YA GOT TO PAY TO PLAY

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

cschaefer Silver Member Chuck Schaefer
West Chicago, IL, USA   USA
In reply to # 3889366 by greenrman J. I like the volunteer system. I enjoy the site so I pay.

[snip]

What I absolutely abhor is the "guilt trip" method ....not that I am insinuating this on your post,...but just a thought came to my mind,...so I had to post....for example: when one goes thru the grocery line, and the cashier has been forced to ask (after all your grocery items scanned, and yer paying)...."Would you like to donate $2 to ...this...or that Foundation?"

[snip] My personal opinion is that I hate the guilt trip approach. Again, not insinuating this on your post. But. Jus sayin

I agree about the guilt trip part. I feel like I'm being preached to. However sometime we do need a reminder that running a site like this does cost both time and money. I'm sure that we don't intentionally take advantage of it. For some, the thought of supporting this site never crossed our minds, For others we may have intended to donate but simply forgot. Life comes at us quickly. For these reasons, I think it is appropriate that a reminder such as the OP has done, is a good, not a bad thing,

For myself, I am currently a paying member, some other years, I was not. It varies. I welcome the occasional gentle reminder. Perhaps Skye could send out an email to paying members as a reminder when our subscription runs out so we can decide to renew?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Skye Avatar
Skye Webmaster Skye Nott
Vancouver, BC, Canada   CAN
1964 Vespa VNB 125
1966 MG MGB "The Bomber RIP"
1983 Suzuki MC GS750E "Kate"
1986 Merkur XR4Ti "The Rally Car"    & more
This post inspired me to finish writing the About Me page for the website that I've been rewriting over and over for weeks.
(Too much information? Probably! Does anyone care about my camper van? Probably not, but it was fun digging out the photo!)

https://www.mgexp.com/welcome/about.php

If you have the means, and want to support a small business, I sure do appreciate Supporting Memberships:

If not, that's OK too!

I do usually see a heart-warming blip in memberships whenever someone posts one of these "reminders" so I appreciate the thought.

Skye

PS: I'm going to rewrite the whole Membership system soon (maybe ditch Paypal and add a monthly membership option)

Webmaster, The MG Experience
AutoShrine.com - Corvus Digital

Member Services:
Building the best online communities for auto enthusiasts.
oleanderjoe Avatar
oleanderjoe Gold Member Joseph Baba
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
THANKS SKYE: All I was saying is, I am pretty sure just about everyone I have ever met has to work for a living, and you expect to get PAID for that work. I am sure you have the same expectation. Great Job. thumbs up

In reply to # 3890087 by Skye This post inspired me to finish writing the About Me page for the website that I've been rewriting over and over for weeks.
(Too much information? Probably! Does anyone care about my camper van? Probably not, but it was fun digging out the photo!)

If you have the means, and want to support a small business, I sure do appreciate Supporting Memberships:

If not, that's OK too!

I do usually see a heart-warming blip in memberships whenever someone posts one of these "reminders" so I appreciate the thought.

Skye

PS: I'm going to rewrite the whole Membership system soon (maybe ditch Paypal and add a monthly membership option)

IN ALL SUBJECTS.: For those who believe, no proof is needed. For those who don’t believe, no proof is possible.

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough"
Sir Henry Royce
co-founder of Rolls Royce .

"BENJAMIN FRANKLIN" >>(Expanded) The bitterness of poor quality (or Crappy Workmenship) remains LONG AFTER the Sweet Taste of Low Price is forgotten.

Member Services:
Jon62midget Avatar
Jon62midget Gold Member Jonathan Brown
Savannah, GA, USA   USA
Good reminder. I thought I was a paying member, but I guess It didn't auto renew. Off to find my wallet.

chris Avatar
chris Platinum Member Chris Roop
Pendleton, OR, USA   USA
In reply to # 3890087 by Skye This post inspired me to finish writing the About Me page for the website that I've been rewriting over and over for weeks.

If not, that's OK too!

Skye

I care about vans! That's how Jane and I got together, college class in Baja with the bus. So I just read the whole page. smiling smiley

Member Services:
Used English car parts.
chris Avatar
Pendleton, OR, USA   USA
In reply to # 3890107 by Jon62midget Good reminder. I thought I was a paying member, but I guess It didn't auto renew. Off to find my wallet.

So there ya go Skye! A real life example of the value of an auto reminder when subscriptions run out! smiling smiley

Member Services:
Used English car parts.
Soling2003 Avatar
Soling2003 Silver Member Gary M
Pahoa, HI, USA   USA
Mark, I feel your pain. Milk can easily be almost $10/gal here. Bread is $5/loaf for decent bread, and gas is almost $4/gal, diesel is more! They don’t ship many things to this island, even though it is part of the states. My wife, even though she grew up in hawaii, effectionatly call the big island the 3rd world.

But, and this is a big but, it is just after 7pm and i’m Eating dinner sitting out on the back patio in t shirt and shorts still, it was 79 today, and windy. I can sail in shorts in small boats year round. And I can still see snow on the top of our biggest mountain, so I don’t feel too homesick for seattle. Plus we get 4 times as much rain as seattle does.

Yet, for all the help I get from this site, and being on a fixed income these days, in Hawaii, I am still willing to pay to at least be a silver member, it is worth it.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Skye Avatar
Skye Webmaster Skye Nott
Vancouver, BC, Canada   CAN
1964 Vespa VNB 125
1966 MG MGB "The Bomber RIP"
1983 Suzuki MC GS750E "Kate"
1986 Merkur XR4Ti "The Rally Car"    & more
Toyota Hiace pop top, drove every road in NZ. Up and down the mountain passes. It was experience learning to column-shift in a RHD vehicle in downtown Auckland!

Miss having a camper. looking forward to having a place to park a van or a small trailer in the near future...

Skye

In reply to # 3890116 by chris I care about vans! That's how Jane and I got together, college class in Baja with the bus. So I just read the whole page. smiling smiley

Webmaster, The MG Experience
AutoShrine.com - Corvus Digital

Member Services:
Building the best online communities for auto enthusiasts.

Attachments:
nz hiace motueka.jpg    123.1 KB
nz hiace motueka.jpg

ghnl Avatar
ghnl Silver Member Eric Russell
Mebane, NC, USA   USA
1961 MG MGA "Calvin"
Our honeymoon suite. We wandered along the east coast of the USA for a month.

Eric Russell ~ Mebane, NC
1961 MGA #61, 1981 Alfa Romeo GTV6, 1984 Alfa Romeo Spider, 1991 Honda ST1100

Attachments:
VW camper 01.jpg    26.1 KB
VW camper 01.jpg

honeymooners 01.jpg    14.9 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
oleanderjoe Avatar
oleanderjoe Gold Member Joseph Baba
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
ONCE I tried to DOWN shift an MGBGTV8 from fourth to Third, R/H Drive, and I ended up "Breaking Off" the R/H Window Winder KNOB. eye popping smiley

In reply to # 3890346 by Skye Toyota Hiace pop top, drove every road in NZ. Up and down the mountain passes. It was experience learning to column-shift in a RHD vehicle in downtown Auckland!

Miss having a camper. looking forward to having a place to park a van or a small trailer in the near future...

Skye

In reply to # 3890116 by chris I care about vans! That's how Jane and I got together, college class in Baja with the bus. So I just read the whole page. smiling smiley

IN ALL SUBJECTS.: For those who believe, no proof is needed. For those who don’t believe, no proof is possible.

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough"
Sir Henry Royce
co-founder of Rolls Royce .

"BENJAMIN FRANKLIN" >>(Expanded) The bitterness of poor quality (or Crappy Workmenship) remains LONG AFTER the Sweet Taste of Low Price is forgotten.

Member Services:
spikemichael Avatar
spikemichael Platinum Member Michael Caputo
Ocean Shores, WA, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB "Freebie"
1973 MG MGB
1974 MG MGB "Spike"
1979 MG MGB "MegaBeanie"    & more
In reply to # 3889517 by greenrman Chris...(above post)...NEVER even thunk that. You're prolly RIGHT !!

SCREW "Save-On" (BC grocer)....I'm gonna CALL this out EVERY time the cashier asks again....not to bag on the cashier,...but I'll screw the rest of the ppl behind me & ask the cashier for the MANAGER to come STAT,....so I can ask the dickhead THAT very Q.

"DOES SAVE-ON GET A TAX BREAK ON MY DONATION? YES or NO? IF YOU CANNOT ANSWER THIS Q,..I PLAN TO STAND HERE IN YOUR GROCERY LINE UNTIL I GET ....AN ANSWER THAT SATIFIES ME...OR CLOSE THIS LINE DOWN, & I REFUSE TO PAY, AFTER ALL YOUR BAGGING."

END OF STORY.

(PS. I do not MIND being a GOLD member & paying for something that I actually get personal satisfaction & personal return ...from.

Jus sayin)

For the record, the way it works (and I do not condone the ask every customer method) is that the grocery store collects and turns over 100% of the collected funds to the charity. it goes into and out of their books, they do not get a deduction for the donation. The store does get the appearance of doing something nice for the charity but it does receive the image benefit at virtually no expense beyond accounting for everything collected and the check being written. What I REALLY object to is when they create one of those huge checks and get notoriety for handing over the money they collected... that stinks.

ALSO ... You could support the site by visiting Skye's "Shop". It's in the black bar above (Full disclosure, I am the fulfillment agent for his shop.) the bite is a smaller but every little bit helps him run the place.

Michael J. Caputo
'79 RBB and '73 CBB owner with extensive experience in 12v Audio System design and installation.
Vendor of Regalia and Promotional Products. Forum Member with a warped sense of humor.

Member Services:
Call me at 978-249-5760 PST for help with your Weber DGV Carburetor, questions about the calendar, or just to talk MGBs! Send high resolution photo submissions for next year's calendar to 2020photos@mgbcalendar.com
spikemichael Avatar
spikemichael Platinum Member Michael Caputo
Ocean Shores, WA, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB "Freebie"
1973 MG MGB
1974 MG MGB "Spike"
1979 MG MGB "MegaBeanie"    & more
NOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Don't totally ditch PayPal!
It is so convenient for me.

In reply to # 3890087 by Skye PS: I'm going to rewrite the whole Membership system soon (maybe ditch Paypal and add a monthly membership option)

Michael J. Caputo
'79 RBB and '73 CBB owner with extensive experience in 12v Audio System design and installation.
Vendor of Regalia and Promotional Products. Forum Member with a warped sense of humor.

Member Services:
Call me at 978-249-5760 PST for help with your Weber DGV Carburetor, questions about the calendar, or just to talk MGBs! Send high resolution photo submissions for next year's calendar to 2020photos@mgbcalendar.com
chris Avatar
Pendleton, OR, USA   USA
In reply to # 3890739 by spikemichael
In reply to # 3889517 by greenrman Chris...(above post)...NEVER even thunk that. You're prolly RIGHT !!

SCREW "Save-On" (BC grocer)....I'm gonna CALL this out EVERY time the cashier asks again....not to bag on the cashier,...but I'll screw the rest of the ppl behind me & ask the cashier for the MANAGER to come STAT,....so I can ask the dickhead THAT very Q.

"DOES SAVE-ON GET A TAX BREAK ON MY DONATION? YES or NO? IF YOU CANNOT ANSWER THIS Q,..I PLAN TO STAND HERE IN YOUR GROCERY LINE UNTIL I GET ....AN ANSWER THAT SATIFIES ME...OR CLOSE THIS LINE DOWN, & I REFUSE TO PAY, AFTER ALL YOUR BAGGING."

END OF STORY.

(PS. I do not MIND being a GOLD member & paying for something that I actually get personal satisfaction & personal return ...from.

Jus sayin)

For the record, the way it works (and I do not condone the ask every customer method) is that the grocery store collects and turns over 100% of the collected funds to the charity. it goes into and out of their books, they do not get a deduction for the donation. The store does get the appearance of doing something nice for the charity but it does receive the image benefit at virtually no expense beyond accounting for everything collected and the check being written. What I REALLY object to is when they create one of those huge checks and get notoriety for handing over the money they collected... that stinks.

ALSO ... You could support the site by visiting Skye's "Shop". It's in the black bar above (Full disclosure, I am the fulfillment agent for his shop.) the bite is a smaller but every little bit helps him run the place.

You might be correct but I doubt it this time. Sure, the money is collected and 100% is presented to the charity. But, that donation is now on their books and can be labeled as a donation, which is tax deductible.

Member Services:
Used English car parts.
Rick Fawthrop Avatar
Rick Fawthrop Richard Fawthrop
Langley, WA, USA   USA
I want to hear more camper stories.

MGB567 Avatar
MGB567 Gold Member Barrie Braxton
Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1966 MG MGB MkI "Money Guzzler"
1979 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion "Darkside"
"I'm going to rewrite the whole Membership system soon (maybe ditch Paypal and add a monthly membership option)"

I'm probably getting close to sitting on the couch with Ernie and Lloyd - well not the same couch as them so ditching Paypal may not be the issue I forsee but if you did ditch them you lose my contribution (just renewed) as I don't do anything else.

BTW for those counting their pennies it costs 20c/day for Gold for me grinning smiley

Convertible: CKD 11/66 first registered 8/5/67. Owned since 3/77. 90% original sheet metal. 18GB +40 balanced with almost all new internals. Peter Burgess big valve fast road head. Piper 285. Fidanza FW. Basil's followers and pushrods. TR7clutch. TT exhaust. ARP everywhere. 123 ign. Needham 4synchro c/r box.. Stock rebuilt/replaced suspension. Superpro bushes. New brakes all round including all pipes in SS flex. Interior redone. CAMS approved roll bar and side bars. Lots more. Hybrid of o/e and show/fast road car. Not for sale - it's my toy!

GT: UK car built/sold December '78. Stripped back to bare shell with VW Golf flared guards, flush fit front and rear valances with front guards immovable. Front and rear seams removed,Torana XU1 vents, frenched indicators front & Mk1 rear lights. Powered by 'worked' Rover 5 litre V8 (ex TVR Chimaera) with efi. T5 box. FC IFS. CCE rear attached to Salisbury axle with Quaife. All new interior with MrMikes covers on MX5 seats. Retro4 7x15 rims (zero offset) and 205/55 rubber. Colour: Jaguar Storm. Not for sale - it's my sanity!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-14 04:23 AM by MGB567.

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1976 MG Midget 1500

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links