Visit our Twitter feed for more great content
MGExp

MGB & GT Forum

What mg owners don't like about the cars body.

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

tahoe36c Avatar
tahoe36c Paul Hruza
Panama City, FL, USA   USA
1969 MG MGC GT "Little Red Rocket..."
1972 MG MGB GT "Tiny Dancer"
2002 Harley-Davidson Dyna
De-Americanize it by removing all the added reflectors/lights, etc... I seriously doubt they have any real effect anyway! Idiot drivers are idiot drivers no matter how bright your car might glow...

I am GT biased... Pininfarina did a great job helping with the design. The GT's body lines (and Tourer too!) are timeless with beautiful cures. Adding all those things like mirrors on the wings and reflectors do noting but interrupt those lines!!!

Hence my reason for removing them all...

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
P1010686.JPG    38.4 KB
P1010686.JPG

jseabolt Avatar
jseabolt James Seabolt
Mount Carmel, TN, USA   USA
1977 MG MGB
In reply to # 3878533 by Devon Hey everyone, I've been entertained by the complaints about a fold down top. My 1970 B has a stow away top. Compared to the folders it is time consuming. Switching to fold down is last on the budget.
But my 1st project car was a 1925 Star Touring. After folding and raising that top for years, I don't think twice about the top for my B.
As for the cars body lines, I compare those to a woman's figure: What is not to love?

Tell me more about this fold down top conversion your doing.

It will be interesting to see how this car "stacks up" against my 124 Spider.

A few things I like about the MGB versus the 124 Spider. Engine looks easier to work on . I have not done a valve adjustment yet but it seems about as easy as adjusting the valve lash on a B&S lawnmower All you need is a feeler gauge and a couple of tools. Fiat 124 DOHC engines uses these discs to adjust the valve clearances (no push-rods). Usually about a 2 to 3 hour job. These job requires a valve "bucket" compression tool, magnet and a digital caliper to measure the shim thickness. Fiats also use timing belts. Although a German idea,The DOHC engine used in the 124 Spider was the first mass produced engine that uses a timing belt. So you an all curse Fiat for the idea of going from a chain to a belt on other makes.

The cooling systems are hard to bleed as well with the radiators being lower than the cylinder head. I guess this is because both cars have those sexy hoods that slope downward.

Spiders have four wheel power disc brakes, four wheel coil springs and a panhard rod but only one piston per caliper. And they don't have the best brakes at that.

Personally I like the rear drum/leaf spring suspension on the MGB. There is nothing wrong with rear drums. Just not very good on the front like my 68 Ford. I understand the Corvettes still use transverse leaf spring suspension? Except they are made of carbon fiber or something.

I can't wait to get this car on the road and drive it. I've only driven my MGB in the driveway due to it's brakes. I drove a few MGBs back in the early 90s when I was looking for a cheap convertible. Then ended up with the 124 Spider back in 1992 because some foreign car auto mechanic told me to stay away from British cars!

Now I got the MGB I wanted to begin with.

http://s222.photobucket.com/user/turbofiat/library/?sort=2&page=0

1977 MGB
1980 Fiat 124 Spider (turbo)
1987 Yugo (1500 turbo)
1981 Trabant 601
1987 Citroen 2CV
1968 Ford Fairlane 500

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-22 07:14 AM by jseabolt.

TinyTin Avatar
TinyTin David Rogers
Merrimack, NH, USA   USA
1963 MG MGB "TinyTin"
x~ on working of the convertible top but that is more of a function issue than body style. As to the body style there really isn't anything I don't love about it. Actually, as I'm thinking about it, the overall look when the top is up suffers a bit. A little bubbly looking. I'm not sure what would improve that.

If you want to pick on another functional issue. How about the jack? Hoisting up one whole side of the car with that thing is nothing short of insane. eye popping smiley

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Bearsails Avatar
Bearsails Silver Member Michael Lippmann
Kingsville, Kingsville, Ontario, Canada   CAN
1968 MG MGC GT "Blewe"
1969 MG MGC GT "Uh Oh" (Rusty Red)"
1972 MG MGB "Betty"
1973 MG MGB GT "Trouble"    & more
I Love the body style..both GT and Ragtop....as for the propensity for rust? Really? Name a car built in the same time span that didn't rust easily...especially in the salt belt!
I owned many a mid 60's American boat that had the same issues....and a Puegot 504 that was a cool car but you could here that baby disintegrating in the driveway! MG's really were no better or worse than most cars of the era!

rrmgb Avatar
rrmgb Silver Member robert schau
Reston, VA., USA   USA
1973 MG MGB
1973 MG MGB
In reply to # 3877960 by greenrman I've owned my B for 5+ or so years?.... Those HIDEOUS and NEVER-WORKING/ALIGNING snaps for the boot cover suck the Big Kahuna.

Again, I have to be BLUNT...those "snaps" suck the BIG Kahuna. (My 66 Fairlane XL ragtop's snaps were an utter "JOY" compared to these British horrendous MGB's snaps). Jus sayin.

Hey Don, how do you really feel about the lift a dots ?

"It is a mistake to try to look too far ahead. The chain of destiny can only be grasped one link at a time."
Sir Winston Churchill
---------------------------------------------------------------
"It all starts in your mind's eye, then it goes to your heart
and finally to your very soul."
G.S.George PHD

Jim Stabe Avatar
San Diego, CA, USA   USA
I didn't like the way the rear valence looked cut off below the bumper. It made the bumper look like a shelf with nothing underneath.

So I fixed it by moving the valence rearward by a couple inches and forming the corners to match the contours of the sheetmetal below the tail lights. Makes the rear look more complete.

Jim

"If you want me to agree with you then we would both be wrong"

'66 MGB widened 11" with supercharged LT1 Chevy and 6 speed, C4 Corvette suspension
Pictures here Part 1 http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,7581
Continued in Part 2 http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,22422
Continued in Part 3 http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,33108
Continued in Part 4 http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,40751
Continued in Part 5 http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,48698,48698#msg-48698
Continued in Part 6 http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,61672

Attachments:
DSCF1252.JPG    30.3 KB
DSCF1252.JPG

Rear valence new (16).JPG    33.7 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Rear valence new (19).JPG    25.2 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
clinghoffer Gold Member Clinton P
Port Washington, WI, USA   USA
I didn't like all the things that stuck out from the back of the car.

greenrman Gold Member Don B
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1973 MG MGB "Oscar"
2005 BMW 3 Series Cabriolet "Sabrina"
In reply to # 3888405 by rrmgb
In reply to # 3877960 by greenrman I've owned my B for 5+ or so years?.... Those HIDEOUS and NEVER-WORKING/ALIGNING snaps for the boot cover suck the Big Kahuna.

Again, I have to be BLUNT...those "snaps" suck the BIG Kahuna. (My 66 Fairlane XL ragtop's snaps were an utter "JOY" compared to these British horrendous MGB's snaps). Jus sayin.

Hey Don, how do you really feel about the lift a dots ?

Hey Robert.

Don't get me going on those hideous "lift-a-dots". My blood pressure rises 10 points just thinking about them. Haven't put on my black tonneau or black 1-piece'driver tonneau in over 5 years. Both are dust collectors somewhere folded up nicely in an upstairs closet. I think I remember ONCE I actually got them ALL ON as a 'trial' for both tonneaus....but if I remember correctly (?) I think I had to get completely drunk just to have the stamina to continue with that 2hr project to stretch both tonneaus out in the HOT sun, and they actually fit.

Robert. Did I mention I hate them?

jimbarin Jim Barin
Middlesbrough, North Yorkshire, UK   GBR
Miatas - seems they rust just like the MGB does, according to the local Miata guys, except here they call them MX5.

jb

albeegreen1 Avatar
albeegreen1 Gold Member bob tresch
bordentown, NJ, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB MkIII "ALBERT"
What you don't like is what makes it an MGB.
I guess the bonnet strut. Makes the bonnet flex and holds alot of my scalp.

"Only those who have patience to do simple things perfectly ever acquire the skill to do difficult things easily".

- James Corbett.

Gerald O Avatar
Gerald O Gerald O'Docharty
Wake Forest, North Carolina, USA   USA
1978 MG MGB
What I don't like about the body is its susceptibility to rust.
I don't like the Crack of Doom.
I don't like the poor door alignment many of them were built with.

Salmon Arm, BC, Canada   CAN
1977 MG MGB
Dzus fasteners for battery cover.
Difficulty with fasteners connecting top to windshield.
Heater controls.
Tonneau connectors.

These are four bothersome things that aftermarket have addressed.

jimbarin Jim Barin
Middlesbrough, North Yorkshire, UK   GBR
What is it about the MGB I don't like?
The fact that Triumph people in Leyland screwed it up because no-one wanted their
wedgy shaped piece of dog excrement - the Roadster should have been brought out
as a V8 - Costello proved it worked, hundreds of aftermarket conversions have proved
the body perfectly safe to convert to V8 - the Triumph people could not bear the idea
that their car was junk and would be seen as a sick joke compared to a V8 Roadster.

billymgb1000 Avatar
billymgb1000 Silver Member william gaulin
harrisville, harrisville RI, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB
1974 MG MGB V8 Conversion "Sweet Thing"
Come on guys, I was drawn to the mgb because of how it looks. So how can I say what I don't like about the body. Again thats what drew me in. Well to each his own. Oh and a big Hell No to a miata no way no how. And since I put a L/S V8 in mine I cant stop smiling when ever i'm driving her.

miatadon Avatar
miatadon Silver Member Don Scott
Calistoga, CA, USA   USA
In reply to # 3877829 by lewk I think some of you folks should own Miatas.

Some of us do own Miatas!

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1972 MG MGB GT

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links