AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Probie Avatar
Probie Dwight Magee
Fenelon Falls, ON, Canada   CAN
1970 MG MGB MkIII "THE BABY"
I seen where someone took a Rostyle inner piece and put it on the oil filler cap, looked real good.
What is the best homemade thing you did to your car. Images are good to show your work and idea.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
3066james Avatar
3066james Gold Member Jim Cheatham
Amelia, VA, USA   USA
I posted this back in 2015 and have made this modification to my 70 MGB and my 57 MGA Coupe. These valves have not given me any problems since I installed them.

"I've always thought the heater valves on MGs are a bad design. IMO, they are difficult to open and close completely and most of the aftermarket ones are poor quality.

I saw something posted on this forum or the MGB & GT forum about using a Four Seasons valve #74648 attached to the base of the original style heater valve and thought I would try it. I just happened to have an old one that had failed so I cut the base off, drilled a 9/16" hole and tapped threads into it using a 3/8" NTP tap. I don't know who posted it originally or I would give them credit but thank you for the idea.

This valve is designed as a "pull to open and push to close" valve so I drilled a hole in the other end of the operating lever, tapped threads into it and will attach a cable stop to it so I can attach the control cable and be able to "push to open and pull to close". This valve opens and closes very easily and should allow much better coolant flow through the heater core since the opening is more than twice as big. As you can see from the pictures, it is approximately the same overall size as the original style valve. I will probably make one of these for my 70 MGB and put it on the next time I change the antifreeze."

Jim

Attachments:
009.JPG    33.6 KB
009.JPG

010.JPG    29 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
011.JPG    31.7 KB
MGB engine painted with POR 15 MG Maroon.JPG    58.1 KB
V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN, USA   USA
A one inch thick steering wheel spacer/adapter. Allowed me to bolt on a Nardi steering wheel and raised the wheel a bit for more thigh room.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
mgjoc Avatar
mgjoc Gold Member Dennis Rainey
Albertville, AL, USA   USA
1965 MG MGB "Roscoe"
1970 MG MGB MkII "Benny"
I fitted a powerpoint to my positive earth '65 about ten years ago for use of charging cell phones and iPads and using a GPS on longer trips. Has worked out beautifully. I installed it on the panel behind the passenger seat and It is nearly invisible. Ya sorta gotta know its there to know it there. Huh!

Cheers - MGjoc

"Quality is long remembered after cost is forgotten" - Sir Henry Royce

allanreeling ALLAN R
RANDLAY, TELFORD, Shropshire, UK   GBR
I made terminal posts for some of the "mission" critical circuits, always live circuits and earths to get rid of old bullets.

soonerv8

Gerald O Avatar
Gerald O Gerald O'Docharty
Wake Forest, North Carolina, USA   USA
1978 MG MGB
Electronic fuel injection (EFI), and distributorless coil-per-plug (CPP) ignition.

B-racer Avatar
B-racer Jeff Schlemmer
Shakopee, MN, USA   USA
1950 Willys Jeep Pickup "Ratrod"
1971 MG MGB ~ For Sale ! ~
2014 Dodge Charger
I can't find a pic, but a roller lifter camshaft is the best homemade part I've added to my MGB. In all honesty, someone else ground a blank I sent them, but I'll take credit for the design and install.

jeff@advanceddistributors.com

nickj Avatar
nickj Gold Member Nick Jenkins
Novato, Marin Co, CA, USA   USA
1970 MG MGB GT
1972 MG MGB
I made a new frame and body for the '72. Also homemade seats, suspension control arms, and dashboard. Everything else is pretty much stock.

Markp61 Avatar
Markp61 Silver Member Mark Pasquill
MARION, MA, USA   USA
Valve cover cap and the rear cubby hole covers for my GT.

Attachments:
986EDA81-09F5-4725-9A84-9AEFE9E8AD95.jpeg    26.7 KB
986EDA81-09F5-4725-9A84-9AEFE9E8AD95.jpeg

AE87ED6A-8D21-4EC1-B82D-E0678216BBF1.jpeg    77.7 KB
75FD2C5C-1DCB-4D90-BBBF-4C3285EA994E.jpeg    61.3 KB
pinkyponk Avatar
pinkyponk Gold Member Adrian Page
Berwick, NS, Canada   CAN
Chevy Cobalt supercharger with Mikuni HSR48 carburetor and cold air intake. Currently working on Chevy Cavalier rocker arm setup.

Nick's gonna win this one...

Adrian

Home built Eaton M62 Supercharger with 7.6psi boost, 8:1 compression, custom "supercharger" cam from Schneider Cams, Mikuni HSR48 Carburetor, cold air intake, ported head, matched manifolds, CB Performance computerized ignition, Fidanza 9 pound flywheel, Maxspeeding rods with Teflon wrist pin buttons.

Attachments:
MGB Supercharger cold air intake done 002.JPG    53.1 KB
MGB Supercharger cold air intake done 002.JPG

MGB Supercharger cold air intake done 003.JPG    55 KB
MGB Supercharger cold air intake done 004.JPG    57.1 KB
MGB rocker arm oiler 001.JPG    54.4 KB
pinkyponk Avatar
pinkyponk Gold Member Adrian Page
Berwick, NS, Canada   CAN
In reply to # 3889683 by 3066james I posted this back in 2015 and have made this modification to my 70 MGB and my 57 MGA Coupe. These valves have not given me any problems since I installed them.

"I've always thought the heater valves on MGs are a bad design. IMO, they are difficult to open and close completely and most of the aftermarket ones are poor quality.

I saw something posted on this forum or the MGB & GT forum about using a Four Seasons valve #74648 attached to the base of the original style heater valve and thought I would try it. I just happened to have an old one that had failed so I cut the base off, drilled a 9/16" hole and tapped threads into it using a 3/8" NTP tap. I don't know who posted it originally or I would give them credit but thank you for the idea.

This valve is designed as a "pull to open and push to close" valve so I drilled a hole in the other end of the operating lever, tapped threads into it and will attach a cable stop to it so I can attach the control cable and be able to "push to open and pull to close". This valve opens and closes very easily and should allow much better coolant flow through the heater core since the opening is more than twice as big. As you can see from the pictures, it is approximately the same overall size as the original style valve. I will probably make one of these for my 70 MGB and put it on the next time I change the antifreeze."

Jim

I like that Jim! Complete with part number! Nice mod.

Adrian

Home built Eaton M62 Supercharger with 7.6psi boost, 8:1 compression, custom "supercharger" cam from Schneider Cams, Mikuni HSR48 Carburetor, cold air intake, ported head, matched manifolds, CB Performance computerized ignition, Fidanza 9 pound flywheel, Maxspeeding rods with Teflon wrist pin buttons.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-11 04:08 PM by pinkyponk.

ingoldsb Avatar
ingoldsb Silver Member Terry Ingoldsby
Calgary, AB, Canada   CAN
1971 MG MGB
Cruise control.

Terry Ingoldsby
terry.ingoldsby@DCExperts.com

rocannon Avatar
rocannon Platinum Member Frank .
Clairvius Narcisse Township, Bokor, St. Kitts and Nevis   KNA
1967 MG MGB GT "GT From Hell"
1980 MG MGB "Restored By Photoshop Inc."
You know the saying "no pic - didn’t happen"...winking smiley

Seriously, you’ve mentioned it a number of times. I’d really like to see it. thumbs up

In reply to # 3889790 by B-racer I can't find a pic, but a roller lifter camshaft is the best homemade part I've added to my MGB. In all honesty, someone else ground a blank I sent them, but I'll take credit for the design and install.

. . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . .
. .
. .
. .

rocannon Avatar
rocannon Platinum Member Frank .
Clairvius Narcisse Township, Bokor, St. Kitts and Nevis   KNA
1967 MG MGB GT "GT From Hell"
1980 MG MGB "Restored By Photoshop Inc."
eye popping smiley

In reply to # 3889813 by nickj I made a new frame and body for the '72. Also homemade seats, suspension control arms, and dashboard. Everything else is pretty much stock.
(Emphasis added. Ed.)

. . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . .
. .
. .
. .

Cmpozr Avatar
Cmpozr Ray Weidner
Forest, VA, USA   USA
Had an old gas cap, so I "welded" it over the plastic oil filler cap.

74 Chrome Bumper MGB
71 Triumph TR-6 (original owner)

"Every LBC is a rolling restoration."
"These are the cars that try men's souls."
"The past is a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there."

Attachments:
0301181140 (1).jpg    35.3 KB
0301181140 (1).jpg

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster