AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

JMA Avatar
JMA Silver Member John Anderson
Donvale, Victoria, Australia   AUS
In reply to # 3900441 by Ken Plumstead Hi John,

I got the Addco anti-sway bars. ⅞" front bar and ¾" rear bar. A ⅝" bar was not an option.

I'm still on the fence about the panhard rod. When I was driving my car home from the east coast I was getting some tire rub in left turns. Mind you the car was at max. weight, i.e. loaded to roof. I'm going to wait and see how the car drives after the rebuild before I add any more gear to it.

Ken

I had left tyre rub with my old springs but they had collapsed and with two overweight middle aged men in the form of my brother and I there was almost permanent tyre rub. I replaced the springs with parabolics and fitted the Gaz dampers, unlike most I left the rubber bushes installed so this is why the panhard rod. I also have some Moss anti tramp rods but I don't like the way the front bracket mounts onto the car so I'll do some modifications there to be more Caltrac than Moss.

My 7/8" front bar is still work in progress as I'm waiting for Ryan at work to fit my old 5/8" front bar to another Ken's MGC that has the same ball joint, larger torsion bar set up my car is about to have, if that fits okay then I'll send that off to a local spring works and have two 22mm bars made up.

I'm beginning to wonder if we need to go as large as 7/8", the other Ken's MGC has an all alloy 4.4 litre DMD engine going in that is mounted 6" closer to the firewall, and I've already managed to remove about 24kg off my engine just with the alloy head and flywheel.

This is why I'm curious.

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
PETE W Sussex Peter H
Ansty, West Sussex, UK   GBR
You’ve got me worrying about my Gaz shockers now Ken! I didn’t have that trouble when I fitted mine but I can’t remember how tight I tried to wind up those bottom bolts. All I remember is a bit of trouble with fouling the exhaust.

I agree with John on the settings but based on my experience with my Caterham you might find the addition of the rear roll bar makes a difference on the shock settings. The Caterham is very different though. Like Jon I am going to interested how you go with this as I am still not happy with how the rear on mine behaves.

One different question if I may. What is your plan/thinking on underbody protection? I sort of assume that in deepest Canada you would worry about salt etc and might be thinking of doing something - with your meticulous planning, what and when does this go on? I am in the middle of patching up an old Mini and decided to do all the rustproofing whilst I had a bare shell with no subframes or plumbing etc so the topic is front of mind at the moment and I have obviously noticed you are not taking that route with the C.

Yes No Thank
Ken Plumstead Avatar
Smithers, BC, Canada   CAN
1965 MG MGB
1968 MG MGC GT
Pete,

Gaz shocks:

From my installation experience yesterday I would ask, when you tightened up the bottom nyloc nuts did they stop tight against the washer and the shock or did they continue to pull the spacer into the bushing on the other side? Or, have a look at how much thread is showing through the nyloc nuts. The end of the nut should be just barely past the end of the bolt. If there is a lot of thread showing then it probably pulled through, squashing the tube inside the bushing.

Undercoating:

The road maintenance people don't use salt anymore so no worries about that. They don't try to clear the roads down to the pavement in the winter here. We drive on a layer hard packed snow most of the time. To prevent slipping and sliding around they put down sand and gravel all winter for traction so, the nice cars stay in their garages until the street sweepers have cleaned all the gravel and rocks off the roads in the spring. All that is a round about way of saying that I am not going to be putting undercoating under the car.

Ken

MG: Transforming gasoline into Fun!!!

Yes No Thank
JMA Avatar
Ken,

You made mention of your plan to use a green interior with your new green exterior on a previous post, I was doing a half day at work this morning pulling my engine down and found this Healey for your reference.

Attachments:
IMG_0363.JPG    36.8 KB
IMG_0363.JPG

Yes No Thank
Ken Plumstead Avatar
1965 MG MGB
1968 MG MGC GT
Determining colours on a computer screen is not perfect but that looks pretty much like the leather I picked for my interior.

Ken

Yes No Thank
PETE W Sussex Peter H
Thanks Ken.

I looked at my Gaz shocks yesterday and the threads on the bolt are indeed barely beyond the nyloc. It reminded me that when I put them on I did wonder whether there was going to be enough thread to get to the nyloc.

Understood on the underbody protection. I wish we had the same policy here on treating the roads but I can imagine it would create complete carnage at the infrequent times we actually have snow (well, at least where I live in the south)! But I bet your body shops do a good tradewinking smiley

Yes No Thank
Ken Plumstead Avatar
1965 MG MGB
1968 MG MGC GT
After many days of chores and errands it was time to get wrenching again.

Waiting for new brake shoes so I decided to move on to the front suspension. Those recalcitrant poly bushings got the chop first thing this morning and re-assembly commenced forthwith. Everything went together as advertised and before I knew it I was ready to start on the torsion bars. I figured setting up the angle on the lower suspension arms was going to be fiddly and it was almost supper time so I'll leave that until tomorrow.

ken

Attachments:
IMG_0791.jpg    37.6 KB
IMG_0791.jpg

Yes No Thank
Ken Plumstead Avatar
1965 MG MGB
1968 MG MGC GT
Well, the torsion bars went in pretty easily. It sure makes it a lot easier with the four post lift.

I was right about the set up being fiddly. Once I got all the wood blocks and shims I needed to get that 6 ½" position sorted it went easily.

Now I just have to put the rest of the suspension bits on, the hub, shock absorber, anti-sway bar, etc.

Ken

Attachments:
IMG_0798.jpg    58.1 KB
IMG_0798.jpg

IMG_0792.jpg    47.7 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMG_0795.jpg    56.9 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Yes No Thank
PETE W Sussex Peter H
Looking good Ken!

Yes No Thank
JMA Avatar
Excellent stuffsmiling smiley

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster