Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

stone4140 Daniel Schuler
Caledonia, NY, USA   USA
1978 MG MGB
Is there a way to tell other than crawling in the snow (for the OD)? The car is near my work and I'm in my work clothes.

In reply to # 3908081 by DBGaither There's a switch where the overdrive switch goes - but there's no visible OD relay or early vacuum switch that I could see in the engine bay. So there *may* be an OD, that's worth $600 by itself. If you're going to part it out, you should be able to get $100 for the dashboard.

-Doug

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
Noble66 Avatar
Noble66 Gold Member Noble Bradford
Orlando, FL, USA   USA
1964 MG MGB "Black Betty"
1969 MG MGC GT
1974 MG MGB "Whitey"
In reply to # 3908086 by stone4140 Is there a way to tell other than crawling in the snow (for the OD)? The car is near my work and I'm in my work clothes.

In reply to # 3908081 by DBGaither There's a switch where the overdrive switch goes - but there's no visible OD relay or early vacuum switch that I could see in the engine bay. So there *may* be an OD, that's worth $600 by itself. If you're going to part it out, you should be able to get $100 for the dashboard.

-Doug

No overdrive. The gear shift is a clear indicator. OD gear shifts are straight and sit to the rear of the chrome trim piece.

Yes No Thank
rocannon Avatar
rocannon Platinum Member Frank .
Clairvius Narcisse Township, Bokor, St. Kitts and Nevis   KNA
1967 MG MGB GT "GT From Hell"
1980 MG MGB "Restored By Photoshop Inc."
Why’d the mech buy it?

- .- -. ... - .- .- ..-. .-.. -.-.--

Krishnamurti: “It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.”

Sententia est fallacia; credere durum praecipitatum omnia inanis.

Yes No Thank
stone4140 Daniel Schuler
Caledonia, NY, USA   USA
1978 MG MGB
It's been out back of his place for over a year. I looked at it before I bought my 78 and knew it was beyond what I wanted to undertake. He told me he got it at auction on a whim and that he may fix it up. He has quite a few projects going. I went in for an oil change today and asked what he would want for it. He showed me the auction slip $500 for the sale and $100 for the auction house. He said it's yours for what I paid. I'll probably bring it home tomorrow and do a good overall power wash and see what I'm working with. My guess is the floor boards are shot, despite my quick initial look over. I may have him put it on a lift to get a better idea. He treats me well and I'd like something to happen with the car. Last few pics and then I'll probably start posting stuff in the sell forum in a bit of time.

Attachments:
IMG_5806.JPG    40.2 KB
IMG_5806.JPG

IMG_5815.JPG    40.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMG_5811.JPG    27.4 KB
IMG_5820.JPG    31.6 KB
Yes No Thank
stone4140 Daniel Schuler
Caledonia, NY, USA   USA
1978 MG MGB
Oh quick question. Odometer says 38K. Think this could actually be accurate?

Yes No Thank
dawvid Avatar
dawvid David B
Sharon, MA, USA   USA
Those early model B's had really good body build quality, much better than the later models and this looks to be no exception.

The gaps and panel alignment look good almost as if it's never been in an accident or mucked with.

It would be a shame to think about cutting it up without further investigation.

74 Damask Red BGT
Davesmg@outlook.com

Yes No Thank
V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN, USA   USA
Save it! And paint that valve cover back to the engine color.

Yes No Thank
mvheim Avatar
mvheim Silver Member Mark Heim
CA, USA   USA
1966 MG MGB "Uroboros"
The thing about "parting it out" is that you would have an undriveable, unrestorable hulk in your driveway for an indefinite period of time. Once the "good" parts are gone, the sales would slow to a trickle, at best. I actually think this car is restorable, and I'm a west coast guy — at least, it's better than the one I gave away last summer (it has a drivetrain and the body is straighter). I think your best plan would be to clean it up and sell it as a project car, complete, for probably the same money. But you should appropriate the valuable factory hardtop for yourself as a bonus.

The OD trans (if existing) in this car would not fit your rubber bumper car, so don't even get involved in that.

Max Heim
'66 MGB California Melee 2006 & 2014 (passed along to another enthusiast)
'66 MGB (just launched)

-1 Yes No Thank
LmBoise Avatar
LmBoise Gold Member Louis Miller
Boise, ID, USA   USA
1963 MG MGB
1977 MG MGB "Trouble"
If it is a Jaeger Speedometer I would be interested.

-1 Yes No Thank
stone4140 Daniel Schuler
Caledonia, NY, USA   USA
1978 MG MGB
Thanks fellas for all the advice. I'm definitely going to give it a hard look and post more before I decide what to do. I am encourged that so many feel it is a worthy project. I was hesitant to even post the pics winking smiley And I agree the time invested in parting it out would probably equate to getting it a bit nicer and selling it as a project. In the snow and with the trashed interior it's hard to get a good prospective in a few minutes. I'll sit back for a bit and send some updates once I get her home and hopefully on a lift.

In reply to # 3908297 by mvheim The thing about "parting it out" is that you would have an undriveable, unrestorable hulk in your driveway for an indefinite period of time. Once the "good" parts are gone, the sales would slow to a trickle, at best. I actually think this car is restorable, and I'm a west coast guy — at least, it's better than the one I gave away last summer (it has a drivetrain and the body is straighter). I think your best plan would be to clean it up and sell it as a project car, complete, for probably the same money. But you should appropriate the valuable factory hardtop for yourself as a bonus.

The OD trans (if existing) in this car would not fit your rubber bumper car, so don't even get involved in that.

Yes No Thank
V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN, USA   USA
In reply to # 3908297 by mvheim

AS Noble pointed out, it is not an OD car. I grew up with that bent shifter in my dad's '63.

Yes No Thank
Aridgerunner Avatar
Aridgerunner Silver Member Bill Bussler
Montoursville, PA, USA   USA
1956 MG MGA 1500 "The A"
1959 Triumph TR3A "The Mistress"
Please don't part it out. Flat dash cars are getting hard to find.

Yes No Thank
Triumphant66 Avatar
Triumphant66 Kent C
Richmond, VA, USA   USA
1956 Austin-Healey 100M "ParisieM"
1963 MG MGB
1964 MG MGB "Nanette"
1966 Austin-Healey 3000 BJ8    & more
You cannot go wrong for $600 with the hardtop. Sell that, then try to find someone that will bring it back. These early cars are just special. I love my '64 and drive it the most. If you do part it out, please let me know. I'm interestedin several items besides the top.

Kent

My first LBC: 1969 MGB purchased in July 1977 in Richmond, VA somewhere in the Fan District. OO get in touch?.

Yes No Thank
cunhab Avatar
cunhab Bruce Cunha
Placerville, CA, USA   USA
1950 MG TD
1967 MG MGB GT
No OD. Look at the shift lever.

Yes No Thank
sweep Avatar
sweep Gold Member Chris W
Gosford, NSW, Australia   AUS
1966 MG MGB "Basil"
2013 Volkswagen Tiguan
2015 Audi A3
Not always!

In reply to # 3908384 by cunhab No OD. Look at the shift lever.

The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.

To the intelligent person, life appears infinitely mysterious, but the stupid have an answer for everything.

Day Dreamers, don't discourage them. That's where original thought comes from.

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster