AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

TRex73 Avatar
TRex73 Rex DeShon
Saint Joseph, MO, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB
I have gotten the thermostat housing off and don't see the blanking sleeve. Do I need it? I live in the mid west, in Missouri if that makes any difference.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Diver648 Gold Member Warren Siringer
Tucson, AZ, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB
1967 MG MGB GT
1969 MG MGB MkII
1971 MG MGB GT    & more
Without that or a thermostat, the coolant will flow through the radiator too fast for optimum cooling.

rrmgb Avatar
rrmgb Silver Member robert schau
Reston, VA., USA   USA
1973 MG MGB
1973 MG MGB
If you have a thermostatic switch operating, I'm not sure it is compatible with
a blanking sleeve. Somebody will know. smiling smiley

"It is a mistake to try to look too far ahead. The chain of destiny can only be grasped one link at a time."
Sir Winston Churchill
---------------------------------------------------------------
"It all starts in your mind's eye, then it goes to your heart
and finally to your very soul."
G.S.George PHD

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
blanking sleeve.JPG    50 KB
blanking sleeve.JPG

rcedward Avatar
rcedward Rob Edwards
Raleigh, NC, USA   USA
1951 MG TD MkII "TDC6000"
1969 MG MGB "182608"
1969 MG MGC GT "8651"
1969 MG MGC GT "8806"    & more
This subject comes up a lot here -- search and ye shall find!

You should be fine with just a thermostat and no blanking sleeve, but you'll probably be better still with both in installed. The sleeve will tend to reduce the amount of water that can bypass the thermostat when the 'stat is open, making sure that more goes through the radiator.

--
Rob Edwards
Raleigh, NC
http://www.mgcarz.com

If you're in NC, check out the North Carolina MG Car Club!
http://ncmgcc.org

"...good secondhand tools are much better than inferior new ones."

ozieagle Avatar
ozieagle Gold Member Herb Adler
Geelong Victoria, Australia   AUS
1958 Wolseley 1500 "Wooly"
1966 MG MGB "Bl**dy B"
I used a sleeve, once, but quickly got rid of it, as the engine took a very long time to warm up.

Herb

Questions about prostate cancer? Click here to join the discussion

riley1489 Avatar
riley1489 Gold Member Bruce H
Great White North, QC, Canada   CAN
1953 Jaguar XK120
1959 Riley 1.5 "King George"
1973 MG MGB
In reply to # 3888433 by TRex73 I have gotten the thermostat housing off and don't see the blanking sleeve. Do I need it? I live in the mid west, in Missouri if that makes any difference.

No you do not need it.

This blanking sleeve replaces the thermostat (never used in unison) and serves to block the bypass port in the cylinder head. (below) In doing so all the engine coolant will flow through the radiator , (unrestricted by thermostat) at all times.
This situation of course will extend the engine warm up duration, and the engine may never achieve ideal running temperature.

Simply replace the thermostat and go driving.

B

Check your ego Amigo!

Attachments:
BH_Riley_cylhead-007.jpg    31.1 KB
BH_Riley_cylhead-007.jpg

rcedward Avatar
rcedward Rob Edwards
Raleigh, NC, USA   USA
1969 MG MGB "182608"
1969 MG MGC GT "8651"
In reply to # 3888659 by riley1489 This blanking sleeve replaces the thermostat (never used in unison)

Au contraire!

https://www.mgexp.com/forum/mgb-and-gt-forum.1/anyone-using-a-blanking-sleeve-with-their.937414/

And apologies for linking to a different forum, but
http://www.britishcarforum.com/bobmuenchausen/12299.html

--
Rob Edwards
Raleigh, NC

riley1489 Avatar
1953 Jaguar XK120
1973 MG MGB
Fair enough.
I have only my great many years using bellows thermostat to rely on.

My hands on experience with these type thermostat and I use bellows type in my engines, (below). The 'temporary blanking sleeve' function only comes into play when the thermostat opens.
This is the best of both worlds, quick warm up and full cooling.

I will not want a full time blanking sleeve in my engines.

Just my take. The OP can do as he wishes.

B

Check your ego Amigo!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-09 06:19 PM by riley1489.

Attachments:
BH_bellows2.jpg    38.7 KB
BH_bellows2.jpg

MGB567 Avatar
MGB567 Gold Member Barrie Braxton
Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1966 MG MGB MkI "Money Guzzler"
1979 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion "Darkside"
"And apologies for linking to a different forum, but"

Why apologise? I was just about to go and search Bob's treatise discussed/linked here many times especially when Bob frequented MGE more than he does now. I run both.

Convertible: CKD 11/66 first registered 8/5/67. Owned since 3/77. 90% original sheet metal. 18GB +40 balanced with almost all new internals. Peter Burgess big valve fast road head. Piper 285. Fidanza FW. Basil's followers and pushrods. TR7clutch. TT exhaust. ARP everywhere. 123 ign. Needham 4synchro c/r box.. Stock rebuilt/replaced suspension. Superpro bushes. New brakes all round including all pipes in SS flex. Interior redone. CAMS approved roll bar and side bars. Lots more. Hybrid of o/e and show/fast road car. Not for sale - it's my toy!

GT: UK car built/sold December '78. Stripped back to bare shell with VW Golf flared guards, flush fit front and rear valances with front guards immovable. Front and rear seams removed,Torana XU1 vents, frenched indicators front & Mk1 rear lights. Powered by 'worked' Rover 5 litre V8 (ex TVR Chimaera) with efi. T5 box. FC IFS. CCE rear attached to Salisbury axle with Quaife. All new interior with MrMikes covers on MX5 seats. Retro4 7x15 rims (zero offset) and 205/55 rubber. Colour: Jaguar Storm. Not for sale - it's my sanity!

TRex73 Avatar
TRex73 Rex DeShon
Saint Joseph, MO, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB
thank you so much for the comments. I did find an article by the mg guru that explained it very well that they were used at different times.

Fairfield, CA, USA   USA
the blanking sleeve does not go into my 5-port alloy head....a core shift blocked that opening. I suppose that shifting kinda does what the sleeve was to do.<G>

1973 Pale Primrose Roadster. A nice 10-footer!
SUs, Datsun 5-speed

rcedward Avatar
rcedward Rob Edwards
Raleigh, NC, USA   USA
1969 MG MGB "182608"
1969 MG MGC GT "8651"
In reply to # 3888838 by MGB567 "And apologies for linking to a different forum, but"

Why apologise? I was just about to go and search Bob's treatise discussed/linked here many times especially when Bob frequented MGE more than he does now. I run both.

Apologies because it's often considered bad form to link to a "competing" forum. But I wanted to link to Bob's writeup and apparently that's where it now lives....

I run both as well

--
Rob Edwards
Raleigh, NC

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-09 09:11 PM by rcedward.

Steve S Avatar
Abingdon West, Southern California, USA   USA
Bad form or not, people link to this forum from the others all the time. Fair game. winking smiley

tvrgeek Avatar
tvrgeek Silver Member Scott S
Hillsborough, North Carolinia, USA   USA
1965 MG MGB
Emphasis on REDUCE, not block. FWIW, after a new rad and shroud, I have never overheated so have not bothered to install the one on my shelf.

In reply to # 3888599 by rcedward This subject comes up a lot here -- search and ye shall find!

You should be fine with just a thermostat and no blanking sleeve, but you'll probably be better still with both in installed. The sleeve will tend to reduce the amount of water that can bypass the thermostat when the 'stat is open, making sure that more goes through the radiator.

Cogito ergo sum periculoso

riley1489 Avatar
1953 Jaguar XK120
1973 MG MGB
If one were to use both thermostat and this blanking sleeve, I would drill a larger hole in the sleeve and oriented correctly at assembly.

B

Check your ego Amigo!

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster