AutoShrine Sponsor

rcedward Avatar
rcedward Rob Edwards
Raleigh, NC, USA   USA
1951 MG TD MkII "TDC6000"
1969 MG MGB "182608"
1969 MG MGC GT "8651"
1969 MG MGC GT "8806"    & more
In reply to # 3888991 by riley1489 If one were to use both thermostat and this blanking sleeve, I would drill a larger hole in the sleeve and oriented correctly at assembly.

B

Unnecessary. The sleeve does not bottom out in the chamber in the head so with the thermostat closed you'll still have the same flow through the bypass that you would without it. Even when the thermostat is open some coolant will still go around it and through the bypass passages, but less than would without the sleeve.

--
Rob Edwards
Raleigh, NC
http://www.mgcarz.com

If you're in NC, check out the North Carolina MG Car Club!
http://ncmgcc.org

"...good secondhand tools are much better than inferior new ones."

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Donthuis Avatar
Donthuis Don van Riet
Rijswijk, ZH, Netherlands   NLD
Personally I never understood why people would put blanking sleeves in and not just the right thermostat. Checking these thermostats on a regular basis on their opening temps from time to time is wise: two of my older 82C ones open rather late while my (German) old 74C one opens much faster than a brandnew one. Not to forget the newer ones often miss this small bypass hole with a tiny ball inside

Differences in opening and closing temps (hysteresis) over the different thermostats can be much larger than you think! eye rolling smiley

rcedward Avatar
rcedward Rob Edwards
Raleigh, NC, USA   USA
1969 MG MGB "182608"
1969 MG MGC GT "8651"
In reply to # 3889045 by Donthuis Personally I never understood why people would put blanking sleeves in and not just the right thermostat.

The thermostat + blanking sleeve idea came about because original-pattern thermostats which close off the bypass are no longer available. I would never run only the blanking sleeve in a street car.

--
Rob Edwards
Raleigh, NC

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-10 09:24 AM by rcedward.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
MGB567 Avatar
MGB567 Gold Member Barrie Braxton
Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1966 MG MGB MkI "Money Guzzler"
1979 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion "Darkside"
In reply to # 3889045 by Donthuis Personally I never understood why people would put blanking sleeves in and not just the right thermostat. Checking these thermostats on a regular basis on their opening temps from time to time is wise: two of my older 82C ones open rather late while my (German) old 74C one opens much faster than a brandnew one. Not to forget the newer ones often miss this small bypass hole with a tiny ball inside

Differences in opening and closing temps (hysteresis) over the different thermostats can be much larger than you think! eye rolling smiley

Read Bob's write up.

Convertible: CKD 11/66 first registered 8/5/67. Owned since 3/77. 90% original sheet metal. 18GB +40 balanced with almost all new internals. Peter Burgess big valve fast road head. Piper 285. Fidanza FW. Basil's followers and pushrods. TR7clutch. TT exhaust. ARP everywhere. 123 ign. Needham 4synchro c/r box.. Stock rebuilt/replaced suspension. Superpro bushes. New brakes all round including all pipes in SS flex. Interior redone. CAMS approved roll bar and side bars. Lots more. Hybrid of o/e and show/fast road car. Not for sale - it's my toy!

GT: UK car built/sold December '78. Stripped back to bare shell with VW Golf flared guards, flush fit front and rear valances with front guards immovable. Front and rear seams removed,Torana XU1 vents, frenched indicators front & Mk1 rear lights. Powered by 'worked' Rover 5 litre V8 (ex TVR Chimaera) with efi. T5 box. FC IFS. CCE rear attached to Salisbury axle with Quaife. All new interior with MrMikes covers on MX5 seats. Retro4 7x15 rims (zero offset) and 205/55 rubber. Colour: Jaguar Storm. Not for sale - it's my sanity!

davcar Avatar
davcar Silver Member David Carter
HERVEY BAY, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1969 MG MGB "Peggy-Sue"
1998 MG MGF "Lucy"
In reply to # 3889052 by rcedward
In reply to # 3889045 by Donthuis Personally I never understood why people would put blanking sleeves in and not just the right thermostat.

The thermostat + blanking sleeve idea came about because original-pattern thermostats which close off the bypass are no longer available. I would never run only the blanking sleeve in a street car.

Bellows thermostat now available from Rimmer Bros UK though not cheap. Click link below...!!!

https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-107590

“Stupid is a condition. Ignorance is a choice.”
Wiley Miller

MGCCQ Wide Bay Chapter Member

Donthuis Avatar
Donthuis Don van Riet
Rijswijk, ZH, Netherlands   NLD
Thanks for the intel, but prices like these put me off I'm afraid, they equal those for electrical fans eye popping smiley

BTW, there is no reference to any application in our B engine, just refs to earlier Triumphs of the MGA era, nor did I find any reference to these older types in Haynes or the factory manual confused smiley

In reply to # 3889510 by davcar
In reply to # 3889052 by rcedward

Bellows thermostat now available from Rimmer Bros UK though not cheap. Click link below...!!!

https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-107590

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-11 10:01 AM by Donthuis.

tvrgeek Avatar
tvrgeek Silver Member Scott S
Hillsborough, North Carolinia, USA   USA
1965 MG MGB
I believe the high performance thermostats can be located by just searching Summit:
https://www.summitracing.com/search?SortBy=BestKeywordMatch&SortOrder=Ascending&keyword=thermostat

I found: BRA-330-180 among others.

They seem to be high performance in that they have a larger opening. I think they are all still wax pellet based. Again, to run ad designed by MG in the last century, a sleeve is required. Personally, if my gauge fluctuated a few degrees, who cares as long as it does not overheat.

Curious, in the Morgan and TVR realms I used to be in, ( TR6 and TR-4 engines) this topic never came up and they are probably the most famous cars for overheating as unlike the MG, their systems were inadequate to start with and need all the help they can get. I no longer have any old heads lying around to see.

Cogito ergo sum periculoso

rcedward Avatar
rcedward Rob Edwards
Raleigh, NC, USA   USA
1969 MG MGB "182608"
1969 MG MGC GT "8651"
$88 and way too cold. I'll stick with what I've got thanks!

--
Rob Edwards
Raleigh, NC

tvrgeek Avatar
1965 MG MGB
$88? How cold is the thermostat. 160 to 190 take your pick.

MG Cruiser Avatar
MG Cruiser Gold Member Keith Delta4
Rockingham, WA, Australia   AUS
1970 MG MGB "Moneypit"
I have fitted the blank and the thermostat. There is strong recommendation that if the car is for road use then if the sleeve is fitted a thermostat should also be used.
Dont be surprised if you have to grind the top shoulder slightly on the sleeve for a good leak free fit. Keith

davcar Avatar
davcar Silver Member David Carter
HERVEY BAY, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1969 MG MGB "Peggy-Sue"
1998 MG MGF "Lucy"
In reply to # 3890139 by MG Cruiser I have fitted the blank and the thermostat. There is strong recommendation that if the car is for road use then if the sleeve is fitted a thermostat should also be used.
Dont be surprised if you have to grind the top shoulder slightly on the sleeve for a good leak free fit. Keith

Hi Keith

Would appreciate if you could report back on any improvements or differences.

Thanks DC MG

“Stupid is a condition. Ignorance is a choice.”
Wiley Miller

MGCCQ Wide Bay Chapter Member

tvrgeek Avatar
1965 MG MGB
All street cars should run a thermostat. ALL. Period. The blanking sleeve is to make the old head design work like a modern thermostat expects. Gad, this is not that hard.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster