AutoShrine Sponsor

It was a Blast!
  This topic is about my 1968 MG MGC GT
Ken Plumstead Avatar
Smithers, BC, Canada   CAN
1965 MG MGB
1968 MG MGC GT
Finally progress at the bodyshop.

I stopped by the bodyshop today to talk to my 'C' and low and behold, it wasn't green anymore. The sand blaster guy had been in this week and stripped my car. I must say I am very happy. It looks spectacular. You can see where the rear quarter panels have been replaced and the sills on both side have been replaced but other than that it's all MG metal.

Dave, the bodyshop owner, says I'm to show up at 8 AM on Monday to start on the clean up so he can paint it. Looks like I've got a new job for a few days.

Ken

MG: Transforming gasoline into Fun!!!

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member

Attachments:
IMG_0451.jpg    48.1 KB
IMG_0451.jpg

IMG_0452.jpg    45.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMG_0453.jpg    45.4 KB
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
Ken Plumstead Avatar
1965 MG MGB
1968 MG MGC GT
A couple more.

Attachments:
IMG_0486.jpg    44.2 KB
IMG_0486.jpg

IMG_0490.jpg    45.7 KB
IMG_0480.jpg    48.6 KB
Yes No Thank
Ken Plumstead Avatar
1965 MG MGB
1968 MG MGC GT
Just a few more.

(Actually I took about a hundred pictures of everything, from every angle)

Ken

Attachments:
IMG_0469.jpg    34.5 KB
IMG_0469.jpg

IMG_0456.jpg    33 KB
IMG_0492.jpg    48.1 KB
Yes No Thank
Ken Plumstead Avatar
1965 MG MGB
1968 MG MGC GT
Bruce,

You were asking about the inside of my roof. It's OK, fortunately.

Ken

Attachments:
IMG_0510.jpg    32 KB
IMG_0510.jpg

Yes No Thank
ron neal Avatar
Coastal, SC, USA   USA
1962 MG MGA MkII
1968 MG MGC
1969 MG MGC
1969 MG MGC GT    & more
Ken
Nice body shell and cleaning the blast residue will be fun. It took me a couple of days and rotated the body many times. Shop vac, leaf blower, foxtails, soap and water.
Ron

Yes No Thank
JMA Avatar
JMA Silver Member John Anderson
Donvale, Victoria, Australia   AUS
Very nice Ken.

At least you now know you have a solid car and the paint wasn't hiding any horrors.

Yes No Thank
moesignguy Steve Moore
Galena, OH, USA   USA
1963 Triumph TR4 "4"
1968 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Spit"
1969 MG MGC GT "Da C"
2005 Mini Cooper S "LARG MARG"
Looks good Ken. Can I suggest you use this, "3M Fast 'n Firm Seam Sealer Tan/Beige 08505" on ALL of the panel seams and joints.
I did on all three of my restorations and glad I did. We're also going to use it to seal the 34 year old steel tool boxes we are rebuilding on our sign installation crane truck.
Steve

Yes No Thank
Ken Plumstead Avatar
1965 MG MGB
1968 MG MGC GT
Good tip Steve. Thanks.

I copied the seam sealer pics from the Heritage website as a guide.

Ken

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-30 08:44 PM by Ken Plumstead.

Yes No Thank
John Hamilton Avatar
Gulf Breeze, FL, USA   USA
1963 Austin-Healey Sprite
1965 MG MGB "The Great Pumpkin"
1968 MG MGB GT "Buck"
1970 MG MGB "Dad's Car"
Like was mentioned above, rotate, rotate, rotate. The sand will come out foreversad smiley

If I can't be fast, I'll just be obnoxious!

Yes No Thank
PETE W Sussex Peter H
Ansty, West Sussex, UK   GBR
Christmas has come early Ken - that shell looks amazing!

Yes No Thank
Ken Plumstead Avatar
1965 MG MGB
1968 MG MGC GT
I'm hoping for an even better Christmas present, a painted body shell in my garage.

Ken

Yes No Thank
pfg49 Gold Member Peter Gascoigne
Southampton, UK   GBR
We used to shotblast our racing cars when we built them, but it's just a pain in the a**e getting all the blast media out afterwards. It doesn't matter how much you try, the first few races left you with a small sandpit somewhere!

Then we discovered dipping. Strip the car, send it off, and the process takes everything off, and I mean everything. Paint, rust, underseal, glue, filler, the lot, and if you've left a bit of aluminium on the shell by mistake, it'll have that as well. It also gets inside the box section which blasting cannot do. Rescue whats left of your shell, repair it, send it back for a quick second dip, then on to have the shell dipped in an Zinc Phosphate solution for future protection, and you have a fantastic shell that isn't going rust in the near future. Why would yo do it any other way? I suppose cost might come into the equation, especially if you are doing the job yourself, but if you're having it done professionally I can't imagine that there is much in it.

https://www.surfaceprocessing.co.uk/classic-vehicle-solutions/

Member Services:
We have been in business for 20 years, and hold seven auctions a year at Sandown Park Racecourse, Esher. We cater for all kinds of Classics and Sports Cars, and our Commissions are very competitive. Please go to our website for further details.
Yes No Thank
Ken Plumstead Avatar
1965 MG MGB
1968 MG MGC GT
Good idea Peter.

I would truly love to do that BUT the nearest dipper is in Vancouver. That's 800 miles away. That's more than twice as far as Edinburgh to London to put it perspective.

That would be a two day drive (I'm not as young as I used to be) each way, hotels, meals, gas, etc. Of course, my wife would want to take advantage of a trip to the big city so you would have to add on shopping costs. As you can see the cost of the dipping and painting is quickly overshadowed by the travel costs and the total becomes very scary.

Blasting is not the best solution but is the best one that I have access to. It just means a bit more work for me. Fortunately, the bodyshop wants me to do the clean up grunt work. My time is free, their time is expensive. It's the price one has to pay for living in Salmon and Steelhead paradise I suppose.

Ken

Yes No Thank
pfg49 Gold Member Peter Gascoigne
Southampton, UK   GBR
I thought 800 miles was sort of next door in Canadian terms! We used to take our cars 160 miles up the road to Dudley in the West Midland, and I can assure my wife wouldn't want to go shopping there, so that was one expense less.

Member Services:
We have been in business for 20 years, and hold seven auctions a year at Sandown Park Racecourse, Esher. We cater for all kinds of Classics and Sports Cars, and our Commissions are very competitive. Please go to our website for further details.
Yes No Thank
ron neal Avatar
Coastal, SC, USA   USA
1962 MG MGA MkII
1968 MG MGC
1969 MG MGC
1969 MG MGC GT    & more
Ken
When cleaning my body shell I looked at dustless blasting, soda blasting. sandblasting and dipping. Dipping was twice the price of blasting when I figured in transporting it upstate and then returning a few days later to pick up making it 800 miles for my truck and trailer.
Sandblasting seemed a bit too aggressive on some panels and he wanted $2500. Soda blasting was one way I thought woud make clean up easier but again transportation time and costs made it less desirable. So I opted for dustless blasting and he came to my house and spend about 8 hours cleaning the shell, front fenders, doors, boot lid, just a little around the bonnet edges due to its propensity to warp, splash panels, front valence and assorted other bits. He cleaned up and left in late afternoon for a total of $1400.
After cleaning, cleaning and cleaning I etch primed the shell and parts myself. Those materials were about $500 and then I did the underside with a spray on truck bed liner tinted BRG. So total cost (including additional miscellanous costs) before it went to the painter was probably around $2400. Then the painter gave me another $$$ reality check.eye popping smiley
Ron

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-03 07:32 AM by ron neal.

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster