AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

stonew98 Avatar
stonew98 Gold Member William Stone
Richmond, VA, USA   USA
1959 MG MGA 1500
1968 MG MGC
1973 MG MGB GT "WTF"
Hey guys I’ve been wrestling with this for two weeks… Heat and lots of PB blaster and I can’t budge the washer or the remnants of the old rubber bushing… The metal sleeve and washer are frozen to this part… I’ll keep trying, but wondering if you anyone has one of these or knows where I can get one? I’ve attached the image from the moss catalog (it’s the center part in the pic, top mount bar for the front left suspension...looks like Moss doesn’t offer) and a pic of my current progress, or lack thereof...

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member

Attachments:
2D003DEA-1569-45E6-83A2-FB75D18BFAB6.jpeg    52.6 KB
2D003DEA-1569-45E6-83A2-FB75D18BFAB6.jpeg

D165258E-B886-4135-951E-7994C52AAD42.jpeg    41.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
mgcbrian Brian Hutchison
Hampshire, UK   GBR
1968 MG MGC
1969 MG MGC
1969 MG MGC ~ For Sale ! ~
Hello William. The inner metal sleeve of the rubber bush seizes solid on the arm of the top piviot. Carefully grind away a small surface along the side of the metal bush using a power file for the last bit. If you watch very carefully you will see the colour change . The bush sleeve and bush remnants will then slide off by using water pump pliers. Whatever you do do NOT grind into the arm itself. Hope you can follow this. The top arms are NOT available only the bushes are available in rubber and polly. Rubber don't fit!!

Yes No Thank
SimonOopNorth Simon H
Cheshire, Cheshire, UK   GBR
Hi William, I've just done the same job, about to reassemble. Fortunately, I didn't encounter the same problem as you, but I did need to soak the front suspension components in ATF + acetone over several weeks as pretty much everything else was seized solid. Gentle heat helps draw this potion through the rusted components.
Good luck!

Yes No Thank
kirks-auto Platinum Member Robert Kirk
Davenport, IA, USA   USA
I believe you are using the word washer when you mean bushing. Brian's suggestion is a very good one.. Another is simply set the bush (rubber) afire, and cold chisel the seized bushing. You are less apt to damage the upper inner pivot bracket your picture depicts. If you indeed meant washer neither of the inner nor outer washers appear to be available so use care in removal..

Regards,
Robert Kirk

kirkbrit@yahoo.com
E-mail PLEASE for quote/questions/orders

Business phone 563 323 1017

http://kirks-auto.com/
Moss distributor/UK importer
Beat or match most retail/delivered quote

Member Services:
Parts for your classic British and Italian car. 30 years in business.

Attachments:
washer upper inner MGC.jpg    20.9 KB
washer upper inner MGC.jpg

Yes No Thank
JMA Avatar
JMA Silver Member John Anderson
Donvale, Victoria, Australia   AUS
Like Simon I've also just been through this and wrestled with exactually the same thing on the same part only mine was the right hand side.

After a LOT of heat and a large pair of locking multigrip pliers and it still not moving, I ended up having to cut the bushes steel sleeve carefully and with a cold chisel I managed to get it to rotate enough to break the rusty grip and then I was able to remove the sleeve.

As this was my first MGC suspension pull down, and after this experience I'm in no hurry for another, I initially thought I was missing the inner washer on each side and on both upper arm pivots, exactly as it's shown in the picture. Only after I received the pivots back from being media blasted was I able to see that the washers were still attached.

As the parts were very clean and the washers were still stuck fast, I painted them as is. When the suspension is reassembled each pivot will have 3 zinc plated washers and 1 painted black.

Probably not desirable.

Attachments:
IMG_0346.JPG    38.2 KB
IMG_0346.JPG

Yes No Thank
SimonOopNorth Simon H
Cheshire, Cheshire, UK   GBR
My pivot arm didn't have any inner washers - are they supposed to be the same size as the outers?

Yes No Thank
mgcbrian Brian Hutchison
Hampshire, UK   GBR
1968 MG MGC
1969 MG MGC
1969 MG MGC ~ For Sale ! ~
The inner washer is exactly the same as the outer EXCEPT the hole that faces the centre is slightly bevelled I guess so that it will fit flush against the arm.

Yes No Thank
ga duke Avatar
ga duke Mike Dooley
Newnan, GA, USA   USA
William:

If you can’t get that apart, let me know...I may have one. Also, I think I saw one on ebay recently, but pretty expensive...

Just looked on Sports & Classics website...they’ll let you have one for $725....also pretty expensive...

M

Yes No Thank
kirks-auto Platinum Member Robert Kirk
Davenport, IA, USA   USA
In reply to # 3885327 by ga duke William:

If you can’t get that apart, let me know...I may have one. Also, I think I saw one on ebay recently, but pretty expensive...

Just looked on Sports & Classics website...they’ll let you have one for $725....also pretty expensive...

M

FYI, the unit Mike mentions is the entire upper inner pivot assembly PN#BTB817 , appears NOS and predatorily priced especially when you need 1-4 washers.

Regards,
Robert Kirk

kirkbrit@yahoo.com
E-mail PLEASE for quote/questions/orders

Business phone 563 323 1017

http://kirks-auto.com/
Moss distributor/UK importer
Beat or match most retail/delivered quote

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-03 02:30 PM by kirks-auto.

Member Services:
Parts for your classic British and Italian car. 30 years in business.
Yes No Thank
ga duke Avatar
ga duke Mike Dooley
Newnan, GA, USA   USA
Just the pivot bracket Robert...NOS...

M

Yes No Thank
romeo69 Stephen Curtis
, Berkshire, UK   GBR
Those top arms are susceptible to being bent where the bush fits due to hitting the kerb etc thrown many away as impossible to straighten and being a safety item

In reply to # 3885370 by ga duke Just the pivot bracket Robert...NOS...

M

Yes No Thank
stonew98 Avatar
stonew98 Gold Member William Stone
Richmond, VA, USA   USA
1959 MG MGA 1500
1968 MG MGC
1973 MG MGB GT "WTF"
Thank you Mike I will keep you posted… I think I’m going to take it to my local more precise guy to get it apart… But thanks again.

Yes No Thank
ga duke Avatar
ga duke Mike Dooley
Newnan, GA, USA   USA
Alrighty then....good luck!

M

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster