The all-new Front Page News Feed is now live!
MGExp

MGB & GT Forum

Urethane air dam

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

lewk Avatar
lewk Silver Member Keith Lewis
Cambridge, ON, Canada   CAN
I always thought the Special Edition chin spoiler and the air dam in post #13, looked a little bulky, front heavy if you will. Then I spotted the "Richard Grant" chin spoiler from the '70s and thought it much more amenable to the front of a RBB car. I put mine on about 3 years ago now and like the look. Mine is reinforced fiberglass.

This is simply preference. My motto when it comes to our cars is each to his, or her own.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-07 09:22 AM by lewk.

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member

Attachments:
IMG_3465.JPG    50.9 KB
IMG_3465.JPG

IMG_3470.JPG    46.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
Fairfield, CA, USA   USA
the urethane unit will hit a speed bump and not shatter. It will spring back. It is, in effect, a form of rubber. But it does not fold away under any speed an MGB can attain.

1973 Pale Primrose Roadster. A nice 10-footer!
SUs, Datsun 5-speed

Yes No Thank
David H Avatar
Ellensburg, WA, USA   USA
The urethane air dam arrived today.
I ordered it through Jegs website on March 4. It was shipped via FedEx from Anaheim CA on March 8. Arrived today, March 13, in Central Washington.

My observations as I unboxed it.
-It comes with instructions and hardware to attach/bolt it to the stock valance (requires drilling holes in stock valance). I sort of figured that may be the case and I already have a spare junk valance that I will be using.
-There are sanding marks over maybe a third of the air dam. This means I'll have to paint it, I don't want the sanding marks to be seen. It was advertised that it could be used as is, but it's not a uniform color with the sanding marks.
-It seems to be made pretty well. There aren't any gouges or damage that I can find (other than sanding marks which I will have to address when I paint it). It is stiffer than I imagined.

I'll be test fitting it today (if my son takes a nap...).

David

1973 MGB GT

Attachments:
IMG_1391.JPG    58.9 KB
IMG_1391.JPG

IMG_1392.JPG    23.7 KB
IMG_1388.JPG    52.4 KB
IMG_1390.JPG    48.8 KB
Yes No Thank
warekl Avatar
warekl Silver Member Keith Ware
White Bear Lake Mn, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB GT
1979 MG MGB
David,
I just removed my valence and drilled holes in the air dam to match those for the valence, then use stainless fender washers and allen screws...

USMC ... Semper Fi
79 RB Lowered, HS4s by Dave Braun & "Schlemmerized" 25D Dizzy, 9.5:1 CR, Mild Performance Cam, 18V with OD Tranny.

73 GT in Black Tulip

Yes No Thank
David H Avatar
So I got it mounted, for now. I used the valance mounting holes with the stock/junk valance that I had laying around.

With the stock valance behind it, the air dam is very stiff. It may be too stiff. I want some flex in it since it's urethane. I will take off the front valance and just mount the air dam to see how it feels.

Also, it may be the stock/junk valance or the air dam, but the air dam doesn't cover/reach all the way around the valance piece. You can see in the picture that the stock valance can be seen at the edges of the air dam. If the air dam is stiff enough without the stock valance, this isn't a problem. If it needs the valance, I will try to bend or cut the edges of the valance to hide it behind the air dam.

Overall, I am pleased with my purchase. I actually like it black so I'll just paint it black this spring, when the 8 inches of current snow goes away and it warms up.

David

1973 MGB GT

Attachments:
IMG_1393.JPG    40.2 KB
IMG_1393.JPG

IMG_1395.JPG    49.7 KB
IMG_1396.JPG    41.4 KB
IMG_1398.JPG    49.7 KB
Yes No Thank
David H Avatar
In reply to # 3908247 by warekl David,
I just removed my valence and drilled holes in the air dam to match those for the valence, then use stainless fender washers and allen screws...

Sounds like what I plan on trying next. Is it stiff enough? It doesn't seem to floppy?

David

1973 MGB GT

Yes No Thank
warekl Avatar
warekl Silver Member Keith Ware
White Bear Lake Mn, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB GT
1979 MG MGB
Really stiff, no problem there. Attaching it to the car helps to stiffen it...

In reply to # 3908254 by David H

Sounds like what I plan on trying next. Is it stiff enough? It doesn't seem to floppy?

USMC ... Semper Fi
79 RB Lowered, HS4s by Dave Braun & "Schlemmerized" 25D Dizzy, 9.5:1 CR, Mild Performance Cam, 18V with OD Tranny.

73 GT in Black Tulip

Yes No Thank
David H Avatar
No stock valance neededsmiling smiley Sweet! Works just fine and seems pretty stiff to me. Now to paint it in a couple weeks.

In reply to # 3908292 by warekl Really stiff, no problem there. Attaching it to the car helps to stiffen it...

In reply to # 3908254 by David H

David

1973 MGB GT

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster