Underbody

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Lonwuff Gerald Beach
NAMPA, ID, USA   USA
It would be great to see some underbody pics with work done to slow down rust.

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
+1 Yes No Thank
wrightgcbuilder Avatar
wrightgcbuilder Gold Member Dan Wright
North Platte, NE, USA   USA
3M Schutz on 64 MGB

Attachments:
64 B Undercoating with 3M Schutz 003.JPG    38.5 KB
64 B Undercoating with  3M Schutz 003.JPG

64 B Undercoating with 3M Schutz 004.JPG    38 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Yes No Thank
stagepony Avatar
stagepony Silver Member Jinno Louie
Dunedin, FL, USA   USA
1960 MG MGA "Roll-Roll"
2002 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner "Corporal Lane"
2018 Toyota RAV4 "Tooth Fairy"
Gerald,

Corrosion Free is a Canadian product that stops rust. Furthermore, it is clear so that you can see
progression or regression. The good thing is that it does work and it's toxic free.

I like the stuff because it's clear and doesn't cover up anything. Especially with vintage cars,
it's important that nothing is covered up with tar like substances. Keep it clear but at same time,
stop the rust.

https://corrosionfree.com/store/

Yes No Thank
Lonwuff Gerald Beach
NAMPA, ID, USA   USA
Did you sand or wire brush first and did it come in a rattle can? I know what you mean about the tar I worked for Ford when I was a kid and was the lucky one that was underneath spraying it on. My face and sideburns were always well insulated. Safety back then was for sissies. Yuck!

Yes No Thank
wrightgcbuilder Avatar
wrightgcbuilder Gold Member Dan Wright
North Platte, NE, USA   USA
If your question was about the Schutz, my 64 was media blasted, then epoxy primed, before shooting the Schutz with a special air paint gun.

I believe it also comes in a spray (likely for spot touch up), but I have to believe that would be very expensive. You'll have to keep moving fast applying this stuff.

Yes No Thank
riley1489 Avatar
riley1489 Gold Member Bruce H
Great White North, QC, Canada   CAN
1953 Jaguar XK120
1959 Riley 1.5 "King George"
1973 MG MGB
New metal then POR

B

Check your ego Amigo!

Attachments:
BH_floors_001.jpg    52.1 KB
BH_floors_001.jpg

+1 Yes No Thank
tahoe36c Avatar
tahoe36c Paul Hruza
Panama City, FL, USA   USA
1969 MG MGC GT "Little Red Rocket..."
1972 MG MGB GT "Tiny Dancer"
2002 Harley-Davidson Dyna
Some pics to show mine prepped & primed with PPG epoxy primer, then sprayed with U-POL Raptor Bedliner...

Highly recommended by the Jeep community due to how tough this stuff really is. Adhesion is great. You'd need a big hammer to remove it once cured and the texture is really nice...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-15 09:37 AM by tahoe36c.

Attachments:
Bottom Painted 03.JPG    49.3 KB
Bottom Painted 03.JPG

P1000977.JPG    47.1 KB
Bottom Painted 02.JPG    52.5 KB
Bottom Taped 02.JPG    41.6 KB
+1 Yes No Thank
KUttech Avatar
KUttech Kirk Uttech
Lake Mills, Wis, USA   USA
1964 MG MGB "KLRR B"
Scorpion bed liner

Attachments:
rot.jpg    38.3 KB
rot.jpg

+1 Yes No Thank
tahoe36c Avatar
tahoe36c Paul Hruza
Some close ups to show the texture...

Attachments:
Left Wheel Well 01.JPG    39.6 KB
Left Wheel Well 01.JPG

Left Wheel Well 02.JPG    38.9 KB
+1 Yes No Thank
Tony3251 Avatar
Tony3251 Antony Knight
Glasgow, UK   GBR
1971 MG MGB
Hi Gerald,

A different slant from meif I may.

My 71B was fully restored in 1998/99 and I brought it in Feb 2016. I have been lightly refreshing it since and am nearing the end now. I am keen to keeprust out as the wheel is rust free albeit some very light surface rust on the underside. I tend to go the route of cleaning small sections at a time, sand any light rust off, treatsith rust preventative, prime and top coat as required. I finish it off with Waxoil, 2 coats around u days apart.

I have found that by avoiding rain and wet/ dirty roads the underside does not deteriorate and so I can maintain very easily whilst preserving and keeping the B rust free.

I will post more photos asi get nearer and nearer to finishing the whole car.

Regards,

Antony

Attachments:
56CD23D5-EC36-432D-9BF4-34E57CE7EA87.jpeg    49.9 KB
56CD23D5-EC36-432D-9BF4-34E57CE7EA87.jpeg

5AC8A4EB-4C4C-4AA8-91AC-F93EE9D61BFB.jpeg    53.2 KB
28587978-D787-4876-B549-D4B6408A9A1A.jpeg    48.6 KB
80104831-90AE-4EE1-9DCE-725B8B59AA80.jpeg    61.9 KB
+1 Yes No Thank
NOHOME P P
O, ON, Canada   CAN
1967 MG MGB GT "Maggie (GT From Hell)"
In reply to # 3909110 by wrightgcbuilder If your question was about the Schutz, my 64 was media blasted, then epoxy primed, before shooting the Schutz with a special air paint gun.

I believe it also comes in a spray (likely for spot touch up), but I have to believe that would be very expensive. You'll have to keep moving fast applying this stuff.

This is the process I follow. The rocker-guard ( Shutz) can be painted over. The gun to spray the stuff is quite cheap , like $20 or so.

We all shoot the black rocker-guard underneath the car and many leave it at that. Another option is to think a bit outside of the box and shoot the white variant. Makes it much easier to light up the underside when forced to spend quality wrench time under there. I painted the firewall on my current project that way in case I find myself working under the dash in the future.

Course, I only figured that out after I had done the bottom in black like everyone else! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Plan B would be bedliner over the epoxy. Bedliner can be tinted to a lot of different colors.

Plan C would just be same paint as the rest of the car over the epoxy. Reality is that with the limited use the cars get, the bottom painted with epoxy and paint is going to outlast us. The other advantage of paint is that it is smooth and much easier to keep clean than the pebbled finish from the other coatings.

Pete

+1 Yes No Thank
Lonwuff Gerald Beach
NAMPA, ID, USA   USA
Impressive on all examples,they look better than new. I was surprised to see the rotisserie is only $900 although pricey for a 1 car restoration.

Yes No Thank
tahoe36c Avatar
tahoe36c Paul Hruza
Gerald,

I'm not sure where you saw $900 for a rotisserie... Mine was home made from two Harbor Freight engine stands ($60 each new) plus the price of buying two taller/heavier uprights to clear the ground when the car is rotated all 360 degrees and a long piece of U-channel to connect the stands when a car is on them. Total cost was less than $300...

Look for second hand stands and the other required attaching metal parts if possible. Buying new stuff to make one is a waste of cash.

I am not sure how well a Tourer balances out when connected to the front/rear bumper attachment points but my GT was pretty close to being balanced. The roof offsets the rest of the car and is actually a bit too heavy when it comes to Center of Gravity. Not hard to overcome however. I could rotate the car by myself all the way around.

Anyone who wants to do a total restoration (which I call a rebuild) needs a rotisserie to do it right.... thumbs up

Yes No Thank
NOHOME P P
O, ON, Canada   CAN
1967 MG MGB GT "Maggie (GT From Hell)"
In reply to # 3909333 by Lonwuff Impressive on all examples,they look better than new. I was surprised to see the rotisserie is only $900 although pricey for a 1 car restoration.

Rotisseries rock when doing all the stuff like under-car plumbing and exhaust fabrication. Built my own for way less than $900.

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster