Visit our Twitter feed for more great content
MGExp

MGB & GT Forum

What mg owners don't like about the cars body.

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

cunhab Avatar
cunhab Bruce Cunha
Placerville, CA, USA   USA
1950 MG TD
1967 MG MGB GT
The placement of the seatbelt holder on my 67 GT. With where I have the seat, it is very difficult to put the belt into the holder.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
allanreeling ALLAN R
RANDLAY, TELFORD, Shropshire, UK   GBR
I'm a bit stuck on "BOOT COVER"? Never mind Big Kahuna?

soonerv8

the omega man Avatar
the omega man phil wilkins
staffordshire, Stafford, UK   GBR
I think I would like it better if the body was made from aluminium or kevlar.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Jeepstang Avatar
Jeepstang Gary Alvino
Beverly Hills, FL, USA   USA
Easy,
Quarter panel and front fender beading, if there ever was a spot for finish problems to develop, that's it.

Emobile3 Avatar
Emobile3 Silver Member Elaine S
Fort St John, BC, Canada   CAN
1973 MG MGB MkIII "Max"
I like everything about my 73 exterior style wise........however I prefer the interior of the 60's, I like the steel dash and the overall "less is more" look. Oh I guess if we were talking hard tops, then I hate that thing, its hideous and I would prefer the ones they have in Australia, now those are cool.

Elaine Smith

1973 MG MGB MKIII "Max"

You won't catch me driving Max with a scarf on my head!

Chalky Avatar
Chalky David White
Coventry, Warwickshire, UK   GBR
I’d fix the water traps on the front wings/ fenders to stop the front of the sills/ rockers from rotting.
Fix the rust trap on the sills/ dog leg panels.
Better body build tolerance so it’s the same length on both sides.
Seam seal all of the welds to keep water out.
Strengthen rear spring hangers
Wax inject all box sections
Heater as a self contained assembly so the body isn’t used as part of the heater - remove water trap
Redesign the rear side windows on the GT to stop them rotting under the chrome finishers
Use galvanised steel for all panels to slow down /stop corrosion from stone chips

The appearance of the body is perfect and doesn’t need changing.

jseabolt Avatar
jseabolt James Seabolt
Mount Carmel, TN, USA   USA
1977 MG MGB
Bodywise, I think they are sexy cars. Even the rubber bumper models.

My only complaint is how the convertible top folds up and down. Maybe once I do it a few times, it won't be that big a deal but as of now, I'd hate to get caught in a thunderstorm with the top down.

http://s222.photobucket.com/user/turbofiat/library/?sort=2&page=0

1977 MGB
1980 Fiat 124 Spider (turbo)
1987 Yugo (1500 turbo)
1981 Trabant 601
1987 Citroen 2CV
1968 Ford Fairlane 500

converse212 Avatar
converse212 Eric Morgan
Atlanta, GA, USA   USA
1958 MG MGA
1970 MG MGB "Daily Driver"
1970 MG MGB GT "Rusty"
1971 MG MGB GT    & more
Should’ve done more of it out of aluminum....

Daily driving a '71 MGB

Resurrecting a '58 MGA

DrewM Avatar
DrewM Silver Member Drew Maddock
74 MGB roadster, Southern California, USA   USA
I owned a 1971 Fiat 124 Sport Spider which had a folding top that went up and down as easily as the top on a modern Miata. One hand. Even at a stop sign. The design of the MGB top needed some Italian cleverness. It's a mess. I hate taking it down and trying to get it folded right.

Remember, these cars were essentially designed in 1960 or 1961. They're 60 year old designs. What other car from 1960 looks as nice or works as well? Maybe some, but not many.

What MG didn't do is the real problem, not what they did do. As the car went on for nearly 20 years, they should have made improvements. They did make a few, but not nearly enough. Due to money issues, they couldn't afford to make too many changes -- which is why the bonnet/hood kept that raised part for the MG badge even when they moved it to the grille. Once they designed the car in 1960, it generally didn't change much. How many modern cars are basically the same as they were 20 years ago? There may be a few (Jeep Wrangler, maybe), but not many. The MGB was designed as a cheap sports car for the masses. As a car design, it wasn't even supposed to last very long, maybe 7, 8 years, before it was redesigned into a different more modern car. But they could never afford to redesign it. So they just kept making the same old car design. Today, we don't care. But through the 1970s, the MGB was widely considered a very old design that was way out of date. Remember it sold against the Datsun 204Z, the Fiat Spider, the Opel GT, maybe even the BMW 2002, and other more modern cars. By the 70s, even Japanese economy sedans could outperform an MGB and were better built. MGB needed changes 50 years ago that it never got. So it's no surprise we see the same things that could be improved today.

Drew Maddock, So. Calif. USofA

tampaguy Avatar
tampaguy Jack Shea
Elgin, OR, USA   USA
David you must remember these cars where built to a price point. If everything you mentioned was done during the time period MG built the B they would have been much more expensive. I do agree the heater design is an abomination, way over engineered. As far as rust goes, it is a problem the entire industry overlooked. I’ve seen plenty of Porsche’s that desolved into dust also and let’s not even mention Japanese vehicles.

MG-Maxx Avatar
MG-Maxx Silver Member Charles Waugh
West Haven, CT, USA   USA
1979 MG MGB MkIII "Rumpelstiltskin"
2008 Chevrolet HHR
500,000 cars over 18 years. They must have been doing something right.

Just to put a little perspective on the numbers. It took Ford about a year and a half (641/2 + 65) to top that by about 50,000. 1966 model sold 607,000 cars.

I think if they would have kept up with style and technology changes, they could have doubled the sales over the 18yrs.

Chuck
Hamden, CT

79 MGB - Rumpelstiltskin
Just awakened after a 10 year slumber.
GM 60V6 Gen 3 - 3.5L EFI V6 T-5.

jseabolt Avatar
jseabolt James Seabolt
Mount Carmel, TN, USA   USA
1977 MG MGB
In reply to # 3878399 by DrewM I owned a 1971 Fiat 124 Sport Spider which had a folding top that went up and down as easily as the top on a modern Miata.

Didn't want to say it but I've owned a 1980 Fiat 124 Spider for 27 years and yes the top can be folded down in 2 seconds and put back up in less than 30 seconds in a rainstorm.

http://s222.photobucket.com/user/turbofiat/library/?sort=2&page=0

1977 MGB
1980 Fiat 124 Spider (turbo)
1987 Yugo (1500 turbo)
1981 Trabant 601
1987 Citroen 2CV
1968 Ford Fairlane 500

rlmccullough Avatar
rlmccullough Silver Member Robert McCullough
Montpelier, VT, USA   USA
1963 MG MGB
1966 MG MGB MkI
Ditto Gerry's observation about the computer stuff. The toggle switches are either up or down; the heater control is either on or off. The choke has a C. The left switch on the radio turns in two directions, as does the selection knob. My wife just bought a new VW.... let me tell you about the two-hundred page manual and the chapters that describe the controls.

V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN, USA   USA
In reply to # 3878399 by DrewM The design of the MGB top needed some Italian cleverness.

Maybe not any cleverness, but it did get some Italian. Giovanni Michelotti. winking smiley

Devon Devon Tompkins
Salinas, CA, USA   USA
Hey everyone, I've been entertained by the complaints about a fold down top. My 1970 B has a stow away top. Compared to the folders it is time consuming. Switching to fold down is last on the budget.
But my 1st project car was a 1925 Star Touring. After folding and raising that top for years, I don't think twice about the top for my B.
As for the cars body lines, I compare those to a woman's figure: What is not to love?

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster