Visit our Twitter feed for more great content
MGExp

MGB & GT Forum

When does it become cost-prohibitive to do rust repair?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

danthefitman Avatar
danthefitman Dan H
Portland, OR, USA   USA
1979 MG MGB MkIII "Simply, A Great B!"
When does it become cost-prohibitive to do rust repair or having to replace entire panels or, doors?

Probably better to find a car without much if any rust I take it. Yo.

1st Place Winner ABFM Portland Oregon 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 & 2016!
Email me for questions or needs, I'll respond promptly! dan@allpointsorganized.com
Life. Positively in order.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ski.dive Avatar
ski.dive Fred M
FORT PIERCE, FL & MOUNT SNOW, VERMONT, FL & VT, USA   USA
Too much Rust repair is very expensive and time consuming.

Buy an MGB with minimal rust, they are inexpensive.smileys with beer

zdorsch Zach Dorsch
Columbia, SC, USA   USA
I think the notion of too much rust and cost is subjective.

Paying someone else to replace and repairs panels gets expensive, so maybe if the cost outweighs the value of the car. Although some folks take this approach and end up with way more money than its worth.

Doing your own work can reduce the cost and many of us here value our time at a very low, if not free, cost in terms of money.

In terms of a hobby and doing your own work, monetary cost becomes meaningless at some subjective point. For example, when I get ready to do body work on my own car I will probably have more in the panels and paint supplies than what I paid for the car (this does not include cost of tools). It’s with it to me though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-09 01:26 PM by zdorsch.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Gerry Avatar
Gerry Gold Member Gerry Masterman
Prairieville, LA, USA   USA
Dan, thats really a question that only you can answer. You have to weigh how bad the damage against how much you are willing to spend to repair it. It also depends on how much of the work you can do yourself. There is no doubt that a rust free tub is the way to go IF that is an option.

It's a bit of a PITA to replace the rear fenders. Floors are bad, too. Doors can be repaired, reskinned or replaced, depending on your budget I suspect the cost to reskin just about equals replacing the door with used/new. Again, it depends how bad the damage is and whether you are having to pay someone else to do the work.

BTW, my 78B had the crack of doom on both doors. The local body shops will not reskin the door. They want to use NEW door, only. I can live with the crack. I've never reskinned a door and I don't think I'd try to do it myself. Looks simple but it has to be done right to get the lines correct

gofastandfalldown Avatar
gofastandfalldown Glen Horne
Edmonton, AB, Canada   CAN
1970 MG MGB MkII "Miss Pandora Moneypit"
When your bank balance is $0 ?

Rod H. Avatar
Amity, OR, USA   USA
1964 MG MGB
1968 MG MGB GT
Just owning an MGB or most other classic cars is cost prohibitive from an investment standpoint. From a hobby standpoint, if you have the funds and enjoy it, then why not if you like the challenge? The point where it becomes resource prohibitive will be different for everyone.

I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones. John Cage

'63 MGB
'68 MGBGT
'80 VW Vanagon Kombi
'09 Mazda 3 with 5 speed manual

barry s Avatar
barry s Silver Member Barry Stoll
Alexandria, VA, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB GT
1974 MG MGB
1976 Triumph TR6
1980 MG MGB
Dan - Have you not been reading 100s of threads on this topic during your 12 years on this forum?

gofastandfalldown Avatar
gofastandfalldown Glen Horne
Edmonton, AB, Canada   CAN
1970 MG MGB MkII "Miss Pandora Moneypit"
When your bank balance is $0 ?

danthefitman Avatar
danthefitman Dan H
Portland, OR, USA   USA
Yo Barry, I never learned how to read. Though your supercilious comment is pointless.

I personally wanted to pose the question, to get a perspective unique to my question.

In reply to # 3888666 by barry s Dan - Have you not been reading 100s of threads on this topic during your 12 years on this forum?

1st Place Winner ABFM Portland Oregon 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 & 2016!
Email me for questions or needs, I'll respond promptly! dan@allpointsorganized.com

barry s Avatar
barry s Silver Member Barry Stoll
Alexandria, VA, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB GT
1974 MG MGB
1976 Triumph TR6
1980 MG MGB
Sorry, I didn't understand that your question was specific.

danthefitman Avatar
danthefitman Dan H
Portland, OR, USA   USA
Thanks Barry. Sure, read plenty on our forum about rust over the years. But never posted my own questions about it. I've been looking at a GT. It's got plenty of rust in both floor boards, internal sills and rocker panels all need replacement. As well several body panels, and the driver door is seriously creased in, dented. And new doors aren't available anymore, so that's means hunting for a used door. Since the floorboards sills and rocker panels are part of the structure, I just can't justify spending any money on that car. And with our little 5 year old baby girl, and a wife in full-time nurse practitioner school, there's no way I could allocate time to do such a task right now, and frankly, rust repair isn't something I think I'd want to do. I've never even touched a welder machine.

And of course the owner believes that there is no rust. Or not very much. And not very much rust proclamation from the existing owner, ALWAYS means there's a lot more rust than they're even willing to admit to themselves, much less a potential buyer.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-09 04:22 PM by danthefitman.

Aridgerunner Avatar
Aridgerunner Silver Member Bill Bussler
Montoursville, PA, USA   USA
1956 MG MGA 1500 "The A"
1959 Triumph TR3A "The Mistress"
Dan, at this point in your life any rust repair is cost prohibitive. I've been there. At this point in MY life I'll tackle anything. But I'm retired, kids are all working with good jobs and out of the house and the wife has a good job. And I have all the tools, space and skills required.

If all goes well someday you'll be in a much better position to take on a project car.

Bill

Rick Fawthrop Avatar
Rick Fawthrop Richard Fawthrop
Langley, WA, USA   USA
Dan even if the car was free, it would be a loser.
A nice GT is affordable. No reason to go thru the work and drama. The East coast and UK guys don’t have a choice.

Mustangsix Avatar
Mustangsix Gold Member Jack Collins
Orlando, FL, USA   USA
If you have the tools, time, space, and skills, rust repair is not that big a deal. Panels are cheap and the car isn't that complex.

OTOH, of you have to shell out $$$$ for dozens of hours of labor, it could be better just to buy a better car.

Member Services:
Ceres Motorsports specializes in the repair, restoration, and customization of classic British cars including MG, Triumph, and many other makes.
Mustangsix Avatar
Mustangsix Gold Member Jack Collins
Orlando, FL, USA   USA
If you have the tools, time, space, and skills, rust repair is not that big a deal. Panels are cheap and the car isn't that complex.

OTOH, of you have to shell out $$$$ for dozens of hours of labor, it could be a better idea just to buy a better car. We have seen more than one car in our shop where the cost of labor required to do extensive rust repairs made it an impossible proposition.

Member Services:
Ceres Motorsports specializes in the repair, restoration, and customization of classic British cars including MG, Triumph, and many other makes.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster