w650gb500 Avatar
w650gb500 Dan Lipperini Jr
Dallas, PA, USA   USA
1963 Chevrolet Corvette
1979 MG MGB V8 Conversion
1989 Honda MC GB500 "Tourist Trophy"
1990 Mazda Miata "Mongrel"    & more
In reply to # 3887437 by MG Logic
In reply to # 3887195 by w650gb500 Well, it’s on the car but I don’t like the stainless hardware. I just ordered “black oxide” buttonhead stainless washers and screws, so the will all blend in much better. Now I need to find a grille.....

Looking good! I am about to do the same job - do you have any tips? Your fit looks correct.

I would love to give a full write-up on the install, but I purchased it used, so it was a pretty good fit to start with. I did some trimming around the sides, but it was damn near a bolt-on project. It is a Moss sourced valance if that helps, but if I didn’t find this one, I was all set to buy one from Dave Craddock at Preform Resources http://www.preformresources.com , as I’ve heard nothing but great things about their products and how well they fi. I will be purchasing their rear RB valance in a few weeks when I get back from FL and will post pictures and a write-up about installing it.

Dan Lipperini Jr

1978 MGB 3.5 Rover V-8
Rotus(Lotus 7 replica) powered by Mazda 13-B turbo
1993 Corvette “Kart” scratch build
1963 Corvette Grand Sport Roadster “tribute”
1989 Honda GB-500

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
MG Logic Phil Pierce
Newtown, CT, USA   USA
Dan,

Thanks for the reply. I have the Moss one as well. Haven't started the fitting process yet as I am waiting for warm weather before cutting the supports back in order to paint them. FYI, my understanding is Dave Craddock may be having health issues so not sure if he is making or shipping parts right now. I would prefer his rear valance as well.

1987FXRP Avatar
1987FXRP Silver Member Jim Graves
Atlanta, GA, USA   USA
1976 MG MGB "Jesse"
I learn something new every time I work on my B. I am in process of replacing seals and painting my engine along with all of the other stuff that an engine/tranny pull involves. When I looked at the timing chain tensioner it looked like it did not have a spring in it as it was not against the chain. I ordered a new one from Moss then I researched it on this site and found out that the spring had to be released with an allen wrench. I went to my workbench and sure enough, the spring was there but had not been released by the PO. Well, I'm only out a little over $8.00 for the part! Here are a couple of pictures of my clean but not painted engine.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_1876.JPG    52.6 KB
IMG_1876.JPG

IMG_1877.JPG    61.9 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
offroad4ever Avatar
offroad4ever Silver Member Chuck W.
Willamette Valley, OR, USA   USA
1979 MG MGB
Nice 79, tbest! Like the hard top too.

Installed the Pieces of Eight hood struts today, huge improvement over the single standard locking strut. Opens nicely, with a cushion stop at full open. Pulls down easily, and will shut and latch if you let go about a foot from up from closed. Looking forward to installing the rear struts, but carpeting the trunk and looking for a new boot lid before getting that done.

Cold and rainy/snowy here, good day to get some things done on the B.

79 LE w/OD, HS 4 SU's,
D9, Schlemmerized Dist.

Cornfgl Avatar
Cornfgl Graham Cornford
Bellville, TX, USA   USA
1974 MG MGB GT V8 "Goose Poop"
Chuck,

I am interested in Rick Ingram's struts as well, but I am not sure they will fit on my car, a RHD factory V8.

If you still have them, any chance of putting a copy of the fitting instructions here, so i can check the measurements to see if the struts will clear the remote servo on the left, and the pedal box, fuse box and relays on the right.

Thanks very much.

mgcyclo Avatar
mgcyclo Tim Rich
Township of Washinghton, NJ, USA   USA
Changed oil and filter.

offroad4ever Avatar
1979 MG MGB
In reply to # 3888929 by Cornfgl Chuck,

I am interested in Rick Ingram's struts as well, but I am not sure they will fit on my car, a RHD factory V8.

If you still have them, any chance of putting a copy of the fitting instructions here, so i can check the measurements to see if the struts will clear the remote servo on the left, and the pedal box, fuse box and relays on the right.

Thanks very much.

Graham - I'll upload some pics and the dimensional part of the instructions later. In general terms, the body mounted bracket goes just towards the nose from the 4th fender bolt from the engine bay. So count out from the back of the engine bay (near the windsheild) 4 bolts, and the bracket is mounted just towards the front from there. The one on the hood is located just under the weld seam, which seems very close to the hinge point but it works perfect.

PS - Bellville should be good driving weather this time of the year. Miss the winters in TX.

79 LE w/OD, HS 4 SU's,
D9, Schlemmerized Dist.

offroad4ever Avatar
1979 MG MGB
Graham -

Pics of the mounts and the LH strut installed. It's a nice install, Rick has put together a complete package. Same mount is used on the hood.

79 LE w/OD, HS 4 SU's,
D9, Schlemmerized Dist.

Attachments:
RH hood strut.jpg    38.3 KB
RH hood strut.jpg

LH strut SV.jpg    36.7 KB
LH hood strut.jpg    46.1 KB
Cornfgl Avatar
Cornfgl Graham Cornford
Bellville, TX, USA   USA
Thanks for that Chuck,

I will have a look see if they will fit without much movement of ancillaries, a tad later today when I get to the garage.

Yes, winter in Texas is normally good, when I usually come out of shorts for a couple of weeks around now. However, this year has been different. I have been in long pants since the middle of October, and even for me, originally from the UK, it has been cold here from then, and still is. This is the coldest, wettest, most misty and damp winter since my transplant here 13 years ago.

Being away from the big cities, we do have some great undulating minor roads that suit the MG, and me, which, although she can easily keep up with freeway traffic speeds, it is more rewarding, driving fast, but safely, along a bendy road.

Having a GT, with the sunshine roof open, which it usually is, is still OK in the cold with a good heater, with a 195 deg thermostat, which I have.

tbest Avatar
tbest Ted Best
Clinton, NC, USA   USA
MG Newbie here. My 79MGB was looking a little dirty after getting back from the mechanic.....so I took it to the Touch Free car wash.

FAIL...Did not even consider how water tight the hard top under a high pressure wash ......... After taking out the seats....finishing up with the wet vac....I now have fans blowing to finish off the drying process.

new rule....HAND WASH every time smiling smiley

Attachments:
IMG_1385.JPG    57.3 KB
IMG_1385.JPG

jimandcassdavis Avatar
jimandcassdavis Silver Member Jim Davis
Swanton, OH, USA   USA
Ted-
Definitely not like a new car! The early Sprite/Midget's actually had a drain hole in the floor pans to let out accumulated water.

Cornfgl Avatar
Cornfgl Graham Cornford
Bellville, TX, USA   USA
Fitted remote terminals under the bonnet/hood at the right side front, to make it easier to jump start the car, if needing power for whatever, or jumping another vehicle from "Goose Poop".

I used 4 gauge welding wire, taking the supply from a terminal connector on the cable between the battery and starter motor. It is located between the clutch slave cylinder, and the right side chassis rail close to the starter solenoid. The new cable is terminated at the back of the new terminals. I could not get onto the starter solenoid, as there is a heat shield in the way, which was a pig to fit in the first place.

I could have used just the positive terminal and hooked onto lots of places for the earth/ground, but as the terminals on eBay came in pairs, I thought that I would fit both which should perhaps make it easier and am pleased with the result.

Next job now, will be to fit relays to run the headlights as DRLs, then headlights, horn, brake lights and heater fan relays, and we should be good to go anywhere.

Attachments:
image.jpeg    37.4 KB
image.jpeg

GTMattZ Avatar
GTMattZ Matt Zimmerman
Winnemucca NV, USA   USA
1980 MG MGB "Blue RB"
Been working on my B that has sat in my garage for the last 12 years waiting for me to decide what I was going to do with it...

I had pulled the engine/transmission with the intention of fixing some leaky seals and refreshing the clutch and replacing the horrible 1980 intake/exhaust thing. Then with the engine out the 15 year old in me started having ideas of filling that hole with something a little more... well more? At first it was a reasonable V6 swap, then after a few years it became an LS swap. Then I started eyeballing old Z engines for the cool factor. Etc.. For 12 years. During that time I fixed up another little car I had on hand because I wanted to save the B and 'Do it Right' (whatever that meant...). So i fixed up that car and drove it to death and it is now literally falling apart due to years of abuse well beyond the 'recycle by' date.

Anyhow I need a car, and I need it somewhat fast and I decided I should just put the weber 32/36 from my dying car on to the B engine with a cheap manifold and header. So This weekend I have been doing some work on the car, freezing my butt off in my un-insulated garage (its 35 out there right now...). So far I have remove the old manifold thing and set it aside, looked down the sooty holes and not seen anything interesting, so I just set the new manifold and header on with hand tight bolts to keep the holes from getting crap in them.

With the manifolds placed on the head the difference in the thickness between the Pierce manifold and the Pacesetter header is very evident, but I have already solved that problem so had moved on to cleaning up the other side of the engine. I started by getting all of the air injector fittings loose (so that I could replace them with pretty stainless steel plugs), and when I went to remove bolt holding the bracket I put a little effort on it without thinking and the whole thing broke loose at the head, not the braket.,.,

So now I am sitting here looking at this stupid bracket flopping around on the head nut thinking to myself (boy that nut sure looks like it holds the head on...)... So I go find the correct wrench and get the bracket off the thing. As easy as it turned, I really am not sure that nut was properly tight in the first place, which would go along with all of the manifold bolts, which were also just barely tight enough to seal the gasket, i think... they felt pretty loose, which would explain why the car was running so poorly when I pulled the engine (I had put maybe 600 miles on the car since I bought it, the PO had the car worked on less than 100 miles prior... Do bolts loosen on their own while the engine sits on a tire under a pile of cardboard for 12 years???).

Now... do I re-torque it and hope everything is happy... Or do I pull the head off now while I am still taking things apart and making my parts list... The engineer in me says to at least get a new head gasket and any required other things and at least replace it, due to the things I am finding as I get the engine ready to re-install. The other part of me wants to just re-torque everything and try to get it running and worry about it later..

That is pretty much where I am at. My corn dogs are still sitting in the microwave because I guess I needed to write a novel, but I think I will eat those corn dogs now and get back to work...

offroad4ever Avatar
1979 MG MGB
Like the terminal location Graham, that's on my list this winter also. I was thinking lower in the fender well though, with the 4 cyl I probably have more room there than yours though. Super clean engine bay it looks like. Do like the thru the fender terminals better than what I had planned -

I like the wood inlays on the dash of your 79, tbest!

Busy installing carpet in the trunk on mine this weekend and tonight. Hope to collect a couple more parts needed tomorrow, weather permitting -

79 LE w/OD, HS 4 SU's,
D9, Schlemmerized Dist.

w650gb500 Avatar
w650gb500 Dan Lipperini Jr
Dallas, PA, USA   USA
1963 Chevrolet Corvette
1979 MG MGB V8 Conversion
1989 Honda MC GB500 "Tourist Trophy"
1990 Mazda Miata "Mongrel"    & more
Replaced the stainless valance mounting bolts with black oxide/ss bolts and I like the look much better. I’m not sure whether to change the brake duct to black also at this point.

When I stood back and looked at the front end, it seemed like it needed a pair of driving lights. I have 3 sets of lights on the shelf from the Lotus 7 builds. The 6” ones didn’t look right, but not totally out of the question. These 4” units fit nicely between the hood and valance, so I drilled and mounted them. Just not sure where to locate them. Maybe closer to the center? Mounted completely forward of the grille and valance?

After the lights were in, again I stood back to take a look. I decided to add an oil cooler, a bunch of anodized fittings and stainless steel lines. Picked-up the new Mishimoto oil cooler and enough -AN fittings to get the job done tomorrow(if time allows).

After the lights and oil cooler are in, I will decide on which grille to use. I’m thinking the ‘73-‘74.5 honeycomb style?

Dan Lipperini Jr

1978 MGB 3.5 Rover V-8
Rotus(Lotus 7 replica) powered by Mazda 13-B turbo
1993 Corvette “Kart” scratch build
1963 Corvette Grand Sport Roadster “tribute”
1989 Honda GB-500

Attachments:
C01842D2-C65E-4F94-A198-2103AF034EB6.jpeg    43.7 KB
C01842D2-C65E-4F94-A198-2103AF034EB6.jpeg

E9B6FA72-AD33-4BA3-95F1-E47C3B7858E7.jpeg    47.6 KB
42B2298D-59A2-4DBC-B8FF-44B18CC19A6A.jpeg    45.2 KB

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster