It was a Blast!

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

PETE W Sussex Peter H
Ansty, West Sussex, UK   GBR
I was always told that time spent planning is never wasted (and I still forget this too often!). Your car has waited c50 years for this job so it can wait a bit longer to get it perfect!

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
Ken Plumstead Avatar
Smithers, BC, Canada   CAN
1965 MG MGB
1968 MG MGC GT
Good point.

Ken

MG: Transforming gasoline into Fun!!!

Yes No Thank
7mg2 Avatar
7mg2 Andrew Hardie
Calgary, AB, Canada   CAN
1969 MG MGC GT "Mr "C"
1972 MG Midget MkIII
I'd completely plumb it and wire it before the lump goes back in Ken

Andy

NAMGBR# 20-7738

Yes No Thank
moesignguy Steve Moore
Galena, OH, USA   USA
1963 Triumph TR4 "4"
1968 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Spit"
1969 MG MGC GT "Da C"
2005 Mini Cooper S "LARG MARG"
Hey Ken,
Andy nails it.
No question, brake, fuel and wiring all in B4 drive train. Put front suspension in and rear end as both have piping involved.
MOE

Yes No Thank
Ken Plumstead Avatar
1965 MG MGB
1968 MG MGC GT
Thanks guys.

Job one is to get it back on it's wheels. The new rear anti-sway bar is in. I had the metal basher at the body shop reinforce the forward truck/boot wall mounting points for the sway bar brackets and I've just finished fabricating some stronger forward attachment plates to mount on the springs for it (sorry no pics yet I'm on the road right now.). As soon as I get the plates painted then the rear axle can go in and then the front suspension is next.

I had a bit of a struggle (hours) trying to get the poly bushings into the forward spring eyes but once I got one in I had the formula. The second one went in in about five minutes.

Then I can start on the wiring and plumbing. Brakes, fuel, etc.

Ken

Attachments:
IMG_0732.jpg    34.9 KB
IMG_0732.jpg

Yes No Thank
m.s.macrae Murray MacRae
Wellington, Wellington, New Zealand   NZL
1968 MG MGC
1994 Subaru Impreza WRX
2000 Subaru Outback "A Bit Of A Dog"
2008 Mazda 6
Ken you are my current motivator being at a similar stage!
Murray

Yes No Thank
Ken Plumstead Avatar
1965 MG MGB
1968 MG MGC GT
Murray,

There seems to be about half a dozen of us all in the middle of a rebuild. There should be a big batch of of brand new MGCs on the road shortly.

Ken

Yes No Thank
Ken Plumstead Avatar
1965 MG MGB
1968 MG MGC GT
Hi All,

The rear axle went in today. I hadn’t actually planned to do much today but before I knew it I was wrestling the rear springs into their mounts and then continued with the rest of the rear axle.

Unfortunately I didn’t stop to take pics of the sway bar attachment plates I fabricated before they got assembled along with the rest of the parts. You can see one in the last pic. They are ¼” steel plates that are taking the place of the original top piece. There is no way that the sway bar will be able to break that attachment point off.

Before anyone says something about the damper attachment plates, I know they are upside down. My Armstrong dampers were giving me grief. I thought about my options and figured rebuilding or replacing the Armstrongs would be more expensive and take longer than just ordering up a Gaz rear shock conversion kit. I always wanted to try out shocks on the rear anyway.

Talk about timing, the courier just delivered the Gaz kit as I was typing. Guess what I’m doing tomorrow?

Ken

Attachments:
IMG_0765.jpg    41.5 KB
IMG_0765.jpg

IMG_0764.jpg    58.7 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMG_0768.jpg    51.5 KB
Yes No Thank
JMA Avatar
JMA Silver Member John Anderson
Donvale, Victoria, Australia   AUS
Ken,

You have the plates mounted correctly for the Gaz conversion kit. In fact that kit was the easiest and most straight forward aftermarket kit I've ever fitted as everything actually worked as it should.

My memory may be failing here but I think the correct damper adjustment is 4 clicks from the softest setting.

John

Yes No Thank
chormy Avatar
chormy Gold Member Shaun Holmes
Norwich, Norfolk, UK   GBR
1963 MG MGB MkI "3330 PE"
1964 MG MGB MkI
1967 MG MGB GT "BABE"
1967 MG MGC    & more
Have you used the rear anti roll bar before or new addition.

Member Services:
MGC Racing , Alloy parts and uprated items for the C, Engine rebuilds to full race or EFI. Secondhand parts available. Facebook page "Holmes racing" www.holmesracing.co
Yes No Thank
Ken Plumstead Avatar
1965 MG MGB
1968 MG MGC GT
John,

Thanks for the shock absorber setting tip.

Hi Shaun,

The roll bar is a new addition. Any words of wisdom or caution on the installation or use of a rear roll bar?

Ken

Yes No Thank
chormy Avatar
chormy Gold Member Shaun Holmes
Norwich, Norfolk, UK   GBR
1963 MG MGB MkI "3330 PE"
1964 MG MGB MkI
1967 MG MGB GT "BABE"
1967 MG MGC    & more
No words of wisdom, I will be interested in your thoughts , for racing only Andy has used them and thrown them away . Not sure on MGB's they may use them more.

Still always worth a try and see what you think.

Member Services:
MGC Racing , Alloy parts and uprated items for the C, Engine rebuilds to full race or EFI. Secondhand parts available. Facebook page "Holmes racing" www.holmesracing.co
Yes No Thank
JMA Avatar
JMA Silver Member John Anderson
Donvale, Victoria, Australia   AUS
Ken,

What size front sway bar are you using?

Bruce has previously mentioned that a 5/8" rear bar was almost mandatory with a 7/8" front bar to balance out the roll stiffness at the front, otherwise there will be too much understeer. He only removed it when he fitted the IRS and with that he claims it didn't need it.

I'll be very interested how you go as I'd like to do the same thing with my car, but I have a different set of issues and not sure I'll be able to squeeze it in with the panhard rod that is proving difficult to fit.

Yes No Thank
Ken Plumstead Avatar
1965 MG MGB
1968 MG MGC GT
Hi John,

I got the Addco anti-sway bars. ⅞" front bar and ¾" rear bar. A ⅝" bar was not an option.

I'm still on the fence about the panhard rod. When I was driving my car home from the east coast I was getting some tire rub in left turns. Mind you the car was at max. weight, i.e. loaded to roof. I'm going to wait and see how the car drives after the rebuild before I add any more gear to it.

Ken

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-28 09:10 PM by Ken Plumstead.

Yes No Thank
Ken Plumstead Avatar
1965 MG MGB
1968 MG MGC GT
I had a few minutes today to throw those Gaz shock absorbers on. I had an issue with the grade 5 hardware though.

When I was tightening up the bottom bolt on the first shock it just kept tightening and tightening and the spacer was disappearing into the bushing. Something was not kosher. I pulled it apart and the Grade 5 washer came off dished and the steel tube inside the shock mount bushing was squeezed onto the bolt where it was up against the washer squashed it.

Obviously the hardware was not up to the job. After a bit of brute force to open up the steel tube and re-centering it in the bushing I got out the Grade 8 hardware and that did the trick. Everything went together the way it was supposed to after that.

Ken

Attachments:
IMG_0770.jpg    51.6 KB
IMG_0770.jpg

IMG_0774.jpg    42.9 KB
Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster