Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

narrowgauger Bernard Snoodyk
Myrtleford, Vic, Australia   AUS
HI there

you should be able to turn the air cleaner through 90 degrees, i.e. the long side parallel to the car, to obtain the correct clearance. Had the same problem on a Weber carb on a 1963 B

have fun
Bernard S

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
RichardTS Avatar
RichardTS Richard Smith
Covington, LA, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB "The MG"
Probably a reason similar to why BMW might use a paper element oil filter inside a can upside down with a bolt on the end like 65 year old American cars on a 2006 M3 engine.

I suspect there is a small supplier in the UK that either makes or used to make these who needed to stay in business.

In reply to # 3882883 by NDCMGB I have worked on cars made all over the world and I never understood why the Brits used those stupid bullet style connectors. They are so prone to tarnishing , getting dirt or god forbid paint in them. They get loose or are easily pulled apart when some one accidentally pulls them when working on something else.

Mark W Avatar
Mark W Mark Weiss
Chandler, AZ, USA   USA
Replaced my windshield wipers. Trico 33-130. Perfect fit for a GT. Now I have to decide if I am going to paint the arms to match the new blades or the other way 'round.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
FrankMGBGuy Avatar
FrankMGBGuy Rudy D
Surrey, BC, Canada   CAN
Welded up minor tears in the lower front valance & straightened it out so it will last a couple more years. Also paint prepping some areas in the inner wing prior to refreshing the tar undercoating.

1972 MG B GT. A running work in progress.

Flitzer Avatar
Flitzer Gold Member Joe V
Madison, AL, USA   USA
1975 MG MGB "Siddle IV"
2010 Porsche Boxster "Flitzer"
I took the steering wheel off my 75 MGB to recover it with leather. Initially I could not get the steering wheel off but then I checked the forum (lots of information about removing steering wheels) and found John Twist's method. It worked like a charm! This forum is so good! Joe

Brightguy Avatar
Brightguy David Sippola
Lawrenceburg, IN, USA   USA
1976 MG MGB MkIII "TBD"
Yesterday it was 10˚ F out in the garage, I just had to see if the B would start. It took ever so slightly more cranking and she fired right up. Whooose a good B, that's right your a good B.

Mr Creosote Avatar
Mr Creosote Dennis C
Visalia, CA, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB
I went out in the garage and it was 65˚ F. The B fired right up. Drove it around the neighborhood a bit to get it to operating temp and parked it back in the garage. I almost needed a jacket.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-01 09:23 PM by Mr Creosote.

Regan Littlewood Avatar
Auckland, New Zealand   NZL
Took my 71 BGT to get her road legal this morning, and apparently my seatbelts need to be certified because they are apparently not standard. They're nothing different from usual, just Securon inertia belts mounted on the rear wheel arches, sills and trans. tunnel... I think the inspector needs to learn a few things about older cars! not every car had belts from new!!

Brightguy Avatar
Brightguy David Sippola
1976 MG MGB MkIII "TBD"
Dennis C I moved from CA in 1995, after this weeks weather the wisdom of that decision is in question. Oh, and thanks for the salt.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-02 07:36 AM by Brightguy.

billyearljr Will S
St. Augustine, FL, USA   USA
1972 MG Midget MkIII "Abbie"
Installed the new turn signal lights on the front. Then took my son for a drive. His smile was the best reward for all the work we've done.

mvheim Avatar
mvheim Silver Member Mark Heim
CA, USA   USA
1966 MG MGB "Uroboros"
Installed a new fuel sender from The Roadster Factory. Now I have a working fuel gauge. Also installed a map pocket from another MGE member (thanks, Brando!). Then I took my wife shopping in the B (probably for the first time ever).

Max Heim
'66 MGB California Melee 2006 & 2014 (passed along to another enthusiast)
'66 MGB (just launched)

Tony3251 Avatar
Tony3251 Antony Knight
Glasgow, UK   GBR
1971 MG MGB
Winter lay off time in Scotland, snow, ice and rain and absolutely freezing. Can not wait for April and hopefully dry sunny weather....I can but hope!

I always lay the car up from late October until April (at the latest hopefully) in the heated garage. Temptation always gets the better of me as I am sure you all experience the same vibe...oh I could just.....leads to so much more!!!

So the list starts with the overdrive and the fresh oil around the solenoid plate. Time to strip out and stop. So after researching on here, I replace the solenoid O rings and cleanall the bits and pieces. Drop the gearbox oil and fit new gasket to plate. Refill gearbox once everything gets cleaned and refitted. Also fitted fresh new earth lead strap from gearbox to body.

Next I tackled the front suspension as I had purchased all the parts after convincing myself that I would do it one day so how clever was I have have it al in stock....well it works for me but cannot say my Wife agrees. I had before the lay up felt a slight thud like noise when pulling away whilst the front had always looked a little low at the front too although it handled so well. So started on the offside and stripped everything out. Firstly I found the restorer back in 1999/2000 had fitted poly bushes everywhere, 3/4 inch anti roll bar and 2” lower front springs. The car is also fitted with Spax shock absorbers alround. I was happy that everything bar the wishbone arms looked fine and probably should given the carhas only done 29,000 miles since 2000. The wishbone arms had ovaled the holes and this is what I feel will be the cause of the thud noise.

I fitted new Super Pro blue bushing, new wishbone arms, top and bottom Trunnion kits, bump stops, drop links, track rod ends, standard springs and various new stainless steel washers and nuts. I refurbished the wishbone support arm and spring pan by stripping, priming and finished in gloss black. The kingpins get fully greased every 500 miles and just needed cleaning and repainting. Finally I took the opportunity to strip out the front discs to repack the front wheel bearings with fresh grease. The offside is now finished and the near side is totally stripped out awaiting the same as above commencing next Thursday.

I also cleaned down the offside front and rear inner wheel arch areas and reapplied clear Waxoil, just the floor pan area under the car to do before completing the near side.

Please note. The first picture is prior to refurbishment. The next two do not have the roll bar refitted but near completion.

God I love MG’s and thank you to everyone on here who dedicate so much time and knowledge advising and helping others, without you all I would struggle.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-03 07:32 AM by Tony3251.

Attachments:
C9BA73BA-1313-441D-BA87-E0E9A9E382AF.jpeg    37.4 KB
C9BA73BA-1313-441D-BA87-E0E9A9E382AF.jpeg

6C82A4F5-FF02-490D-A876-F85EF65ADD49.jpeg    65 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
F20639DD-68D7-4E6C-AA70-42AD94B37175.jpeg    52 KB
Flitzer Avatar
Flitzer Gold Member Joe V
Madison, AL, USA   USA
1975 MG MGB "Siddle IV"
2010 Porsche Boxster "Flitzer"
75 MGB: I removed both seats and replaced the tired seat webbing on both. Not an easy task but I got better at it as I went along. I just finished reinstallation and the seats don't sag like before and ride better too. I also finished installation of the leather wheel cover and put the steering wheel back on today. All is well. Thanks Basil. Joe

NDCMGB Noah C
Madeira Beach, USA   USA
Cleaned the top (Hood) on my '77 after driving around for a bit. Repaired the Cut in the top of my "76 that the PO had put some goo and clear vinyl tape over the cut on the outside.. It looked like hell So.
1. I removed said vinyl tape and goo.
2. I got out the needle and thread and sewed the cut closed.
3. Applied clear silicon caulk sparingly on the inside over the sewn area to waterproof and then patched the inside with Black cloth tape..
4. Started the cleaning process on the Top, It will take a few days as there is some kind of sticky residue on the rear window. So I will have to do multiple applications of Plastic X to clean them.

Brightguy Avatar
Brightguy David Sippola
1976 MG MGB MkIII "TBD"
What a nice day, after the fog lifted (man it lifted late). Went on a little top down excursion and stopped to pick up dinner. Tonights Beer/Food pairing Pizza King Mighty Meat and Fat Head IPA. I did take my jacket Mr.Creosote and I did need the use of it. Some of them hollars got pretty cold.

In reply to # 3884517 by Mr Creosote I went out in the garage and it was 65˚ F. The B fired right up. Drove it around the neighborhood a bit to get it to operating temp and parked it back in the garage. I almost needed a jacket.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-03 09:23 PM by Brightguy.

Attachments:
IMG_3184.jpg    70.1 KB
IMG_3184.jpg

IMG_3185.jpg    64 KB
IMG_3186.jpg    53.7 KB
IMG_0565.jpg    59.8 KB

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster