Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Youtube
Lonwuff Gerald Beach
NAMPA, ID, USA   USA
Probably most already know this but youtube has tons of information and repair videos on mgbs. If your not sure of how to do a repair there will be videos on how to fix it. John Swift of University Motors (now out of business) has about anything you need.

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
+1 Yes No Thank
steve78b Avatar
steve78b Gold Member Stephen Brockwell
Elgin, OK, USA   USA
1978 MG MGB "Lilith"
Yep. Sometimes I get stuck on watching those videos instead of home chores.

Now my up to date phone will cast them to my television so that makes the habit even worse.

Steve B

PO's didn't do anything dumb.
They kept the car running with minimal fixes. THANK YOU!

Yes No Thank
Gerry Avatar
Gerry Gold Member Gerry Masterman
Prairieville, LA, USA   USA
True but some had better be taken as entertainment instead of fact. Follow them at your own risk

Yes No Thank
BFC Avatar
BFC Ben Clark
Allegan, MI, USA   USA
1980 MG MGB "Kilr B"
1980 MG MGB MkIV
Actually, I was surprised at the scarcity of comprehensive MGB videos. Yes, John Twist is awesome, but I am surprised that there aren't more.

For instance, given the number of V8 and V6 conversions, there aren't many videos showing more of the process. LOTS of short "after" videos of the finished product, but not many "before" or "during" videos. I'd love to see someone do a How To on installing one of Bill Guzman's rear suspensions. Or someone doing a before and after video after doing a brake upgrade, etc.

That's just a couple examples of major modifications, but there are a plenty of "normal" MG topics where John Twist's are the only ones available on the subject. Even accounting for the fact that Ford made 5x more Foxbody Mustangs than BMC made MGBs, there are 20x more YouTube videos on Foxbody Mustangs.

THAT SAID, every time I pick up my wrench, I am grateful for YouTube, mgexp.com and the Internet in general. I just think we can do better.

I don't know. It's always smoked like that/made that sound/done that.

+1 Yes No Thank
Eteamjack Avatar
Eteamjack Silver Member Jack Barth
Placentia, calif, USA   USA
1974 MG MGB "Old Yeller 7D4MGB"
Have used youube many times for various fixes. I usully check there to determine whether its a job Im comforable with.

-1 Yes No Thank
Gerald O Avatar
Gerald O Gerald O'Docharty
Wake Forest, North Carolina, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB GT
1978 MG MGB
Most people find it awkward to hold the camera while performing the work.

Here's my latest short video on using a 'needle scaler' to strip old paint from a block. (while trying to do this one-handed winking smiley )

All done:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-13 11:29 AM by Gerald O.

Attachments:
block_stripped.jpg    48 KB
block_stripped.jpg

+1 Yes No Thank
Gerry Avatar
Gerry Gold Member Gerry Masterman
Prairieville, LA, USA   USA
There are at least two J Twist vids that I strongly disagree with. Both involve beating on a steering column. I have had to repair too many columns damaged by these tactics

Yes No Thank
V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN, USA   USA
Take all of it with a grain of salt. There are a lot of "experts" throwing up videos that are doing people a disservice. They will let any idiot put up a vid!

I helped my son R&R the driver's CV halfshaft on his '04 Accord Coupe. W were removing it, when my son told I had to take a couple more bolts out to undo additional suspension components. What? He said that is what the guy on YouTube said. I said look at it. Look at the parts & what we are trying to do. That is an unnecessary step. He said, "You sure?" I said look at it. We took it to shortcut & skipped that step. Piece o' cake.

Yes No Thank
Nicecar Avatar
Nicecar Gary (ex "Harv") G
Victoria, BC, Canada   CAN
1980 MG MGB "Red On Red On Red"
"John Swift of University Motors....."

Just learned John was son of "Tom Swift", (imagineer and author), imagine that!

Twist is really good, (kindly spoke to me twice on phone) but I too had two issues with his advice; steering wheel on my /80 being one.

He is a brave soul, doing repairs on camera, and let troubles show themselves. And look at how many he did! A treasure trove.

Yes No Thank
cunhab Avatar
cunhab Bruce Cunha
Placerville, CA, USA   USA
1950 MG TD
1967 MG MGB GT
Did the shop close or did John sell it? I thought I saw an ad that the shop was still running?

Yes No Thank
Lonwuff Gerald Beach
NAMPA, ID, USA   USA
The shop closed under the ownership of John. He just didn't have enough business and too many employees to make it viable, he decided to call it retirement. For the question of if it's still there I don't know but I would doubt it's still a British car repair. That's why he didn't have enough business for a limited clientele. Could be wrong because I was once in the past.

Yes No Thank
KPK Avatar
KPK Silver Member Kevin K
Cumberland, RI, USA   USA
1977 MG MGB "Emma"

11 Foot 8

I agree. Some of the videos on YouTube are too funny.

Here's one of my favorites.

Never disappoints.

Yes No Thank
BFC Avatar
BFC Ben Clark
Allegan, MI, USA   USA
1980 MG MGB "Kilr B"
1980 MG MGB MkIV
John's old location is now a different business. (I checked on Google Earth, because I wanted to get a pic in front of the sign if it was still there.)

British Carburetors, LLC and Rusty Moose Garage are where his employees have gone, if I recall correctly. Rusty Moose is in Grand Haven, MI and British Carburetors is doing business by mail.

In reply to # 3908656 by Lonwuff The shop closed under the ownership of John. He just didn't have enough business and too many employees to make it viable, he decided to call it retirement. For the question of if it's still there I don't know but I would doubt it's still a British car repair. That's why he didn't have enough business for a limited clientele. Could be wrong because I was once in the past.

I don't know. It's always smoked like that/made that sound/done that.

Yes No Thank
Gerald O Avatar
Gerald O Gerald O'Docharty
Wake Forest, North Carolina, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB GT
1978 MG MGB
In reply to # 3908676 by KPK I agree. Some of the videos on YouTube are too funny.

Here's one of my favorites.

Never disappoints.

Used to work a couple blocks away from that bridge. Happens constantly.

Yes No Thank
Lonwuff Gerald Beach
NAMPA, ID, USA   USA
John and his son are now business partners doing bench work on gear boxes, carburetors, windshield wipers and differentials for td's. He is still working on videos.
At the time he closed the shop which wasn't making enough money his wife was dying of cancer and they moved to Hawaii until her death. He decided he couldn't retire at 61 so that's when he got into his new business with his 22 yr old son. They are now doing as explained above.

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster