatar
JMA Silver Member John Anderson
Donvale, Victoria, Australia   AUS
Has anyone had any experience with the current range of 7/8" front sway bars from Moss?

Fitting one to a car with the ball joint front end and the ARB link rods and the whole thing is very close to the damper and actually hits it when you bring the ride height up to normal. It appears that the bar is too long.

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member

Attachments:
P2010161.JPG    41.6 KB
P2010161.JPG

P2010165.JPG    45.8 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
tahoe36c Avatar
tahoe36c Paul Hruza
Panama City, FL, USA   USA
1969 MG MGC GT "Little Red Rocket..."
1972 MG MGB GT "Tiny Dancer"
2002 Harley-Davidson Dyna
John,

That's a strange one... It's almost as if your upper mounting points are to far aft. Which doesn't make a bit of sense either! Something in the geometry is off... I can't see them offering it if it does not align properly though.

Wish I had some good news for ya!

Yes No Thank
JMA Avatar
In reply to # 3884463 by tahoe36c John,

That's a strange one... It's almost as if your upper mounting points are to far aft.

Initially I thought the same thing as the sway bar mounts were beefed up for the thicker bar, but my car is at the same place and I compared the measurements and found them the same so I can't place blame at Scott's feet.

Today when I lay my original bar over my 7/8" bar you can see there is a diiference in shape, when the bar is compared at the mounting points the end of the new bar is 10mm longer on one side, 15mm on the other.

This probably isn't enough for such a desparity but it certainly doesn't help. I'll forward my photo's to Peter at Moss Europe on Monday for his reference and see what happens from there.

Attachments:
IMG_0341.JPG    41 KB
IMG_0341.JPG

IMG_0339.JPG    46.5 KB
IMG_0340.JPG    45.6 KB
Yes No Thank
chormy Avatar
chormy Gold Member Shaun Holmes
Norwich, Norfolk, UK   GBR
1963 MG MGB MkI "3330 PE"
1964 MG MGB MkI
1967 MG MGB GT "BABE"
1967 MG MGC    & more
John , has your roll bar mounts been welded at anytime bringing them aft . It would be unusual but ! also have you put the new bar up against the old one.

Member Services:
MGC Racing , Alloy parts and uprated items for the C, Engine rebuilds to full race or EFI. Secondhand parts available. Facebook page "Holmes racing" www.holmesracing.co
Yes No Thank
JMA Avatar
There's another point I neglected to mention.

This car was fitted with a 7/8" bar before it came in for the current work, the only reason it was replaced is that at some point the end of that bar had broken off and had been welded back on. The owner didn't like that and wanted it replaced.

Yes No Thank
chormy Avatar
1964 MG MGB MkI
1967 MG MGB GT "BABE"
1967 MG MGC    & more
John

All ours are close but not touching. Our Dampers are wider than Normal as well. I don't use those type of drop links for the race car I make the adjustable ones.

Member Services:
MGC Racing , Alloy parts and uprated items for the C, Engine rebuilds to full race or EFI. Secondhand parts available. Facebook page "Holmes racing" www.holmesracing.co

Attachments:
Drop link on connors.jpg    50.1 KB
Drop link on connors.jpg

SAMSUNG 5 3235.jpg    39.2 KB
2017-04-10 16.57.52-11.jpeg    35.6 KB
2017-02-15 00.30.02-35.jpeg    60.4 KB
Yes No Thank
kirks-auto Platinum Member Robert Kirk
Davenport, IA, USA   USA
John
I am a bit confused, nothing unusual about that but in your second post pic #1 the old bar looks thicker than the new and has what looks like the proper center dip the new bar lacks???

The MGB front bar is essentially horizontal while the MGC front unit dips down in the middle. Complicating the issue is what may have been done to alter when fitting the repaired bar but my attention is mostly drawn to the diameter (circumference) of the two bars shown.

Regards,
Robert Kirk

kirkbrit@yahoo.com
E-mail PLEASE for quote/questions/orders

Business phone 563 323 1017

http://kirks-auto.com/
Moss distributor/UK importer
Beat or match most retail/delivered quote

Member Services:
Parts for your classic British and Italian car. 30 years in business.
Yes No Thank
JMA Avatar
In reply to # 3884816 by kirks-auto John
I am a bit confused, nothing unusual about that but in your second post pic #1 the old bar looks thicker than the new and has what looks like the proper center dip the new bar lacks???

It was probably me getting too close to the subject giving it an optical illusion in regards to the size between old and new.

I've taken another photo that better shows the difference in diameter and that both bars have the dip. I suppose I have answered my own question and this thread has become an example of buyer beware with this diamter of bar.

Attachments:
IMG_0343.JPG    40.5 KB
IMG_0343.JPG

Yes No Thank
chormy Avatar
1964 MG MGB MkI
1967 MG MGB GT "BABE"
1967 MG MGC    & more
Be aware of the extra strain on the old rusty chassis , its quiet thin and the new bar will test those poor old captive nuts. we have made and welded a u channel to strengthen.

Member Services:

Attachments:
17191125_1225653674200482_6068791971771662499_n.jpg    16.6 KB
17191125_1225653674200482_6068791971771662499_n.jpg

20161231_150958.jpg    39.9 KB
20161231_151021.jpg    38.5 KB
Yes No Thank
kirks-auto Platinum Member Robert Kirk
Davenport, IA, USA   USA
FWIW, Ive sold many Addco front and some rear bars for the MGC with no complaints at all except when I unintentionally sent MGB front bars by mistake. I suspect Moss UK is having these made in Asia and all that implies.

Regards,
Robert Kirk

kirkbrit@yahoo.com
E-mail PLEASE for quote/questions/orders

Business phone 563 323 1017

http://kirks-auto.com/
Moss distributor/UK importer
Beat or match most retail/delivered quote

Member Services:
Parts for your classic British and Italian car. 30 years in business.
Yes No Thank
PFT-000 Bruce Ibbotson
Brisbane, Australia   AUS
1968 MG MGC GT "The Truck"
John,

I agree with Shaun's idea of making up and fitting the strengthening channel section to the chassis.

Somewhere on the Forum is a photo showing what I had to do after finding cracking around the 5/16 UNF chassis nuts in my car.
I made up a mild steel plates, .080" thick from memory, to transfer the load to the edges of the chassis rail and secured it with about 15 aliminium 5/32" pop rivets. Then I carefully tapped out the nuts to take 3/8 UNF bolts.

This was done decades ago and has solved the problem for my car which has good steel with no known rust of these rails [the pink coating is still under the paint] for your car I would make up and fit the channel section which you can weld into position using 3/8 UNF nuts welded to the channel and fit the roll bar using much more substantial washers.

Bruce.

Yes No Thank
JMA Avatar
I remember previous discussions on beefing up this area and I told them down the back to do this as one side of the chassis rail showed evidence of welding up of a crack.

Shaun's post reminded me so I checked the photo collection where they beefed up the mounts, unfortunately it appears it may not be enough when comparing the work done to what Shaun does.

Attachments:
Original plate.JPG    39.9 KB
Original plate.JPG

New plate.JPG    28.1 KB
Yes No Thank
bills Avatar
bills Bill Spohn
W. Vancouver, , BC, Canada   CAN
I used an Addco 7/8" bar on my MGC and had no issues fitting it at all.

Bill Spohn www.rhodo.citymax.com/carstuff.html
Current: 1958 MGA Twincam (race car (170 bhp)),1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe (98 bhp)
1957 Jamaican MGA (200 bhp)1965 1971 Jensen Interceptor (350 bhp)
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe (350 bhp)
2007 BMW Z4M coupe (340 bhp)
Recent: 1969 MGC roadster (175 bhp),Jensen CV8 (375 bhp),
1969 Lamborghini Islero S (350 bhp), 1988 Fiero GT turbo (300 bhp)
North Vancouver BC

Yes No Thank
PFT-000 Bruce Ibbotson
Brisbane, Australia   AUS
Bill,

Fitting the 7/8" bar was not a problem {Ron Hopkinson's 7/8" roll bar for the MGC] the problem occurred after many years use when I started to look for a loud noise from the front, on removing the bar mounts there were radial cracks from the chassis nuts outwards on both sides, worst on the left side. I drilled 1/16" holes ahead of all the cracks then made up the load sharing plates plates and tapped out the chassis nuts to 3/8" UNF. I think Shaun's channel supports wre the best way to go.

After finding the cracking around the roll bar mounting nuts I had a good look at the seat mounting nuts to discover the same radial cracking around the front mounts of the drivers seat [I had been advised that well used MGB's had these cracks] so I attached 30 mm washers top and bottom with pop rivets around these 1/4" UNF nuts after drilling ahead of the cracks. These cars were never expected to last this long, time shows up lots of things in a well used and driven car.

Bruce.
P.S. I found the photo of the roll bar mounting plate in the AC file.

Attachments:
Master Copy of CD Photos JAN 2010 041.jpg    33.6 KB
Master Copy of CD Photos JAN 2010 041.jpg

Yes No Thank
JMA Avatar
Update

After a bit of email to and fro with Pete McGlashan from Moss Europe the 2 bars I have are on their way back to the UK (all their stock is the same as what I have) for a credit and have kindly agreed to cover the freight back. I say 'kindly' because there are quite a few places that won't cover the freight cost.

I'll send my old bar to Moorabbin Springs to see if they can make a 7/8" copy and if that becomes too hard I'll contact RK for a couple of his ADDCO bars.

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster