AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

PFT-000 Bruce Ibbotson
Brisbane, Australia   AUS
1968 MG MGC GT "The Truck"
Seamus,

Those figures from the rear wheels are very impressive. Bill Nicholson said to fit HS8's a wild cam and high CR (his car 11:1), as the way to get the factory car to perform. He used his primarily for competition.

It seems clear that most of the GGL's problems were manifolding and the heavy flywheel. The manifolding and exhaust were built to fit, probably for the Austin 3 Litre which is the reason the engine was made. I do not think any consideration was ever given to gas flow [if they knew what that was at that time] just build it like always with their it was "Good Enough for Grand-Pa" thinking.

Daniel Richmond [appointed technical adviser to BMC] of Downton Engineering in a letter to me wrote that as the engine was fitted in the chassis it probably only produced 115 bhp at THE FLYWHEEL. What reached the rear wheels was not known to me.

Bruce.

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
chormy Avatar
chormy Gold Member Shaun Holmes
Norwich, Norfolk, UK   GBR
1963 MG MGB MkI "3330 PE"
1964 MG MGB MkI
1967 MG MGB GT "BABE"
1967 MG MGC    & more
We did a quick run one day with two cars one very standard with alloy head fitted and a standard new engine with manifold exhaust only

the Alloy head Made 147 ish and the standard 120 ish so yes very low.

The green C will make 300+ yellow C 270 so room for improvement both these cars have very different Cams

Member Services:
MGC Racing , Alloy parts and uprated items for the C, Engine rebuilds to full race or EFI. Secondhand parts available. Facebook page "Holmes racing" www.holmesracing.co
Yes No Thank
SimonOopNorth Simon H
Cheshire, Cheshire, UK   GBR
Recent figures for mine with an original engine, no mods, and after nursing it back to health last year after a long lay up are:
Max 107 hp
Engine 123 hp
Max torque 169 ft lbs
Not great but not as bad as they could have been.

Yes No Thank
PFT-000 Bruce Ibbotson
Simon,

Those figures look correct based on what Downton supplied to me for the factory engine.

Bruce.

Yes No Thank
SimonOopNorth Simon H
Thanks Bruce, I'm just surprised about the results in a positive way given that I was dealing with really poor compression figures when I first started work on the car last year. Gives me confidence to concentrate on other parts of the restoration and return to the engine at a later date.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-27 01:19 PM by SimonOopNorth.

Yes No Thank
PFT-000 Bruce Ibbotson
Simon,

Downton did nothing to the engine except improve the head, modify or fit better manifolding and a dual exhaust system in Stage 2 & 3 to get 149 bhp with Stage 2 retaining the inlet manifold (improved a bit) and the factory SU's or with the the 3 SU's to get 174.46 bhp at the flywheel. This is expensive to do today as it was back in the 60's (about 20% of the base price of my car for Stage 3) so maybe stick with the inefficient factory engine.

Downton never dismantled the engine so the flywheel & cam were as delivered from Abingdon. All Downton's work on the BMC range of cars was about improving power & economy with better gas flow through the head & manifolds and exhaust system.
Maniflow started with ex Downton employees after Downton closed down.

The MGC engine was never designed??? for the MGC it was for the Unfortunate Austin 3 Litre as the old 4 bearing engine (as used in the Healey 3000) was considered too rough for an upmarket Saloon. Abingdon just got stuck with this inefficient lump as there was nothing else in the BMC engine line up apart from the revised C Series engine.Morris Engines Branch never produced a powerful 3 Litre six in their history, cheap as possible with lots of cast iron was the way to go with them.

The Datsun 240Z came out just after the MGC and that effectively killed off the car in International sales, particularly in the main market the USA.

So ends a little bit of history. I may as well post it as I am now 82, my knowledge will depart with me.

Bruce.

Yes No Thank
HatchTime Avatar
HatchTime Shaan P
Toronto, ON, Canada   CAN
1968 MG MGC "Scarlet"
1970 MG MGB
My C is finally done! After about 8 months of work, I finally picked her up a few weeks ago.

It's amazing what you find under the fenders and behind the sills once you start the project. The metal work included new front Fenders, replacement inner right front fender (from an MGC donor car), new sills (inner and outer), new floors, new lower rear fenders, new inner rear fenders baffles and more! I also redid the interior - carpet set, panels and leather seat covers (with new foams and backings). Tons of other bits and pieces were also put on - trim pieces, gaskets, badges, etc. etc.

I'm quite happy with the finished product. Of course there will always be something that needs to be done on "the list"

Cheers,
Shaan

Attachments:
IMG_20180901_1420461.jpg    62.5 KB
IMG_20180901_1420461.jpg

IMG_20180914_1347031.jpg    47.7 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMG_20180930_1540394.jpg    67.4 KB
Yes No Thank
PETE W Sussex Peter H
Ansty, West Sussex, UK   GBR
Well done! Looks great.

‘Amazing what you find......’ I know exactly what you mean - been there, done that!

Yes No Thank
seamus54 Avatar
seamus54 Seamus Doyle
Northampton, NORTHAMPTONSHIRE, UK   GBR
1968 Lotus Elan
1968 MG MGC
1978 Lola Race Car "Now SOLD!"
2014 MG MG6
Celebrity road trip broadcast on the BBC yesterday featuring a TR4A and an MGC.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0bvgd8q/celebrity-antiques-road-trip-series-8-episode-13

The BBC iPLAYER recordings are only available for 4 weeks before deletion.

Yes No Thank
seamus54 Avatar
seamus54 Seamus Doyle
1968 Lotus Elan
1968 MG MGC
2014 MG MG6
Testing out my new reversing device............

Attachments:
DSC_0300.JPG    39.5 KB
DSC_0300.JPG

DSC_0301.JPG    47.8 KB
DSC_0302.JPG    55.4 KB
Yes No Thank
clevis Avatar
clevis D C
Silverstone, Northants, UK   GBR
1968 MG MGC GT "Nicholson CGT"
Hello Seamus,

As your dog seems to be the same breed as the one on the TV Flash advert singing Queen's Flash Gordon I assume your dog can sing another Queen song - Don't Stop Me Now!

Best,
Clevis.
(Silverstone)

David Cleverdon.
"Clevis".

"Time is of the essence, and I am fast running out of essence" - Graham Hill

"Ya can't fix stupid" - Ron White

Yes No Thank
seamus54 Avatar
seamus54 Seamus Doyle
1968 Lotus Elan
1968 MG MGC
2014 MG MG6
In reply to # 3888587 by clevis Hello Seamus,

As your dog seems to be the same breed as the one on the TV Flash advert singing Queen's Flash Gordon I assume your dog can sing another Queen song - Don't Stop Me Now!

Best,
Clevis.
(Silverstone)

How about "You're My Best Friend"

Attachments:
DSC_0305.JPG    51.1 KB
DSC_0305.JPG

Yes No Thank
PETE W Sussex Peter H
Ansty, West Sussex, UK   GBR
As long as it’s not ‘Another one bites the dust’, after you’ve reversed into the lamp postgrinning smiley

Yes No Thank
SimonOopNorth Simon H
Looks more like a woofer speaker to me

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster