AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

TRex73 Avatar
TRex73 Rex DeShon
Saint Joseph, MO, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB
Just picked up a new thermostat housing, gasket, and thermostat. Gasket looks to be a cork one, do I use a sealant?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
oleanderjoe Avatar
oleanderjoe Gold Member Joseph Baba
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
WELL: I just did one Thursday. I always use sealant. "JUST ME," A lot of people say NO. ?? I use "Permatex" #2A The Really Stinky Crap. Again, just my preference. It did not leak. smileys with beer

In reply to # 3888867 by TRex73 Just picked up a new thermostat housing, gasket, and thermostat. Gasket looks to be a cork one, do I use a sealant?

IN ALL SUBJECTS.: For those who believe, no proof is needed. For those who don’t believe, no proof is possible.

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough"
Sir Henry Royce
co-founder of Rolls Royce .

"BENJAMIN FRANKLIN" >>(Expanded) The bitterness of poor quality (or Crappy Workmenship) remains LONG AFTER the Sweet Taste of Low Price is forgotten.

Member Services:
Steven 67GT Avatar
Steven 67GT Steven Rechter
Jackson, CA, USA   USA
In reply to # 3888867 by TRex73 Gasket looks to be a cork one

Don't use the cork gasket, get this better quality Fel-Pro gasket from Orielly's (click on link below),

Like Joe says, put a light coating of Permatex #2 on the gasket, and on the base of the studs where they enter the head.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/fel-pro-3607/gaskets-25077/heat-transfer-and-climate-control-25079/thermostat-water-outlet-gasket-11350/6f30781f5d34/fel-pro-water-outlet-gasket/25583/4302759/1973/mg/mgb?q=thermostat+gasket&pos=12

Fairfield, CA, USA   USA
Moss has a beefier non-cork one (too bad it's only a couple bucks but 3-4x that for shipping). You can buy a gasket material at any parts store for a couple bucks that is non-cork and make one in a minute or two. The compressible cork pooches out and is easily damaged by even mild torque on the nuts.

1973 Pale Primrose Roadster. A nice 10-footer!
SUs, Datsun 5-speed

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Steven 67GT Avatar
Steven 67GT Steven Rechter
Jackson, CA, USA   USA
In reply to # 3888888 by mac townsend Moss has a beefier non-cork one

Moss is probably re-selling the Fel-Pro gasket.

ozieagle Avatar
ozieagle Gold Member Herb Adler
Geelong Victoria, Australia   AUS
1958 Wolseley 1500 "Wooly"
1966 MG MGB "Bl**dy B"
I use home made cork ones, with no problems.

Herb

Questions about prostate cancer? Click here to join the discussion

Donthuis Avatar
Donthuis Don van Riet
Rijswijk, ZH, Netherlands   NLD
No, any cork gasket being used to block fluid from escaping, being coolant or oil will swell and close any irregularities in the surfaces it sits between. This also means some minor sweating of this material is to be expected and nothing to worry about. A slight retorque of the nuts after one hearing cycle is enough and care should be taken not to exert too high a torque value for fear of breaking the stud(s). Grab a spanner not at its end but closer to the nut position is safest. Cork gaskets are best as single use types, because of this adapting to the surfaces and sweating behaviour, but their low price means this is just as well thumbs up

BTW some prefer non-sweating more expensive Klingersill gaskets, but these are harder and do not swell up as cork ones do. One easily overtightens the nuts with those. Cheapest of all are (or were) the traditional carton type gaskets, the factory originally used. Maybe these required sealant? I no longer use them on my B..

In reply to # 3888867 by TRex73 Just picked up a new thermostat housing, gasket, and thermostat. Gasket looks to be a cork one, do I use a sealant?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-10 06:35 AM by Donthuis.

blue64 Avatar
blue64 Paul Hanley
Eastern Chesapeake Bay, MD, USA   USA
Two of the studs protrude into the water jacket and thus, need a dab of sealant to prevent leaks coming up from the stud threads. I needed to allow the RTV silicone, applied to the stud's threads, to dry and thoroughly cure before reassembly--like 5 days to insure a good, permanent seal. I also use only the uprated gasket. Order a few for long term economy. Because I would like to be able to change out the thermostat if needed, I would not use sealant on the gasket as it would be near impossible to remove the elbow in the future. I usually need a rubber hammer to remove mine. I can't imagine trying to do it with glue applied. hth. Paul

3066james Avatar
3066james Gold Member Jim Cheatham
Amelia, VA, USA   USA
No sealant on cork gaskets, sealant on paper gaskets.

Jim

Ian Williams Avatar
Ian Williams Ian W
Chipping Longjourney, Toofarupnorth, UK   GBR
If the mating surfaces are flat and a new gasket used I don't use sealant....also a smear of grease so it can be dismantled with ease....

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster