AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Urethane air dam
  This topic is about my 1973 MG MGB GT
David H Avatar
Ellensburg, WA, USA   USA
Hello there,

Has anyone purchased a urethane air dam recently? I’ve searched around and haven’t seen any recent posts about them.
I have found them at Victoria British and at Jegs. Jegs being the cheaper option.

I assume these are the same part, I doubt there are multiple manufacturers.

Any experiences with these parts recently? How do they fit? Cautions? Etc.

Thanks,

David

1973 MGB GT

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
warekl Avatar
warekl Silver Member Keith Ware
White Bear Lake Mn, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB GT
1979 MG MGB
Not recent, but I'm assuming they are the same as the old MOSS offering which fits and works very well....

USMC ... Semper Fi
79 RB Lowered, HS4s by Dave Braun & "Schlemmerized" 25D Dizzy, 9.5:1 CR, Mild Performance Cam, 18V with OD Tranny.

73 GT in Black Tulip

Yes No Thank
David H Avatar
In reply to # 3901836 by warekl Not recent, but I'm assuming they are the same as the old MOSS offering which fits and works very well....

That’s what I’m hoping for as well.

David

1973 MGB GT

Yes No Thank
DrewM Avatar
DrewM Drew Maddock
74 MGB roadster, Southern California, USA   USA
I bought the large fiberglass air dam first, but realized it was just too massive for my taste. Then I purchased the urethane one from Moss and love it. It's flexible enough to not be affected by an occasional scrape from pavement now and again. It was part of my attempt to stabilize the front of the car which was lifting too much at higher speeds. The air dam plus a set of Minator-like wheels to replace the Rostyle wheels seems to have done that just fine. And it looks good even without paint on my white car. I can recommend the Moss urethane air dam but I don't know anything about the others. But it's easy enough to return them before you install them if they seem too lightweight or have other problems.

Drew Maddock, So. Calif. USofA

+2 Yes No Thank
  David H thanked DrewM for this post
Fairfield, CA, USA   USA
I bought one that Moss offered maybe 10-12 years ago. I had noticed that on a high-speed run (dang near flat out) on a section of I5 south of Stockton the car liked to wander far more than I was comfortable with at 100 mph.

I bought an air dam. Took off the front bumper, saw that the front valance was all banged up from speed bumps and the like. Took off the valance, cut it in two and tossed it into the recycle bin. Offered up the center of the dam to the hole the valence used in the center, then started mounting it to each side. IIRC I did have to drill a couple of holes but nothing major. Re-mounted the bumper and the result looks well and performs very well, no more wandering at inappropriate speeds.

In the years since it has withstood large speed bumps, parking curbs, and many other hits that would have demolished a fiberglass "spoiler" and fully justifying the extra cost of this durable and functional attachment.

Looks good, too.

1973 Pale Primrose Roadster. A nice 10-footer!
SUs, Datsun 5-speed

Attachments:
mk1 grill.jpg    55.5 KB
mk1 grill.jpg

+1 Yes No Thank
  David H thanked mac townsend for this post
oleanderjoe Avatar
oleanderjoe Gold Member Joseph Baba
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
DONE at least four MOSS ones. Needs a NUT BOLT screw at the outermost corner if I remember right. Two were painted Body color. Came out nice.

In reply to # 3902093 by David H
In reply to # 3901836 by warekl Not recent, but I'm assuming they are the same as the old MOSS offering which fits and works very well....

That’s what I’m hoping for as well.

IN ALL SUBJECTS.: For those who believe, no proof is needed. For those who don’t believe, no proof is possible.

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough"
Sir Henry Royce
co-founder of Rolls Royce .

"BENJAMIN FRANKLIN" >>(Expanded) The bitterness of poor quality (or Crappy Workmenship) remains LONG AFTER the Sweet Taste of Low Price is forgotten.

Member Services:
+1 Yes No Thank
  David H thanked oleanderjoe for this post
David H Avatar
I ordered one from Jegs today. I’ll keep this updated with how the quality is and how the install goes.

David

1973 MGB GT

Yes No Thank
warekl Avatar
1973 MG MGB GT
1979 MG MGB
Sweet, I'm looking at buying another for my GT....

In reply to # 3902655 by David H I ordered one from Jegs today. I’ll keep this updated with how the quality is and how the install goes.

USMC ... Semper Fi
79 RB Lowered, HS4s by Dave Braun & "Schlemmerized" 25D Dizzy, 9.5:1 CR, Mild Performance Cam, 18V with OD Tranny.

73 GT in Black Tulip

Yes No Thank
David H Avatar
If you do buy one get one from Jegs and put it in your shopping cart and wait a day. Fill out the info but no payment info and they will send you a coupon to save even more money. My total was only $156 shipped.

In reply to # 3902670 by warekl Sweet, I'm looking at buying another for my GT....

In reply to # 3902655 by David H I ordered one from Jegs today. I’ll keep this updated with how the quality is and how the install goes.

David

1973 MGB GT

Yes No Thank
arnolda Avatar
arnolda Arnold Adams
Vancouver, WA, USA   USA
I installed a Moss unit on my 80B this year. I was not sure how well it would fit at the edges when offered up by hand.

Once installation began, at the center working out to each edge, the fit was very good. I did add a washer under the screw in front and a spring nut behind the valance as added precaution.

Attachments:
Air Dam install complete.JPG    39.4 KB
Air Dam install complete.JPG

Yes No Thank
warekl Avatar
1973 MG MGB GT
1979 MG MGB
Arnold,
Is that one flexible? Can you bend and twist it, roll it up? The urethane one is pretty much flat and straight down rather than having a forward slanted lip..

In reply to # 3902787 by arnolda I installed a Moss unit on my 80B this year. I was not sure how well it would fit at the edges when offered up by hand.

Once installation began, at the center working out to each edge, the fit was very good. I did add a washer under the screw in front and a spring nut behind the valance as added precaution.

USMC ... Semper Fi

73 GT in Black Tulip

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-04 09:14 PM by warekl.

Yes No Thank
arnolda Avatar
arnolda Arnold Adams
Vancouver, WA, USA   USA
Keith,

The urethane air dam (Moss LE unit) is flexible to a point. Because it is molded (my guess) you can twist it some and bend it some to conform to the valance as you are installing it.

I would not try to roll it up for fear of breaking it.

Because this unit fits up under the bumper I could not reach a drill high enough to install so had to remove the front bumper.

Arnold

Yes No Thank
warekl Avatar
1973 MG MGB GT
1979 MG MGB
Arnold,
Mine looks different than yours, pretty much vertical, an air dam rather than a chin spoiler,,,, I can actually roll it up if I wanted to. It's what MOSS sold as the urethane air dam. I like yours, could you hit a parking barrier and have it bend out of the way?

USMC ... Semper Fi

73 GT in Black Tulip

Attachments:
mgb front.JPG    31.3 KB
mgb front.JPG

Yes No Thank
arnolda Avatar
arnolda Arnold Adams
Vancouver, WA, USA   USA
My spoiler will clear parking lot bumpers.

It also looks like it sits higher off the ground than yours.

Arnold

Yes No Thank
CountBasey Avatar
CountBasey Silver Member Thomas Basey
Brunswick, OH, USA   USA
1976 MG Midget 1500 "Opus"
Arnold looks like he has the LE spoiler, probably the ABS plastic one. It gives a little, but a good knock into something and it can crack. Definitely won’t twist. I know because I bought one, heated it and molded it to fit my Midget (pic below).

Thomas (Count) Basey

Attachments:
B0862758-722A-40C2-A8DC-0D1229E1D721.jpeg    49.3 KB
B0862758-722A-40C2-A8DC-0D1229E1D721.jpeg

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster